Sign in to follow this  
hightower

This is absurd...

Got my Vista PC this week with tongue in cheek. To my surprise, it loaded the legacy programs I had been running on XP. Great, I thought. On to loading FS9.Loaded FSNav, FS Genesis World Mesh, UT, Active Sky V6, 74 scenery program, 100+ aircraft, all of the WO of AI folders, etc. Same menu as I had on my old Athlon 1.4, 40GB HD, 1 GB of memory and a 128mb ATI card. Had a slight slide show effect from time to time, which is why I upgraded to a new PC with a 2.8 Athlon 64 5600, 250GB HD, 4GB of memory and a 512mb GEforce 8500 GT card.Started FS9 and couldn't even get through the opening screen when I got the "Your PC has run out of memory" window. WHAT? This is absurd. Virtual memory set to 8192 mb's. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? My performance rating is a 5.2 out of a possible 6.Is this what Vista is all about? Sorry for the rant, but I'm really at a lose to explain why I'm getting the "Out of Memory" window.I would GREATLY appreciate any advice or suggestions on what to do here. I may ultimately be forced to go back to XP, but I'd really like a plausible explanation of what is going on here. Thanks. Chris

Guest jimcooper1

Is it Vista32 or Vista64?Jim

Did you install all your add-ons all at the same time?I recommend to my users that, if they get a new computer, they should install their addons one-at-a-time, slowly, over time. Spread it out.That makes identifying potential troublesome issues and conflicts easier.Cheers,Bryan

My OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit.Yes. I did install all at once, but have done so on my dinosaur 1.4 with nary a burp. 4 times the memory and it won't load FS9.Thanks for the reply.Chris

There's alot of discussion about this but it essentially boils down to 32-bit isn't enough for today's apps. My understanding is that Vista put the video memory in with the program memory and on 32-bit systems those two combined cause an out-of-memory. Now that sounds dumb but if the program can manipulate 3D data directly that would greatly improve what the computer could do graphically.

Not to be facitious or something like that, but it appears that many have problems when upgrading to Vista when what they had in XP performed very well.I had to rebuild due to a power supply frying some of my components, e.g. MoB, memory, video card. So I replaced those items along with a new CPU, but since XP was working well, although I admit my older system was slow, with the new componets and XP, my FS9 runs fantastically better. As the saying goes, "If it 'aint broke, don't fix it". New OS's always seem to cause headaches until all the bugs are worked out which takes some time, maybe years.Just a thought.Jim D.a.k.a. 'ilovetofly'

Guest Shalomar

I get that message sometimes when Active Sky is still going thru its opening download etc... Just two days ago I got the error after Active Sky was done; but after five or so minutes I was able to start FS9.Hope this may help...Best regards, Donald T. :-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Ya know! I got a copy of Vista when I built my new system. As the old Spiritual goes, "Nobody Knows The Troubles I seen." I had commented on them in previous posts. I too am quite happy to have reverted to XP and left My Vista CD on the shelf. I do admire the Folks out there who struggled with Vista to make it work correctly with FS9 and also post their results on the forums. But I gotta Fly and ain't got the time for messin around with a counter intuitive kluge like this OS. Two Cent's, for what it's worth.Bill :-hang :-hang :-hang