Sign in to follow this  

Hi,first off, thanks to Jim for answering my query earlier today. I purchased ASA (upgrade from ASv6.5) and successfully installed it on my WideFS machine. Since I have an old FS9 installation there, I renamed the main FS folder to something else and ASA intelligently asked me to provide the (mapped) path to FS9. Well done! :(After fiddling around a bit, I set up everything and left my FSUPIC settings unchanged from the ASv6.5 days. I set up FE, GEII Pro, fired up Fs9 and started Wide Client. Flight was from Chicago O'Hare to Washington, Dulles, aboard a B737-800. ASA sent me a beautiful snowy and foggy weather at KORD and I could feel the cold right into the pit. :( After all was done, preflight checks completed and freezing pax safely aboard, we were pushed back and started the engines. Taxiing around KORD is an experience in itself but eventually I took off into the gloom from rwy 14R. Soon I broke through the solid cloud cover and the weather began to clear. Hoping from cloud to cloud all dark and snow laden, climbing into the sun was a great experience. Now, I might have expected something new and better, but I tell you, cloud formations were absolutely beautiful! Is ASA better than ASv6.5 in portraying the cloudscape? Maybe too soon to say after just one flight, but boy did it look good! I've had my head in the clouds since the Fly! days when I "built" thunderstorm clouds; was beta testing one of the first incarnation of Active Sky, but this first ASA-ed flight today was simply spectacular! Great stuff, guys! :( Is everything perfect, then? Pretty darn close, let me tell you! :oNow, I missed the convenient "Fetch a report" line from the old ASv6.5, but that's just a matter of habit. I love the new interface, it is much less cluttered than the old one and quite intuitive. I also played with editing the destination airport METAR and that worked flawlessly. The only remark I have is that I experienced a few cloud "pops" or abrupt changes in cloud formation. Flight plan was of course loaded... What can I say, I absolutely love the new ASA!Thank you Damian and the team, what a brilliant add-on this is! :( Regards,Jure

Guest JTEK99

Ummm.... sold!Jure:You couldn't have provided a more appropriate -- at least for me and my main FS setup -- than you did in the above post. Succinct and exactly what I needed to make the purchase. I, too, have been really intrigued by all the new possibilities with the ASA's very enhanced interface and easy-to-read weather reporting. I'm an avid WideFS user as well, so your comments really helped.Thanks for your comments and, of course, to the HiFi team and the ever-present JSkorna (he never sleeps!) for answering a myriad of other questions fielded.Gonna stuff this one in my virtual Xmas stocking, then hide the Credit Card statement. :)Happy holidays!