Sign in to follow this  
Ephemeral

MD-11 Polar Operation

Hello,I recently attempted a polar crossing in the MD-11 and it functioned by the book until around N85, that is it auto switched to TRU heading mode. At N85 I did not see any magenta ND annunciation of "FMS Track" as the documentation predicts. Additionally once I traveled within 2nm of N90 I did not see any indication that the aircraft had entered a Wings-Level mode. Instead the aircraft seemed to want to keep jerking to its right hand side until I was miles clear of N90.My question(s):Is the PMDG MD-11 able to cross the FSX poles in accordance with how the real aircraft acts north of N85?Is there still an issue with poles in FSX?Also congratulations on the release, she is absolutely wonderful :)I really appreciate all the hard work and love which obviously went into the creation of this masterpiece. Thank you for any information.Sam Anderson

Guest FirstOfficerFast

I think that the MSFS has always had severe issues with the poles, FSX is no exception. Try to start at Amundsen Scott, and you'll notice that stuff immediately starts going wrong...Niklas

Sam,Other than the change to TRU mode the polar navigation functionality is not implemented in the current version of the MD-11. It was on our list but didn't make it for the release version. We add it in the next update. I am not sure if FSX has overcome the pole crossing problems that FS9 exhibited, but we will check that as well.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Thank you for the answer! Looking forward to seeing it fully implemented after the update!Great work guys :)Sam Anderson

Yes, FSX did fix the pole problem as the world was remodeled from a cylinder to a true sphere for the first time in FS franchise history. That was part of the issue with not re-using AFCADS from FS9 to FSX as it threw them of in altitude a bit along the length of the runways. The issue of circumnavigating the poles was greatly reduced in that, the banging the physical wall as you described at only 2nm, used to occure around 89.5N/S.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest FirstOfficerFast

So the improvement is that you can get 28 NM closer to the pole than before? Big deal :DNiklasEdit: Just tried it out, I got to S89

Sorry, I can't remember the exact FS9 N/S limit. It may have only been 70.0N/S or something to that affect. In other words, in FS9 you couldn't even get close to the poles.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest yawdamper

I don't think the Earth was modeled as a cylinder in the past, I rather think they put quaternions to good use :-)

Sam,Other than the change to TRU mode the polar navigation functionality is not implemented in the current version of the MD-11. It was on our list but didn't make it for the release version. We add it in the next update. I am not sure if FSX has overcome the pole crossing problems that FS9 exhibited, but we will check that as well.
With LNAV mode, the LVLD-767 FSX somehow flies all right over the polar, but in a little faked way. I would like it that MD-11 FSX will be able to fly precisely passing over the polar.Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara