Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG BAe JetStream 4100 Product overview

Captains-As promised a bit earlier today with our "Sneak Peek" (you didn't tell anyone, did you?) we also want to give you a bit of information on what we anticipate this product looking like when it rolls out to you (hopefully) next month!The PMDG BAe JetStream 4100 is a highly detailed, feature-rich study simulation of this modern commuter turboprop. From the early planning stages, our intent with this product has been to add a complex turboprop simulation to our growing stable of airliners, while using the development process to design, test and implement new technologies that can then be transferred to our larger airliner products. (more on those in a moment...)(Oh boy- does that sound like Corporate-Speak?)As you can see from images posted in the "Sneak Preview" thread, we've raised the bar on detail in the Virtual Cockpit rather dramatically. We've done this using a few design techniques that have helped us to create an visual environment that exceeds anything we've done yet.Given the size of this airplane relative to our widebody airliners, we've been able to dial up the visual detail on the external model, using nearly 1800 photographs taken by the development team as a guide to accuracy, detail and finish.Systems: Obviously, we have a treasure trove of resources related to this aircraft. We have also received some wonderful help from various corners of the J41 community, and this has helped us to prepare the highly detailed simulation of the systems on the airplane. Hydraulic, pneumatic, pressurization, electrical, ice and rain protection, fire protection, etc. All are modeled in fantastic detail, including even the nuances of the airplane.The J41 uses second generation glass displays, and these are modeled precisely in the simulation. Fit, form and operation matches the Operating Manual.We have chosen to model this airplane based on the 4101 model airplanes operated by my line, so we've included the TCAS v7, but it operates in TA mode, just like the real one... No fancy RA mode here, so be prepared to have a few moments of stark terror searching the sky for intruders that only the computers can see. :( The autopilot / flight director operation is realistic, which will give you a bit more work to do if (like me) you've become spoiled by the wonders of LNAV/VNAV. This autopilot will give you full LNAV capability in conjunction with the GNS/XLS flight management system, but you are going to learn some new techniques to plan and manage your vertical profile! We've added visual ice accumulation on areas of the airplane that would normally be expected to collect ice in such conditions. We've also given you the ice-detection system that will remind you when it is time to begin paying attention to your airplane.Speaking of paying attention: The Red and Yellow attention getters (read: Warning and caution system) operates realistically, along with the annunciators, caption panel and aural warnings.We've recorded a vast range of sounds from the actual airplane, which will add dramatically to the immersion of the simulation!Oh- and since you only get to see those attention getters and hear the warnings when things break- we are hard at work on an all-new failure-control module that will reflect some of the changes that you guys have been asking for over the past few years. There is some question in my mind as to whether this module will be ready for release-time, but we'll keep you posted. If it doesn't make the release- it will come to you in an update for certain. (We hate not delivering a finished product...so we'll see how it plays out...)Some of the new items we've brought into our development process for the first time:- Accurate model of the geared, garrett turboprop power plant. These engines are managed VERY differently than the free-turbine engines most of you are used to. We'll have some classes here after release so we can keep you from burning up your new engines on the first flight.- All analogue gauges in the airplane are modeled in 3D. If it has a needle and moves, it's done in 3D. This of course results in super-smooth animation.- We are introducing something we call the "Ramp Manager." This applet can be brought up from within the simulation and will allow you to arrange for parking codes, chocks, baggage carts, the airplane's overnight parking kit, Ground Power, etc. - The load manager will allow you to set your passenger, cargo and fuel loads as on other PMDG products- but now you'll see passengers in their appropriate seats within the cabin.- We've included a number of "Easter Eggs" that we'll just leave you to find. Some will amuse you, and some will surprise you with the innovation and realism that they add!Some things we've cut out:- We drastically cut back on the size of the manual for this airplane. We shed 1300 pages from the MD-11 manual- so you'll only get 500-or-so pages with this one. :( We are currently working to see if we can't provide a printed version of this manual in the <$50 range- which should please those who enjoy our printed MD-11 manuals.- We have elected not to develop a 2D cockpit for this product. This will displease some users who very much enjoy their 2D cockpit- but this is a design decision that allows us to focus our efforts on on greater levels of innovation by saving a significant amount of development time as well as system overhead. We are also in the process of putting together a comprehensive series of pre-defined view points that will make it easy to navigate and utilize the virtual cockpit.- We will not release an FS9 version of this product. Market data shows a decreasing trend on FS2004- so we have decided for this new product line to focus only on FSX- as this allows us the greatest opportunity to explore new technologies.So- this our "Secret Project" that became not-quite-so-secret a few months ago. :( We hope you know how much we enjoyed seeing the conversation progress in which you all debated what the project was. Given the drift of that conversation, you will no doubt be delighted to learn that the next airplane in the series will be a Dash. We aren't telling you which one, however... We can't take all the mystery out of it, now- can we?(Now aren't you glad you read until the end of the post?)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Do you know sometimes you guys just make me want to cry out in joy. This sounds absolutely superb Robert and team... a working ice detection system :( You guys have got to be kidding me! It's my first year anniversary of my marriage next month, I think my wife might have to have a present just a little bit less expensive than I'd hoped for after seeing this fantastic piece of software....now that's romance for you! :( Well done PMDG.RhydianAnd can I start the ball rolling on the "secret plane" guessing competition I think it's a.... dash....8.

