Sign in to follow this  
Guest sruddy

asx simmconect multiple servers one client?

Guest sruddy

Hi Jim or Damian,This is Sean up in AK.I have been testing ASX for use on our simulators and am very impressed with your product. I have set it up on one of our test simulators and can control the weather from my laptop. Pretty cool!However I would like to run fsx on the client computer and on the "server" in multiplayer and affect changes in the weather simultaneously.Effectively I am looking to have multiple FSX "servers" weather pushed from one client.Thanks,Sean

Guest sruddy

In this instance I believe it is a yes I am using the "pure" multiplayer.I would like to have one computer sit right seat and have god like powers over the weather that MS seems to have left out of the multiplayer environment.

Hi,OK, I don't know that much about multiplayer so you answered that for me about the weather.So the next thing would be to dive into those files that you manually set up when you installed ASX on that laptop. If you can network the FSX computers to the laptop, you might be able to direct the ASX weather to each computer through those files.Make any sense?Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest sruddy

Seems like the key would be setting up the simconnect.cfg.I am not sure how or if you can put multiple ip's in the simConnect.cfgI just tried putting address=10.1.1.3,127.0.0.1 and got a null exception error from asx when I tried to apply the weather."Value cannot be null" Argument array is nothing...After The error I let it quit and send the error to ms. Now asx is running really slowwllleey and it has been loading for about 5min. It is not happy probably need to restart the box.Neither sim was affected.killed asx set simconnect.cfg back to remote fsx box with 1 ip works again.I tried it with a non loopback addy and a space between ip's. same effect.e.g. address=10.1.1.3 10.1.1.31I tried 2 [simconect] sections in the .cfg and it only reads the first one.No mention of other uses in the sdk.Any ideas?Thanks,Sean

Guest sruddy

Hey Jim,This is backwards land though. When I first set this up I had it backwards as I want an asx server talking to flight sim clients.FSX computer = Server where the simconnect.xml resides.The client is the asx computer I want to serve / push data from. I am trying to serve the remote fsx computer as well as the local fsx instance. I did have the local instance properly configured as a server (although I did not share out the local directories :-)so the 64 lets the instance of fsx accept as many as 64 simconnect clients. It would probably be nice for HiFi if I bought 64 asx client licenses. The fsx server frame rates would suffer under the D O S attack! (so would my credit card...)ThanksSean

Hi,The clients are the FSX machines that need our weather through SimConnect. That is where the max clients comes into play.The server is the machine that has ASX installed on it, such as your laptop, with NO FSX on it.You are right, you did have things working with 2 machines. Now you need to expand that network, through SimConnect to include the other FSX machines. You might want to make a general type of post in the SimConnect Forum here at AVSIM.Yes, one way around this is multiple purchases!Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest sruddy

Hey Jim Thanks for working on this over the weekend!>Hi,>>The clients are the FSX machines that need our weather through>SimConnect. That is where the max clients comes into play.>From the documentation:The computer to run FSX (hereby named SERVER) and the computer(s) to run SimConnect add-ons (hereby named CLIENT(s)) must be appropriately configured for normal IP networking >The server is the machine that has ASX installed on it, such>as your laptop, with NO FSX on it.>>You are right, you did have things working with 2 machines.>Now you need to expand that network, through SimConnect to>include the other FSX machines. You might want to make a>general type of post in the SimConnect Forum here at AVSIM.I Have FSX running on the laptop and asx. The remote fsx machine is the one receiving the asx weather updates. The local fsx on my laptop is not receiving weather from asx. >>Yes, one way around this is multiple purchases!Do I need to run 2 instances of asx on the same box (or laptop in this case)? To do this do I need 2 licenses? Can this actually work?>>Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/

Guest sruddy

Good Monday to you Jim.Yes, the terminology but more importantly the architecture! Do you see why I was messing with the simconnect.cfg on the asx "client"?I can setup a 3rd computer for this test as you suggest but I thought/think it would be very similar to have the laptop asx client to also be an fsx server as well and have my desktop be a fsx server. This is ultimately the functionality that I am looking for.So now that you have a better understanding of the product architecture can you or someone at HiFi answer the question from my previous post (and indeed the thread tittle) about how or if I can have 2 fsx servers talking to one asx client?"I am not sure how or if you can put multiple ip's in the simConnect.cfgI just tried putting address=10.1.1.3,127.0.0.1 and got a null exception error from asx when I tried to apply the weather."Value cannot be null" Argument array is nothing...After The error I let it quit and send the error to ms. Now asx is running really slowwllleey and it has been loading for about 5min. It is not happy probably need to restart the box.Neither sim was affected.killed asx set simconnect.cfg back to remote fsx box with 1 ip works again.I tried it with a non loopback addy and a space between ip's. same effect.e.g. address=10.1.1.3 10.1.1.31I tried 2 sections in the .cfg and it only reads the first one.No mention of other uses in the sdk.Any ideas?"

Hi Sean,I guess I'm a bit confused from your very first post. To me it sounds like you have ASX on one machine and it is sending the weather to the other machine just as many other do, using a network and the network steps in our documentation. Is this correct?Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest sruddy

>Hi Sean,>>I guess I'm a bit confused from your very first post. To me it>sounds like you have ASX on one machine and it is sending the>weather to the other machine just as many other do, using a>network and the network steps in our documentation. Is this>correct?>Yes.ASX works as advertised. I was able to setup 1 FSX server with one ASX client.Now I want to point ASX client to 2 FSX servers (one server happens to be on the same computer as the client). If need be I can setup a 3rd computer on the network to be the second FSX server but that is more hardware than we (an other potential HiFI customers) want to use ultimately.I would like to run asx client on the computer1 and FSX server on the computer1 and FSX server on computer2 receiving the same ASX weather on both instances of FSX.This if possible opens the door for HiFi to sell more licenses because MS left out the ability to change weather settings in multiplayer.Multiplayer is MS answer to an instructor station. Without weather control it is not the most useful instructor station (but it is cool to be able to sit in the virtual right seat).Thanks,Sean

Guest sruddy

how would I configure the simconnect.cfg to point to 2 servers?I have already triedaddress= ip1,ip2andaddress= ip1 ip2Thanks,Sean