Sign in to follow this  
Guest AJ

Airports with bad (Bitumus) runways - Make sticky!

Guest AJ

I have long been thinking this needs to be done, and if we can keep this list clean and a moderator will make it sticky, it could be of use to many. I have searched the forum and complied a rudimentary list of questionable airports. As others have suggested this problem seems to do with the surface material , bitumus. Aparantly the PMDG 744 is deathly allergic to this material. If you use the AFCAD editor, you will see that all of the airports in question share runways with this material. ONce you identify an airport with Bitumus runways, it is easy to change the surface to asphalt or concrete using the editor, and the problem goes away. Unfortunately, I do not know of a quick way of identifying these airports, other than by users reporting their experiences, or by searching them one, by one. Therefore, feel free to add locations that you have encountered. Also if anyone encounters other surface types that case problems, please also post them here.NZAA Auckland, New ZealandWSSS SingaporeVNKT Katmandu, NepalLIRF Rome, ItalyHDAM DjiboutiNFFN, Fiji

Great idea!I noticed bitumus runways also in PANC Anchorage and LOWW Vienna.Micha

Hi, simply switch off the unrealistic crash dectection. This is also necessary when flying online. Jan-Paul

Guest wisborg

>Hi, >>simply switch off the unrealistic crash dectection. This is>also necessary when flying online. >That has never worked for me. The plane still crashes. I actually thought it was a feature of the PMDG planes (and it's also the case for another add-on aircraft I have)./ Jesper

Guest AJ

>Hi, >>simply switch off the unrealistic crash dectection. This is>also necessary when flying online. >>Jan-PaulIF you change the runway surface, this is not neccessary. Not everyone wants to disable crash detection.Andrew

Guest AJ

>>Hi, >>>>simply switch off the unrealistic crash dectection. This is>>also necessary when flying online. >>>That has never worked for me. The plane still crashes. I>actually thought it was a feature of the PMDG planes (and it's>also the case for another add-on aircraft I have).>>/ Jesper>It has to do with the greater sensitivity the flight models of PMDG aircraft and some others.Andrew

Guest AJ

Just bumping this up for the evening crew to see :-)Andrew

Yes, I experienced this at Kathmandu. FSNavigator will tell you what the airport surface is. I just wish I knew how to change the surface type. Jonathan

JonathanThat's easy. Just download and install freeware AFCAD.exe and you can change almost everything to your liking.Roland

Guest wisborg

>It has to do with the greater sensitivity the flight models of>PMDG aircraft and some others.>>AndrewYes, I'm aware of that - but turning crash detection off, doesn't change my ability to crash. I still crash on bitumus runways and when AI traffic taxis through me./ Jesper

Guest AJ

>Jonathan>>That's easy. Just download and install freeware AFCAD.exe and>you can change almost everything to your liking.>>RolandThank you, Roland. This is exatly the point I am trying to get across. This problem is very very easy to fix. The hard part is finding the airports with Bitumus runways (they are realtively rare). Unfortunately, all to many of us find them by landing on them after a long-haul VA flight. What a miserable end to a great flight! So please keep listing any Bitumus airports you run into (pardon the pun).Andrew

Guest AJ

>Great idea!>>I noticed bitumus runways also in PANC Anchorage and LOWW>Vienna.>>MichaLOWW does have bitumus runways, however I checked PANC and all the runways were asphalt. Could you be thinking of a different location?Andrew

Thanks for the guidance, Roland.Jonathan

I went to the AVSIM library and tried to search for AFCAD.exe but it returned 2783 files. I did manage to find AFCAD 221. zip but on executing it, it says " This version is 26 months old. There is probably an updated version now..." but it's difficult to find the latest version.I have never used any of this stuff, so any pointer to the latest version would be gratefully accepted, thanks!Jonathan