Given the drift of that conversation, you will no doubt be delighted to learn that the next airplane in the series will be a Dash. We aren't telling you which one, however... We can't take all the mystery out of it, now- can we?
It's the Dash-7, obviously :)Thanks for the heads-up on the VC only thing - gives me a little time to work on my wife to allow a TrackIR purchase.

This is awesome news! But I guess that it's gonna take abit to get used to no 2D panel. - Philip

Sounds brilliant Robert! I'm wondering if I should get FSX just to get this... (:One, question..What are the frame rates like when comparing them to the 747/MD-11?And a Dash 8! :(

Philip-AH! now that's the spirit!Yes- if you aren't used to using a VC- it will take a little bit of adjustment. Not unlike when you get a new cellphone and it takes you a few days to get used to the new features and layout.We'll give you some options to ease the transition- and i think after a bit of flying- you'll really find it enhances the experience of "being there."The FPS in this VC is very good- and the gauge animation is very smooth. I've spent a few thousand hours flying this airplane- and for the first time in my experience, I find that the VC is uncompromisingly realistic in appearance.Makes me miss my old bird. :(

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Good news Robert (and the entire team).This aircraft has more details then ever seen in a simulation. I think this will be a best seller!Aircraft of this size are rarely seen in FS, so I think you made a good choice. Are you planning printed manuals for the JetStream too, or is this limited to the MD-11?

Hello, It will be an amazing product.Are you going to implement some of the new features into the MD-11 as an upgrade? I mean for example the new failures module and some of the new techniques in the VC and the icing things?Matyas Majzik

Robert (and the rest of PMDG),This aircraft looks absolutely fantastic, cant wait to get my hands on this beauty. The quality of these screen shots is by far the best i have ever seen in a FS product.Since this series looks like a sort of between express and the wide body fleet would you consider another BAe project like the AVRO RJ's? Nothing beets a steep approach into London City ;-) Im sure it will fit in perfectly in this series at some point and with your contact for the JS4100 im sure you can use the same contact for the RJ ;-) (if not i have a few contacts in BAe as Im flying this for a living)Rene

Guest Bud

I have never used the VC. I'm one of those who has the main 2D panel on another monitor with sec instruments on another one together with an overhead monitor. This leaves the view out on my three TH2G monitors. I've used this combo for a long time and never saw a reason to change.Having read the 'bad' news regarding no 2D, I was initially disappointed, then, on a whim, I took out the default Cessna for the first time in the VC. My godfathers, what a revelation. The sense of immersion is so immense, even with the default plane so I imagine that the PMDG offering will be a quantum leap forward. I just may be converted. I would, though be interested in knowing what the 'transitional' options will be.Bud

