Sign in to follow this  
Guest leadingedge04

Recommendations On Improving My Pc For Fs9

Guest leadingedge04

Hello. I am looking to boost up my Computer's performance. I use it mainly for Fs9 and right now I am only getting 6-10 frame rates and I am unable to even fly into detailed airports (World Airports 2's EDDF hits me hard and it drops to around 2-3 framerates). For Christmas I want to ask Santa for a few items (in terms of memory/grahpic card(s)) to get the most out of FS performance wise. Here are my current specs...any suggestions?ThanksAndreSystem Information------------------Time of this report: 11/30/2008, 18:13:38Machine name: Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)Language: English (Regional Setting: English)System Manufacturer: n/aSystem Model: Product NameBIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PGProcessor: AMD Athlon XP 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHzMemory: 1024MB RAMPage File: 377MB used, 1317MB availableWindows Dir: C:WINDOWSDirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)DX Setup Parameters: Not foundDxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit UnicodeCan we keep this in the $100-$200 range?

Hello. I am looking to boost up my Computer's performance. I use it mainly for Fs9 and right now I am only getting 6-10 frame rates and I am unable to even fly into detailed airports (World Airports 2's EDDF hits me hard and it drops to around 2-3 framerates). For Christmas I want to ask Santa for a few items (in terms of memory/grahpic card(s)) to get the most out of FS performance wise. Here are my current specs...any suggestions?ThanksAndreSystem Information------------------Time of this report: 11/30/2008, 18:13:38Machine name: Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)Language: English (Regional Setting: English)System Manufacturer: n/aSystem Model: Product NameBIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PGProcessor: AMD Athlon XP 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHzMemory: 1024MB RAMPage File: 377MB used, 1317MB availableWindows Dir: C:WINDOWSDirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)DX Setup Parameters: Not foundDxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit UnicodeCan we keep this in the $100-$200 range?
What graphics card are you using? The above information does not tell. If you have a very old or extremely low-end graphics card you could benefit from an upgrade. However, the Athlon XP (K7) platform is very outdated, and you've already got the 2nd-fastest processor ever released for that platform so you don't stand to benefit by upgrading there. Also, due to the age of your platform you can only run AGP graphics cards which limits your upgrade options even further. You could get more memory and that will help load times and "hitching" (pauses) but your frame rate may not improve significantly enough to make the sim flyable with the settings and add-ons you are using. Basically, you need a new computer. I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's the cold, hard, truth. Sorry for the bad news,-Max

What he said....You'll need an entirely new system, new mobo, ram, cpu (key)something like an E8500 with a P45 mobo, 2gb ram, 9800GT for FS9

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

What Max and Ryan said... PLUS... I will add, that you can spend about $500 and get a computer that will blow through FS9.It would not be cost-effective to upgrade what you have.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest leadingedge04

Hey, thanks for the replies, I'm at work but I'll get my graphic card info tonight. In regards to all the replies, can you direct me in a good computer for FS9 then? I am glad that I went ahead and asked rather than putting stuff on my xmas list and being disapointed by the performace on xmas morning.Thanks!Andre

Assuming that you'd need a new power supply as well, here's a short listPSUhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817703009E8500http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115036P45 mobohttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E168131283589800GThttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E168141303842GB RAMhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145034So you'd have to fork out some cash but that would be a nice system for FS9. I would say it would not have trouble even flying the PMDG 747 into EGLL

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest leadingedge04
Assuming that you'd need a new power supply as well, here's a short listPSUhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817703009E8500http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115036P45 mobohttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E168131283589800GThttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E168141303842GB RAMhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145034So you'd have to fork out some cash but that would be a nice system for FS9. I would say it would not have trouble even flying the PMDG 747 into EGLL
hmmmmmmmmmm I have no clue how to build a computer. How does this sound? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218017465909any suggestions on prebuilt ones?Thanksandre

hmmmmmmmmmm I have no clue how to build a computer. How does this sound? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218017465909any suggestions on prebuilt ones?Thanksandre
Those are actually decent specs for an OEM gaming system at that price and it should handle FS9 maxed-out with ease. You can save money building it yourself, but you're your own tech support in that case so I understand your hesitation to do so.If you do buy a pre-built system at a retailer, whatever you do, don't buy the warranty they offer. They will require you to bring the computer into the store for service, and it will be shipped off to the system builder for any major repairs. You will spend weeks without a system.If this is a concern for you, I suggest you look at a system with an in-home warranty, such as a Dell XPS. Regards,Max

