Sign in to follow this  
Shmiffy

[asa] - Does It Really Work?

Hi Guys:Firstly, congratulations and the best of luck on releasing Active Sky Advanced.Does it really work though?I am considering upgrading ASX to ASA, and as the majority of my flying is heavy metal on transatlantic hops, does the age old wind shift issue truly go away with the ASA package?Aside from wind shifts in areas of low station quantity (Atlantic, Pacific, Siberia, Etc) i often find a problem with the fact that wonderful though ASX wind smoothing may be, it often results in the winds being in the wrong direction. So much so that for transatlantic flying, i generally used FS9 rather than X, my preferred sim.I appreciate that the creators / owners of the software are going to wish to respond to this, but so often have i been told by manufacturers the answers that i want to hear (in my working life as well as sim software) that i am not going to believe you. :( So... If some current users that know what i am talking about regarding wind shift improvements would care to offer their thoughts. I would be most grateful.Thanks, and a happy christmas and prosperous new year to you all.Warmest RegardsPaul

So far, so good on the winds, which quite frankly shocks me. (in a good way of course). No wind shifts observed by me, yet...but it's too early to tell, I only flew the PMDG MD-11 for about 45 minutes, takeoff up to cruise altitude. The true test is, as you say, a transatlantic flight. With Christmas I may not have time to do one of those with family etc.Oh, I also disabled FSUIPC before install to make sure I knew what was controlling winds.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hello Mace:Many thanks for kick-starting the response. If anyone fancies a couple of test flights. I would appreciate knowing how far off of predicted (briefing) the winds actually are on a transatlantic trip, (Note that i am aware that a briefing is merely an approximation and that the actual winds will be different, usually not by a lot though in my RW experience). And that the winds actually travel in the right direction.It's good to hear that the wind shifts seem to be sorted.CheersPaul

Guest TSE

I can also confirm that the winds in general have improved significantly in FSX. I'm currently 2 hours into WSSS-LSZH with the PMDG MD11 and the winds are +/- 10 degrees within the reported direction, no violent shifts etc. during cycle refresh etc.I still have to test the north atlantic though.Had an issue connecting today and needed to hit the refresh button a few times until ASA was talking to FSX. There are a few other threads open about this topic already so I keep a close eye on those.Visually ASA is great, I did a short hop last night and hit bad weather on finals into WSSS, ASA "painted" nice bad tropical weather into the area.The online features with PIREPS and SIGMETS are nice and work well.ASA for sure is the way to go and after one or two patches I'm sure that all of us will not look back to AsV and ASX.Thanks Hifisim for another great product and Merry XMAS to all of youRegardsJoerg

I too am getting the s curve problem. I'm currently doing a London to New York flight and for the last 2 hours its been S curves all over the place. I'm seeing small constant variations in the wind speed and also every now and then my altitude indication jumps by one or 2 hundred feet causing a lot of "porpoising".This is using wnd smoothing in ASA and not in FSUIPC. A little annoying to say the least.

Harv.png?dl=1

Guest onelimey
I too am getting the s curve problem. I'm currently doing a London to New York flight and for the last 2 hours its been S curves all over the place. I'm seeing small constant variations in the wind speed and also every now and then my altitude indication jumps by one or 2 hundred feet causing a lot of "porpoising".This is using wnd smoothing in ASA and not in FSUIPC. A little annoying to say the least.
Sorry to hear your having this issue as well, I now take some consolation that I am not the only one experiencing this. I've read and re-read the manual and all my settings are to what's suggested.TanksAndy

