Sign in to follow this  
Guest Callmecapt

Shockwave lights

Guest Callmecapt

This one is for the developers or anyone who is an expert in aircraft.cfg's.I bought the shockwave lights a few days ago and they have some instructions on installing these lights in add on aircraft, including the 747. However, after trying their method, I get misaligned strobes on the wingtips when the aircraft is in flight, because of the wing flex and the nav lights are close to the engines and slightly forward.I have found another way to fix it by making a copy of the appropriate shockwave light in the effects folder, backing up the relevant PMDG light and renaming the shockwave light to the new PMDG light. This works but not to the extent I would like it too. I need more intensity in the landing lights and taxi lights and I'm assuming this is done in the aircraft.cfgAny help in this mini project would be appreciated.Goran

Goran,I don't think you can expect any help from the devs. You know they don't support modifications. ;-)If you are talking about the light cones you see from inside the cockpit there has been discussions about them lately. There are modiciaftions available in the AVSIM library but you need to do the research yourself.Hope it helps,

Guest Callmecapt

aaawwww, c'mon mats.We're all one big happy family. What's a mod between family?;-) I was talking about the intensity of the lights.That's the only thing I am interested in getting.They are a little small. The only thing I can think of doing is doubling the landing lights line in the aircraft.cfg but there are no landing lights entries there except in the electrical section and like most add ons with the shockwave produced mods, the nose gear lights are connected to the landing lights and the nose gear lights only go off when the landing lights are turned off.I'm sure at least 1 person on the dev team has tried the shockwave lights.If they can take 2 minutes of their time to help those of us who prefer that little extra bit of realism on an otherwise perfect product, (major sucking up attempt) it would be greatly appreciated.Goran

Guest ziporama

Hello,I haven't figured out a way to fix the landing lights (yet), BUT, the good news is that if you make a backup of the PMDG MD 11 related files in your Flight SimulatorEffects folder (these would be the .fx files), you can replace, using the same name, with the suitable A2A (Shockwave) effects. Make a backup because you will be replacing the delivered FX files with Shockwave's.This appears to works for nav lights, strobes and beacons, and these do follow the wing flex. Unfortunately, the MD 11 uses the built-in landing lights from FSX, and that seems a bit of an issue to get those to turn on correctly. I'm still working on a workaround for this.I surmise that adding the landing lights entries to the aircraft.cfg may work, but I need to play with it a bit more.From the technical side, what's happening is that the FSX model directly references the .fx files, leaving the aircraft.cfg out cold.Cheers,Etienne MartinAVSIM staff reviewer

Guest ziporama

Yes, the process should be very similar for the 744 although different files need to be modified in the FSXeffects folder:fx_pmdg_wingtip_l, fx_pmdg_wingtip_r, and fx_pmdg744_beacon (from a cursory look).For the MD-11, the files have the words MD 11 in them.The 744 does have the white navigation light and the landing lights and strobes in the aircraft.cfg so changing the references there (after making a backup) should work as well.Hope this helps,and did I stress make backups in case things don't quite work out?Etienne

I failed to make a back up. Could someone post the original 747 and 74f light setup from the config file so I can put my airplanes back to normal? :-) BTW this is for FS9.Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

Has ANYBODY got the shockwave lights to work correctly for the FSX version yet?? I am a computer program dummy... and I am NOT about to dig into the files and "experiment" :(

Brian Murphy

Guest jasp25@gmail.com

how do you guys install / tweak the panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg for the 2d cockpits of the -600, -700, -800, -900 series of the pmdg 737?i can't see the effect on 2d aircraft.. how do you guys do it?thanks

Hey Etienne,You refer to the MD11: will your fix work on the 747 (FS9 and FSX) do

Brian Murphy

Guest Kiddpsychotic
Again.... ANYBODY done this yet that has worked out well??? The lighs are the ONLY weak point to this A/C!!!
Hello I too have worked with this problem, and I can tell you this much, the wingtip Nav's and stobes should probably be left alone, notice that they are not listed under the "lights" section of the 747 Aircraft cfg file, here is a quote from Scott of A2A Simulations "The strobes and nav lights on the wing tips are installed in the PMDG model, so these entries should not be in the aircraft.cfg - leave these stock".You can add shockwave lighting to the two red beacons on the top and bottom of the 747, but the inboard/outboard landing lights on the left and right wings are problematic at best, and while the look of the brighter shockwave lights at these positions do look better, the functioning of the lights themselves are not authentic, ie: if you turn on the switch that controls the left inboard/outboard wing landing lights, the right side turns on also, therefore only one switch needs to be used to turn on all landing lights, that's fine, but our reason for purchasing these PMDG products in the first place is because they are as close to the real thing as it gets!After tinkering around with these shockwave lights for awhile I just returned everything back to the way PMDG created it, I figured if you can't get these lights to work exactly as they should, then why have them at all, but that's me; the only way I'll except this new lighting is if PMDG decides to incorporate it into the aircraft.Hope this helpsHarry

After tinkering around with these shockwave lights for awhile I just returned everything back to the way PMDG created it, I figured if you can't get these lights to work exactly as they should, then why have them at all, but that's me; the only way I'll except this new lighting is if PMDG decides to incorporate it into the aircraft.Hope this helpsHarry
I do hope PMDG does work on the lights a bit... in MY opinion... that is the ONLY week point of this beautiful product!!!

Brian Murphy

Dear Goran,I have edited Aircraft cfg. [LIGHTS] in easy way as below:[LIGHTS]light.0 = 3, -225.90, 0.30, 4.72, fx_navwhih, //Position Aftlight.1 = 3, -225.90, -0.30, 4.72, fx_navwhih, //Position Aft// light.2 = 2, -225.52, 0.00, 3.94, fx_strobeh, //Strobe Aft// light.3 = 1, -33.596, 0.00, 14.868, fx_pmdg744_beacon, //Beacon Top// light.4 = 1, -86.149, 0.00, -11.735, fx_pmdg744_beacon, //Beacon Bottom// light.5 = 8, -77.000, 26.00, -4.000, fx_pmdgwinglight, //Wing Right// light.6 = 8, -77.000, -26.00, -4.000, fx_pmdgwinglight, //Wing Leftlight.2 = 3, -225.52, 0.00, 3.94, fx_shockwave_strobe_l light.3 = 1, -33.596, 0.00, 14.868, fx_shockwave_beaconh light.4 = 1, -86.149, 0.00, -11.735, fx_shockwave_beaconb // light.3 = 3, -145.850, 97.80, 3.000, fx_shockwave_navgre // light.4 = 3, -145.850, -97.80, 3.000, fx_shockwave_navred light.5 = 5, -76.800, 20.40, -3.700, fx_Shockwave_Landing_light // ShockWave light light.6 = 5, -76.800, -20.40, -3.700, fx_Shockwave_Landing_light // ShockWave light light.7 = 5, -75.500, 18.30, -3.700, fx_Shockwave_Landing_light // ShockWave light light.8 = 5, -75.500, -18.30, -3.700, fx_Shockwave_Landing_light // ShockWave lightSincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

Nice info for the PMDG Ops wiki section.. why not an article on how to use shockwave lights with the PMDG products?

Dan Downs KCRP