Wow I am impressed, BB using i7? Or should I say Gateway...anywayEven the 920 will suffice for FS9!I'd say go with it!If you need help, ask us lol....FREE!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Wow is right! That is nice for the cutting edge i7Also I like the orange highlights on the case, and I am usually into conservative case colors. :)"That Best Buy rig is way more cpu than you will ever need for FS9." -- it it "kosher" to say that? I never thought I would say that, but, well, I think its an accurate statement in this day and age.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hello. I am looking to boost up my Computer's performance. I use it mainly for Fs9 and right now I am only getting 6-10 frame rates and I am unable to even fly into detailed airports (World Airports 2's EDDF hits me hard and it drops to around 2-3 framerates). For Christmas I want to ask Santa for a few items (in terms of memory/grahpic card(s)) to get the most out of FS performance wise. Here are my current specs...any suggestions?ThanksAndreSystem Information------------------Time of this report: 11/30/2008, 18:13:38Machine name: Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3000+, Can we keep this in the $100-$200 range?
Andre- Your Athlon XP3000 already has the makings of a very respectable computer for FS9. My machine is a slightly slower XP2200 and runs FS9 very satisfactorily. In fact, I'm using triple monitors/triple views with the old girl and have no plans whatsoever to upgrade!You didn't specify video card- a better one might help your performance and more RAM definitely will. I have an AGP Dual Head GeForce FX5200 GPU along with a same type PCI card to drive the 3rd monitor.I can recommend 2GB RAM as not only helping to increase FPS- but it also seems to aid in preventing really low FPS when the going gets tough. In effect, like a prop in the basement to keep the floor from sagging under a heavy load!FS9 on this machine runs very smoothly with no stutters.I use a number of demanding add ons including PMDG 747 along with Ultimate Terrain & Ground Environment going full blast.The secret is to retard some FS9 settings a bit. I have AI below 30 & AutoGen off. (Who wants ridiculous 2 story stone houses and forests directly alongside runways!) Scenery Compexity is set to normal, Clouds are Simple and generally most settings are mid range. FPS is set to unlimited.These settings result in triple monitor frame rates in the 14-24 range or if I switch off both secondary monitors, FPS is 25-50 depending on scenery and airplane complexity. (Even in extremely complex sceneries at night, a triple mon frame rate below 12 is still very smooth and flyable.)For curiosity in answering your posting, I took the DreamFleet Bonanza to EDDF to check it out. This is, of course, the default FS9 scenery on a rainy day. FPS with triple views was 14-20, even with GPS running. When I switched off everything on monitors 2 & 3, FPS was 25-35, touching 40. Not bad!!! I've attached a screenshot of the triple monitor result at EDDF- lining up R25R on a gray & rainy day.So if you are serious about the $100-200 budget consider video card and RAM improvements to your present very good AMD CPU.Alex Reid

Hi Andre & All..... I'm with Alex here (he and I have discussed our respective set-ups in the past- Hi Alex!) I'm not saying that other advice you have here is wrong; just that a lot of what is read about FS9 (and FSX for that matter) is only part of the story. In the past I have bought various components with the hope of promised improvements but then found I've been very disappointed. In every case I have found that the problem has been in my lack of understanding of the way it all works TOGETHER to give a reasonable flying result - which is, at the end of the day, what we are all looking for. Knowledge is power in the flight sim world I believe. There is a great deal of improvement to be had by setting up the system properly. I can't give you all the 'ins' & 'outs' in one post, but the way I did it was first; Read as much as possible about the program itself (FS9) and the way my computer interacts with it - just having some idea as to how the config parts of it worked was useful. I Looked at how others had setup their systems. Read these and other forums - along with info. on the component parts of my Computer system and what each bit did in the collective, to deliver me my FS program on the monitor. My setup I'm sure is not perfect but it works well and I get a lot of enjoyment from it. That all sounds daunting maybe but it isn't - is greatly rewarding and most of it is FREE. These forums in particular are v.v. helpful. Try doing some searches as to setup etc. For example, I learned about my BIOS setup - it takes some reading but does improve the performance of FS. by getting those setting right your computer functions better. I learned about my video card sttings - very important you get these right. It really isn't difficult after a little reading. I learned about properly arranging my hard drive so that FS works to best effect. Read about your monitor and resolution and how that affects performance etc. Read about defragging your hard drive - a CLEAN system helps a great deal, far more than I ever realised, even 2 or 3 years back - when by then I thought I knew a little about FS programs:-)Andre, the list goes on - it is a gradual process of learning but is very rewarding AND as I've said not only does it WORK - it is FREE.I've just looked up a few records I made when I had my previous set up for FS9 - That was a similar system to yours, XP2700+ CPU with, I think, a K7 motherboard although I think I had 1.5 Gig of RAM. And a 6800LE graphics card. My results for FS9 were far better then than you are reporting now. (Something in the region of 25-40 FPS - at Seattle - I have a few screen shots I took when comparing stuff for myself)My CURRENT System Details: Asus A7N8X-E Motherboard. AMD Athlon 3200+ CPU. 2X HDD. Maxtor 6Y080L0 & SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB ST380011A - NOT SATA (1 for FS, 1 for O.S etc.) Windows XP Home + SP3. Nvidia 7800GS+ (AGP) Card. 512MBCRT Monitor "LG Flatron ez T910BU" - 1280X1024.@75HzRAM DCZ PC3200 2GB - (2X 1GB)DDR Platinum. mXTC CAS2.Current VGA Drivers: 169.21****It runs my Flight Sim ONLY adequately it is true, with often less than 25 FPS and I only use pretty slow flying aircraft, but it is running FSX - Yes!! FSX. Which even surprised me when I loaded it - not expecting it to fly at all, particularly after all I'd read about FSX etc. etc. Clearly it runs FS9 VERY well indeed. AS you see it is not hugely better in equipment than your setup, many would say it is outdated and they'd be right:-) but it works!! - so to conclude!! IF YOU want to keep your out goings down and still want reasonable performance - don't just throw money at it - first sort your system (and increase your knowledge :-) IT IS easy once you get started.BTW I'm no spring chicken (although I've been running flight Sims on home computers since Sublogic days!!) and am not really computer literate by modern standards - I just became disillusioned with buying equipment that didn't perform. Good luck by the way..... if I can answer any questions I will.Regards,Blue

It's great to get the most out of one's hardware, but at some point you have to realize when your system just doesn't cut the mustard anymore, and I would suggest a 5+ year-old system has reached this point already. Particularly given the OP's configuration. He definitely needs more RAM, at a minimum. Actually, we still don't know what graphics card the OP is running but it's fair to suspect it's not up to the task and would need to be replaced. I realize not everyone has the money to just buy a new computer whenever they feel like it, self included. I'm just lucky enough to have been able to afford my system when I did as I sure haven't been in a position to build again or upgrade the last several months.

Should of got one on black friday...
One what? A PC that, for lack of a graphics card, would likely perform worse than what the OP has now?Also, where did you see PCs for sale for $100-$200 on Black Friday?