Sorry to hear your having this issue as well, I now take some consolation that I am not the only one experiencing this. I've read and re-read the manual and all my settings are to what's suggested.TanksAndy
Hi all,Well we have about 5 reports of this behavior, and we're trying to get a handle on it. We have an in-progress test-build that one user confirms fixes this, but we need more testing before we can be sure. The common scenario here is DWC and FSX with FSUIPC 4 installed. What we are recommending, until we get get a hotfix out for this, is that you use FSUIPC wind smoothing and turn off ASA DWC. Alternatively, since this appears isolated to use of FSUIPC v4, you may wish to uninstall FSUIPC temporarily and use ASA DWC to smooth winds.We will have more information on this issue very soon. Again, its only affecting a small bit of users so far isolated to DWC, FSX and FSUIPC v4.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I would not simply turn off FSUIPC wind smoothing. I would actually physically move the FSUIPC4.dll file to a temp folder.That is Pete Dowson's recommended procedure for disabling FSUIPC.I will hopefully be able to do a long flight and test this the right way, maybe Friday Dec 26 since I am off from work that day. But the next 2 days I will probably not do any flying with Christmas and family.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

We will have more information on this issue very soon. Again, its only affecting a small bit of users so far isolated to DWC, FSX and FSUIPC v4.
Count me in - weather report was wind at 10 kts and light rain. I got up to 45 kts wind shifting to all directions (altitude was 2.500 ft). The aircraft suddenly plunged several hundred feet. Not sure if this was a downdraft or a barometric pressure change while flying with AP. However, it was a FSpassenger flight and it ripped apart the Comanche on it's downwind leg (RIP four souls on board).I'll try your suggestions and look forward to an update.Heiko

Guest onelimey
Hi all,Well we have about 5 reports of this behavior, and we're trying to get a handle on it. We have an in-progress test-build that one user confirms fixes this, but we need more testing before we can be sure. The common scenario here is DWC and FSX with FSUIPC 4 installed. What we are recommending, until we get get a hotfix out for this, is that you use FSUIPC wind smoothing and turn off ASA DWC. Alternatively, since this appears isolated to use of FSUIPC v4, you may wish to uninstall FSUIPC temporarily and use ASA DWC to smooth winds.We will have more information on this issue very soon. Again, its only affecting a small bit of users so far isolated to DWC, FSX and FSUIPC v4.Best,
Ok, using only FSUIPC wind smoothing fixes the S-Curve issue but now I get uncontrollable changes in Airspeed. I have FSUIPC set to 2 knots per second. Using FSUIPC for wind smoothing was ok with ASX but doesn't work here. When can we expect the hotfix or reccomended settings for FSUIPC that will make this program work?Update, it doesn't work for me, I finally managed to crash the plane just waiting for wind smoothing to correct and it didn't. Looks like no flying for me over the holiday period. Bottom line is that using only FSUIPC wind smoothing fixed the s-curve issue but made the wind speed direction issue worse. With every weather update I was averaging about 100 knot drop in airspeed, the one that caused my to finally quit flying was a 250 knot drop in airspeed. I hope you guys get this fixed but quick. So far its been two rather dissappointing releases ASX and ASA. Me flying without using FSUIPC at all is not an option since my virtual airline needs it for its ACARS program.TanksAndy

Ok, using only FSUIPC wind smoothing fixes the S-Curve issue but now I get uncontrollable changes in Airspeed. I have FSUIPC set to 2 knots per second. Using FSUIPC for wind smoothing was ok with ASX but doesn't work here. When can we expect the hotfix or reccomended settings for FSUIPC that will make this program work?Update, it doesn't work for me, I finally managed to crash the plane just waiting for wind smoothing to correct and it didn't. Looks like no flying for me over the holiday period. Bottom line is that using only FSUIPC wind smoothing fixed the s-curve issue but made the wind speed direction issue worse. With every weather update I was averaging about 100 knot drop in airspeed, the one that caused my to finally quit flying was a 250 knot drop in airspeed. I hope you guys get this fixed but quick. So far its been two rather dissappointing releases ASX and ASA. Me flying without using FSUIPC at all is not an option since my virtual airline needs it for its ACARS program.TanksAndy
My Md-11 is also dancing in the sky only ASA wind smoothing enabled

Cheers
Wolfgang

1hxz6d.png

Guest onelimey
My Md-11 is also dancing in the sky only ASA wind smoothing enabled
Wolfgang, I went back to ASX so that I could fly and everything works as it should. I just hope that they get the issue worked out with ASA.TanksAndy