Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Thanks for 32000 downloads! BETA 8 available NOW!

Guest cbuchner1

Hello everyone!Wow - until recently I wasn't aware that 32000 people have downloaded Tileproxy Beta 7 since its availability. In the end that amounted to about 150 downloads a day - and about 10 TB in download volume in total.After an 8 month hiatus, there is now a new release of Tileproxy. https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...lease_id=636540While the program code itself hasn't changed much except for a few minor details, I have an interesting new feature to offer. A new static photo scenery of the entire earth will allow FSX to load the Tileproxy scenery significantly faster. This should be a really good reason to upgrade! Bummer #1: Due to the added photo scenery this release is 342 MB in size - Beware, the installation may take 10 minutes to complete.Bummer #2 follows:I have to announce the discontinuation of download services for all previous Tileproxy versions effective immediately.Google Inc. kindly (but authoritatively) asked to block access to any server in the domain *.google.com from the Tileproxy application. In return for my cooperation I was offered a free T-Shirt which I considered to be the better deal - as opposed to a lawsuit. Let me stress that Google was very forthcoming in this matter and contact with me was established by their engineering department - not the legal department.Beta 8 is available now - it will refuse to contact Google's servers. Please either upgrading to the latest version - or discontinue of any use of the "Service Example #2" (Google Maps) provider from the INI file (that's the nagging one which is throwing captcha requests all the time, anyway).Where is Tileproxy going in the future, you might ask?I am probably going to discontinue this code following Beta Release 9 or 10 (which I might as well start to call version 1.0). The reason is that the code is a giant mess and difficult to maintain and fix. A rewrite is in order.Instead, future releases of Tileproxy might do a few things much differently - and smarter.* I am dropping the tileproxy.sys filesystem driver for more reliability!* I will use CUDA acceleration for key algorithms - more speed!* All new CODE, mostly written from scratch - and with a GUI.* Use of blessed and official APIs to map services only. No more direct network access will be initiated by Tileproxy.When, you might ask? At least a year out.Until then, enjoy Beta 8 (and maybe 9 and 10).Christian

Guest vonduck1

Awesome my friend! Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about the Google thing ... big companies eh! At least you got a tee short! :)One question, do we need to uninstall the 7 version or simply use this to upgrade it?CheersDoug

Guest cbuchner1

Installing over should work fine. Just make sure afterwards that the LOD8 scenery has the right priority in the scenery library. It's described in the manual in the Installation chapter.

Guest rbrown3rd

Thanks Christian. Installed fine over my previous installation. Runs ok but a bit slow on my old machine. But, it runs. The strange thing however is that my planes fly around with the doors open and no landing gear struts. Have you seen this before? Probably my old video card. TPMaule.jpg

Too bad about Google. I'm sure many would gladly pay a small monthly fee to use their service with TP..that would be a better way to solve the "problem" IMO. I hope the other service providers don't follow suit and demand their domains blocked too.Rewrite sounds good.. Not sure about Cuda - that would mean I have to upgrade (again...) in order to get decent performance since I'm only using a Radeon card. But that's the way Flightsimming works..keep throwing money into the bottomless pit to keep the sim running.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Make sure WORLD_LOD8 appears just below WORLD_0000 in the scenery library.Wooha. Sorry for editing your mail, instead of replying to it.The question was how to make sure the LOD8 scenery priorities were set correctly.Christianbelow are not really MY system specs ;)

Guest cbuchner1

The problem is that Google are not at liberty to sub-license the images. If they tolerate unauthorized use of their images, their sat data providers may shut off their supply with fresh images.CUDA would be optional BTW. there is a fallback to the CPU.

Thank you for your effort with TileProxy Christian!!Now I can't help wondering about the t-shirt.. Does it say "I probed Google and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"? ;)Looking forward to your future creations...Regards,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Guest spybaz

Hello,Excuse my lameness, but where can I find this update. Everywhere I go brings me back to this post!Thankz!

Here you go......http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=195231&package_id=230437/&abmode=1

Guest spybaz

Thanks newf!And thanks for the update!

Guest spybaz

This is a fantastic update! Loads 100x the speed it did before for me (if not faster!).Thanks again for your ingenuity, persistence and expertise, Christian!