Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Dealing With Out-of-memory Errors

Hi Martin,Thanks for the elaborate information!

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Martin,great post and I agree with you 100%. I've had a few of these OOM errors and just like you say, with some research, one can find the offending missing/misplaced file(s). I am flying into busiest add-on airports with most resource demanding add-on aircraft without any problems. Oliver has a good topic going over at Aerosoft forums about "suspicious" LC files even in payware add-on sceneries. That and Martin's post are a good starting point for anyone experiencing OOMs. :(Regards,Jure

Excellent post Martin.Maybe we can pin this one with a list of the offending files if anyone finds them. I know a lot of the France VFR scenery's are offenders for instance.

Another couple of things I should have said, even though they are not directly about OoMs... One can see in Process Monitor that FS loads all the scenery and aircraft software you have in your FS setup, using up unnecessary resources. Why load up your installed China scenery if you're flying London to Paris? (This, again, has been said many times elsewhere and is a bit of a 'no brainer', as they say!).I therefore do three things in order to start off with as much memory as possible:1. I make a folder called Aircraft Hangar and put all my a/c into that (apart from AI a/c, like Ultimate Traffic planes, which are in use every flight). I then just move the a/c I am going to fly into the FS9/Aircraft folder before I start up FS. That way FS isn't loading up textures, gauges etc. pointlessly.2. I have almost 1000 entries in my scenery library, so I use a great programme called Scenery_Align to manage these. You have to be somewhat judicious here, but using scenery_align it is very easy indeed to activate just the scenery you are going to want for your proposed flight. All the rest are disabled and are therefore not loaded into FS. FS starts much faster too as a result. I group my sceneries in scenery_align into countries. So for a UK to France flight, I simply activate (a mouse click each time) my UK and France sceneries. You should of course leave all FS base sceneries and any scenery which operates globally active all the time. I really recommend investigating this programme to see what it can do. BEWARE: I never use the 'align' function. Maybe I didn't understand it, but always messes up my scenery.cfg file (seems to randomly juggle all the entries!). It's the 'groups' function that is so useful. Whatever, always make a backup of your scenery.cfg file before doing anything.3. I made a simple script using pskill, to close down all unnecessary processes before starting FS. That gives me an extra 10% or so of resources back before I start. Again, you have to know what you can close down and what you must leave running, but there's lots of information on the net about that. (Or use one of the programmes out there like 'FSAutoStart' to do the same thing).Links:Scenery_Align http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&DLID=63038 http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&DLID=63039PSKill http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896683.aspxMartin

2. I have almost 1000 entries in my scenery library, so I use a great programme called Scenery_Align to manage these. You have to be somewhat judicious here, but using scenery_align it is very easy indeed to activate just the scenery you are going to want for your proposed flight. All the rest are disabled and are therefore not loaded into FS. FS starts much faster too as a result. I group my sceneries in scenery_align into countries. So for a UK to France flight, I simply activate (a mouse click each time) my UK and France sceneries. You should of course leave all FS base sceneries and any scenery which operates globally active all the time.
Are you sure about this?I mean every time the scenery.cfg is changed, FS2004 starts to re-indexing all sceneries.At this moment starting up FS2004 on my system takes about 4-5 minutes untill the 'Create a Flight' menu,so I guess I should try some of your hints.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

3. I made a simple script using pskill, to close down all unnecessary processes before starting FS. That gives me an extra 10% or so of resources back before I start. Again, you have to know what you can close down and what you must leave running, but there's lots of information on the net about that. (Or use one of the programmes out there like 'FSAutoStart' to do the same thing).Links:Scenery_Align http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&DLID=63038 http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&DLID=63039PSKill http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896683.aspxMartin
I am using EndItAll2 - exellent program, You can get it here:http://www.docsdownloads.com/enditall-1.htmAnd thanks for this very helpful info.RegardsJohn Haugaard

ldsigcr2.jpg

Yes, FS will reindex the sceneries each time, but as there are usually relatively few active when using scenery~align, that doesn't take long. The startup time of FS is then much shorter, to compensate. Keep a backup of your scenery.cfg file with all sceneries as acitve=false, apart from those that are MS defaults or needed for every flight. Scenery_align will create this file - you'll see what to do if you start to use it and read the help file. I'd really hate to be without it now.M."EndItAll" !! Sounds a bit, well, suicidal! Looks good, but all these little programmes really just automate what I do as a simple script file - though perhaps they add other little bits and pieces too?Glad some find the advice I've posted useful...M.

Thanks for the great input Martin. This definately makes attacking those dreded OOM errors a bit easier to deal with.Cheers,Ken

What happened to my original post? It's been truncated to one strange line??Martin :(
Hi Martin,First, I would like to vouch your idea of a separate hangar folder. I have been doing that for several years now and it certainly does decrease start up time. The only down side I've noticed is the small amount of HD fragmentation that takes place when moving aircraft back and forth.Second, as for scenery, I have been under the impression that scenery was loaded by the Sim on a as needed basis (of course my impression may be wrong in part, or completely wrong!) In any case, your post is prompting me do some memory usage testing of RAM and the pagefile per your scenery cfg method or by simply through the GUI in the Sim's scenery section. If someone has a definitive answer as to how and when scenery is loaded then accessed I very much appreciate some input.Thank you Martin,Best regards,Mel