Sign in to follow this  
mfrantz

PMDG MD11Utility that fixes Vista write permissions

Some PMDG MD-11X Vista Users have experienced problems that were caused by write access denial on some folders that the PMDG MD-11X needs to access. Symptoms of this problem include:- Load Manager "Send To File" option not working- Options changes made from the Addons->PMDG menu not retained- Flight plans and panel states not saved- Keyboard commands cannot be assigned from the Addons->PMDG menu We are providing a utility that fixes this problem.You can download it for the PMDG website:http://www.precisionmanuals.com/from the Downloads->Miscellaneus section (MD-11X OSDetect/Fix)This utility will work both in Windows XP and Vista and will report the versions of the installed Operating System, Microsoft FSX and PMDG MD-11X related applications. Additionally, for Vista users only, it will provide a button to fix the write permissions issue.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Guest cliffie1931

I do have Vista Michael.Thanks for the info.Cliff

Guest 91101

Thank you. This fixed my options save problem.-Brandon

Guest cliffie1931

I still have the problem Michael. Is there another solution perhaps?Cliff

Guest D17S

For the Vista folks, ya'll might try shutting down Vista's "User Account Control" feature (UAC). It's always the first thing I do after a fresh op system install. I've never had the problems described here.

Guest cliffie1931

Bingo Sam!Put my mind at rest will you? I cancelled UAC and saved a Panel State with no problem. However before being able to cancel it Vista tried to frighten the life out of me with dire warnings of the dangers I face if I forget to turn it on again after, presumably, my flying session.That I'm prepared to deal with but do you happen to know if there can be a problem that could be caused while I'm in FSX and UAC is cancelled?Cliff

Guest D17S

UAC is just a nag. Basically it just makes folks click through a couple more "are you sure?" prompts. This a boom to MS tech support, but we did survive XP without it. With UAC enabled, there are just not so many, "OOps, I didn't mean to delete that" problems. Running with UAC off will not hurt or endanger anything while flying. But remember, there are still bad guys out there. Don't disregard your normal prophylactic software. Don't leave home without it.

Guest cliffie1931

Having to set up flights from scratch every time is a pain in the pinny so being able to save Panel States is a boon. Thanks for getting me through the problem.Regards...............Cliff

Guest Totalbeginner

I've used this utility as recommended, but I still can't assign a key to the MD11 TOGA switch. I've been successful at assigning A/P disconnect and ATS disconnect, but the TOGA switch only seems to work if you press the actual switch?What am I doing wrong? Has anybody actually managed to successfully map a key to the TOGA switch?Regards,Martin Neep

Martin,It should work, works here all the time. There are three alternate ways to achieve this: a. assign a keyboard command from the PMDG menu, b. use the FSX command for Go-Around assigned to a keyboard shortcut (CTRL+SHIFT+G by default)c. Map the FSX command for Go-Around to a joystick/yoke buttonwhich one have you tried and didn't work?

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

>>Some PMDG MD-11X Vista Users have experienced problems that>were caused by write access denial on some folders that the>PMDG MD-11X needs to access. >>Symptoms of this problem include:>- Load Manager "Send To File" option not working>- Options changes made from the Addons->PMDG menu not>retained>- Flight plans and panel states not saved>- Keyboard commands cannot be assigned from the Addons->PMDG>menu >>We are providing a utility that fixes this problem.>You can download it for the PMDG website:>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/>from the Downloads->Miscellaneus section (MD-11X>OSDetect/Fix)>>This utility will work both in Windows XP and Vista and will>report the versions of the installed Operating System,>Microsoft FSX and PMDG MD-11X related applications.>Additionally, for Vista users only, it will provide a button>to fix the write permissions issue. > Hi sir,I get the unable to save panel states error in the PMDG 747 (and MD-11, but that's ok now of course due to your post). Is there a fix for that?Thanks

Guest Totalbeginner

>Martin,>>It should work, works here all the time. >>There are three alternate ways to achieve this: >a. assign a keyboard command from the PMDG menu, >b. use the FSX command for Go-Around assigned to a keyboard>shortcut (CTRL+SHIFT+G by default)>c. Map the FSX command for Go-Around to a joystick/yoke>button>>which one have you tried and didn't work? > >>I've tried all of the above, but nothing works. I make sure that I'm on approach with the aircraft properly configured!If I bring up the throttle view and physically press the TOGA button, then the aircraft will initiate a go-around no problem. But absolutely nothing happens with the key assignments.It just doesn't make sense, because I've managed to assign keys to ATS disconnect and AP disconnect, no problem??Is anyone else having this issue?Regards,Martin Neep

This is identified now as a bug. It affects both the ATS disengage and the Go-Around events. Control assignments for these will only work when set from the PMDG menu, not from the FSX menu, so it is not possible to assign a joystick/yoke button to them.Will be fixed in the next update (that will be available when the FS9 version is released).

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

Guest D17S

As a workaround, you can assign keystrokes in the PMDG menu for ATS disco (or anything else), then assign those same keystrokes to your joystick via FSUIPC. That's the way I've always handled specially functions. This works Without that ATS disco available on the stick, I'd never land. The airplane gets slow and underspeed re-engages the ATS. When I see airspeed go yellow, I just start punching my joy's ATS disco assigned button. Otherwise, by the time I saw the acceleration, it'd always be too late. In other words, "Stay out of it Otto, I've got it!"Watch for this too: There might be times that after an underspeed ATS auto re-engagement, then a manual disco, thrust will no longer respond to thrust lever movement. The thrust levers are just dead. Then you'll crash. See if you ever get this.