Sign in to follow this  
shortspecialbus

Md-11 Out Of Memory Xp 32. Switch To Vista 64?

The dreaded OOM is back. :( This is in WinXP 32 bit, with the /3GB switch. Hasn't happened with anything besides the MD-11, but I'm not blaming the plane. I do have a fair amount of AI traffic, and all the UTXs, FEX, GEX, blah blah blah. So I'm sure I just overloaded the poor thing.I have a copy of Vista 64 bit that I just haven't installed for various reasons. Will switching to Vista 64 bit help? I got rid of it a long time ago because of the fact that few addons worked with it, and driver support at the time was garbage.Is Vista 64 bit recommended to be rid of this problem? I have 4GB of physical RAM in my machine.Thanks,-stefan

You will get rid of OOM errors with a 64b OS. I have been using Vista64 for a couple of months and I am actually liking it. I am not able to get drivers for an old flatbed scanner and my Palm Pilot but other than that everything works and nonething in FS9/FSX seems affected.

Dan Downs KCRP

You will get rid of OOM errors with a 64b OS. I have been using Vista64 for a couple of months and I am actually liking it. I am not able to get drivers for an old flatbed scanner and my Palm Pilot but other than that everything works and nonething in FS9/FSX seems affected.
Well, I'm finishing my backup now. Time for a wipe and an install of Vista 64. Thanks!-stefan

Guest johnan

i bought Vista 64 when Vista first was released (idiot, I know) and of course there were no drivers for it, software didn't work etc ,etc so I quickly went to Vista 32 which wasn't much better but at least useable.I then loaded in the MD11 and immediately got the dreaded oom message.I had forgotten about the Vista 64 getting dusty in a drawer, but reading the forum reminded me so I dug it out and in the months since I used it first everything has changed...drivers are available, software is compatible and the SP1 has also helped.So no more oom messages and on the whole a fast stable OS. Occasional glitches occur, and installing unsigned drivers can be a pain sometimes but I am certainly happy with Vista 64 now.good luck with it!John

I pulled the boot drive out of my simming PC, bought two external drive enclosures and another HDD. I loaded Vista64 on the new HDD, and rebuilt Rome with FS9 and FSX on a separate partition of the Vista64 drive. I now can alternate between my Win XP 32-bit system and my Vista 64 system by swapping the eSATA cable, and without messy dual-boot or problems with unwanted crosstalk effects from one OS to the other. They are completely isolated from one another. I still use FS9 running on WinXP for some of my airplanes that have the 32-bit RealityXP Garmins (which won't run on a 64-bit OS), and a couple of of my non-FS programs still need a 32-bit OS. All my airliner add-ons are running on Vista64 now...and I have not had a single OOM since.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case