Sign in to follow this  
Guest Carl Hackman

Active Sky Advanced Product Faq

Guest Carl Hackman

Hi,Here are some FAQs, we will be adding to these as necessary.Q: Is ASA Compatible with SP1?A: Yes, compatible with SP1 or SP2.Q: manually refresh AI?A: Yes, we have implemented a manual refresh AI button as well as automatic AI refresh on first depiction (for both versions of FS)Q: Is transoceanic coverage any better?A: Transoceanic data points remain the same, but new interpolation and enhanced depiction processes bring a higher level of end-result resolution. DWC brings this data accurately and smoothly.Q: Does the winds-aloft briefing now include multiple flight-levels and their associated averages for big-irons to decide the best enroute FL?A: Winds aloft briefing does include multiple flight levels during winds aloft by waypoint report, but only a single average as per your cruise altitude. New navlog functionality includes average temps as well as wind component, all based on cruise altitude. Additional FP and reporting functionality is always being worked on. The suggestion to provide multiple altitude averages is noted.Q: I miss the Temperature Column in the flightlog screenshots like in AS 6.5. A: Temp column is included and now average temperature is also provided (along with average wind component)Q: Ridge lifts are simulated real time without the need of a slope database or anything else?A: Yes, this is done via a simple calculation of the real-time slope of the terrain under the aircraft and is compared against the wind direction and speed at the terrain's altitude.Q: Hurricane depiction in FS9?A: No, FS9 does not have the ability to add real-time virtual stations needed to depict hurricanes using AS technology.Q: Will the new interpolation significantly reduce the the lack of weather in my immediate vacinity (under my aircraft) and/or a particular quadrant? A: Potentially, yes, if the nearby stations (weighted) that are providing actual data are not indicating clear conditions. The end result is much more complex and rich interpolated weather but this does not always mean that it creates "more weather".Q: What happens if a user uploads and erroneous or autdated PIREP?A: Pireps are passive and do not effect the weather synthesis. They are strictly for information only. Pireps clear after approximately 6 hours.Q: Is FSUIPC (Reg'd) still the recommended/best smoothing device for FSX?A: UPDATED: ASA now includes DWC and DVC for FSX using Global Mode, and provides a no-wind-shift smooth environment without the need for FSUIPC. In non-DWC/global mode, FSUIPC is a great addition to your system to smooth the winds.Q: Does enabling virtual-stations (to fill the gaps) still put a big hit (stutters) during updates?A: We have no indications or experience with stutters during our testing phase on the current build.Q: Is XGraphics still a standalone sister-application or is it now completely included in ASA? A: ASA is strictly a comprehensive weather engine and does not include a graphics texture package. In this regard, XG is a stand-alone graphics add-on and it, along with the other graphics add-ons available from other parties, are perfect companions to ASA, and extensively integrated using the new universal graphics snapshot and integration technology.Q: Has the issue with multiplayer been fixed?A: UPDATED: New DWC/Global mode for FSX may have solved this problem, so when using this mode you should be allowed multiplayer connections. We have not extensively tested this, but initial reports are positive. Just make sure DWC is enabled and ASA started before starting your multiplayer session.Q: One hazy question-ASA is a new prodcut and if I decide to purchase I need to get rid of ASX? Or is there an update ?Q: Is a replacement to ASX or a add-on? (I have ASX!) A: This is a brand new product, the next generation of the Active Sky Weather Engine. There will be upgrade paths available.Q: Wondering about this myself also will there be a discount for people who already purchase ASX?A: Yes. Details are to be announced.Q: can you manually put in a flightplan now or do you still have to import one? Reason being is I normally get mine from a realworld website that has the actual plans in use and then manually input it into my FMC. Would be nice to manually input a flightplan into ASA. A: Manually, you can specify your departure, destination and alternate, as always. Importing is the only way to specify enroute waypoints at this time.Q: As well, is this coming with a new graphics package as far as clouds are concerned or are we keeping the ones from AS6.5?A: There will be no graphics package included with ASA. You are able to (and recommended to) use any graphics add-ons you would like including the available ASG and FE add-ons.Q: What are the improvements and additions over ASX that makes this product worth a purchase? More specifically, have you managed to get rid of the loss of haze that occasionally occurs in ASX? A: Please see our website for a list of features and a comparison chart. We have had no reports of loss of haze in ASA during our testing phase.Q: What is the "blanketing" effect? First time I've ever heard that phrase.A: This refers to the haze/low cloud effect that depicts the top of the visibility layer within FSX. The depiction follows your aircraft and many have referred to it as an undesireable "blanket" effect. This is eliminated when the texture that is used for this depiction is made transparent (we include such a texture that ASA can automatically install for you).Q: Does this feature work perfectly in combination with other texture add ons like REX or FEX? Or is it necessary to install the clouds from XGraphics?A: Yes, the graphics snapshot system essentially takes a snapshot the FS graphics scene as installed by any single add-on, or combinations of add-ons. Once the snapshots have been taken they are extensively integrated into the ASA experience, and can be installed based on weather-influenced selections.Q: One question springs to my mind - I see reference to a weather avoidance guage in ASA. Does this mean that it will more accurately depict wx en route than the current version. As has been said a number of times, the current guage is not meant to be a 'weather radar' so I'm wondering what the purpose of the new one will be.A: XGauge v2 includes a new look, improved performance, and we provide both FSX and FS9 versions. The resolution of the weather mapping is unchanged.Q: Will users have the option to use FSUIPC as the interface in FSX, rather than SimConnect? It still appears FSUIPC has a far superior handle on the FSX wind anomalies.A: FSUIPC v4 includes wind smoothing outside of simconnect which is not available to any other add-on. For all other weather control, FSUIPC uses Simconnect. We use Simconnect as well, bypassing an unnecessary interface that would result in decreased performance.Q: What are the improvements over AS6 when running FS9?A: Please see our website for features and comparisons. There are dozens of new features beyond ASv6.

hi everyone i have a qestion i just bought ase from down load when i try to run it from the exc it dose not work do i need asa or active sky x to run ase as a upgrade or is active sky just a program on it ownsorry ment is ase a program that runs on it own not needing either of the other 2 programs

Hi, That is correct. If you purchased ASE you do not need ASA or ASX.

thanks so i thought well every time i try to click on the active sky start up icon i get a message that say active sky encounter a problem im using window xp home eny idears

Hi, Not sure why you are posting in the ASA FAQ thread, but if you start a fresh thread below I will be able to help you better.