Guest cliffie1931
Captains-As promised a bit earlier today with our "Sneak Peek" (you didn't tell anyone, did you?) we also want to give you a bit of information on what we anticipate this product looking like when it rolls out to you (hopefully) next month!The PMDG BAe JetStream 4100 is a highly detailed, feature-rich study simulation of this modern commuter turboprop. From the early planning stages, our intent with this product has been to add a complex turboprop simulation to our growing stable of airliners, while using the development process to design, test and implement new technologies that can then be transferred to our larger airliner products. (more on those in a moment...)(Oh boy- does that sound like Corporate-Speak?)As you can see from images posted in the "Sneak Preview" thread, we've raised the bar on detail in the Virtual Cockpit rather dramatically. We've done this using a few design techniques that have helped us to create an visual environment that exceeds anything we've done yet.Given the size of this airplane relative to our widebody airliners, we've been able to dial up the visual detail on the external model, using nearly 1800 photographs taken by the development team as a guide to accuracy, detail and finish.Systems: Obviously, we have a treasure trove of resources related to this aircraft. We have also received some wonderful help from various corners of the J41 community, and this has helped us to prepare the highly detailed simulation of the systems on the airplane. Hydraulic, pneumatic, pressurization, electrical, ice and rain protection, fire protection, etc. All are modeled in fantastic detail, including even the nuances of the airplane.The J41 uses second generation glass displays, and these are modeled precisely in the simulation. Fit, form and operation matches the Operating Manual.We have chosen to model this airplane based on the 4101 model airplanes operated by my line, so we've included the TCAS v7, but it operates in TA mode, just like the real one... No fancy RA mode here, so be prepared to have a few moments of stark terror searching the sky for intruders that only the computers can see. :( The autopilot / flight director operation is realistic, which will give you a bit more work to do if (like me) you've become spoiled by the wonders of LNAV/VNAV. This autopilot will give you full LNAV capability in conjunction with the GNS/XLS flight management system, but you are going to learn some new techniques to plan and manage your vertical profile! We've added visual ice accumulation on areas of the airplane that would normally be expected to collect ice in such conditions. We've also given you the ice-detection system that will remind you when it is time to begin paying attention to your airplane.Speaking of paying attention: The Red and Yellow attention getters (read: Warning and caution system) operates realistically, along with the annunciators, caption panel and aural warnings.We've recorded a vast range of sounds from the actual airplane, which will add dramatically to the immersion of the simulation!Oh- and since you only get to see those attention getters and hear the warnings when things break- we are hard at work on an all-new failure-control module that will reflect some of the changes that you guys have been asking for over the past few years. There is some question in my mind as to whether this module will be ready for release-time, but we'll keep you posted. If it doesn't make the release- it will come to you in an update for certain. (We hate not delivering a finished product...so we'll see how it plays out...)Some of the new items we've brought into our development process for the first time:- Accurate model of the geared, garrett turboprop power plant. These engines are managed VERY differently than the free-turbine engines most of you are used to. We'll have some classes here after release so we can keep you from burning up your new engines on the first flight.- All analogue gauges in the airplane are modeled in 3D. If it has a needle and moves, it's done in 3D. This of course results in super-smooth animation.- We are introducing something we call the "Ramp Manager." This applet can be brought up from within the simulation and will allow you to arrange for parking codes, chocks, baggage carts, the airplane's overnight parking kit, Ground Power, etc. - The load manager will allow you to set your passenger, cargo and fuel loads as on other PMDG products- but now you'll see passengers in their appropriate seats within the cabin.- We've included a number of "Easter Eggs" that we'll just leave you to find. Some will amuse you, and some will surprise you with the innovation and realism that they add!Some things we've cut out:- We drastically cut back on the size of the manual for this airplane. We shed 1300 pages from the MD-11 manual- so you'll only get 500-or-so pages with this one. :( We are currently working to see if we can't provide a printed version of this manual in the <$50 range- which should please those who enjoy our printed MD-11 manuals.- We have elected not to develop a 2D cockpit for this product. This will displease some users who very much enjoy their 2D cockpit- but this is a design decision that allows us to focus our efforts on on greater levels of innovation by saving a significant amount of development time as well as system overhead. We are also in the process of putting together a comprehensive series of pre-defined view points that will make it easy to navigate and utilize the virtual cockpit.- We will not release an FS9 version of this product. Market data shows a decreasing trend on FS2004- so we have decided for this new product line to focus only on FSX- as this allows us the greatest opportunity to explore new technologies.So- this our "Secret Project" that became not-quite-so-secret a few months ago. :( We hope you know how much we enjoyed seeing the conversation progress in which you all debated what the project was. Given the drift of that conversation, you will no doubt be delighted to learn that the next airplane in the series will be a Dash. We aren't telling you which one, however... We can't take all the mystery out of it, now- can we?(Now aren't you glad you read until the end of the post?)
"Estupendo!" . No other word for it.Having said that allow me to have a gripe with you guys, Robert.In my youth many moons ago I well remember my infatuation with Girl Number One. It was her and only her for me. Time went by and Girl Number Two emerged from the shadows and it was her and only her for me. You get the drift."The Queen" was born and I forsook all others. Until the MD-11 tok her place and she became the only one for me.So now.........this beauty pops up and I'm smitten all over again.You guys put temptation in my path and I'm beginning to feel guilty. Is it only me with this problem?Cliff

Guest jlm

thankyou for infocan you give any details on how the power levers will function - detent / stop to simulate F.I.thanks in advancejohn

Too bad there wont be a 2D panel in this product, but is this also going to be the case with the NG 2.0 ?