Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Asa And Winds At Altitude

Hey guys,Quick question on a possible issue,I am currently at FL 370 over the Atlantic. Current station is $273 the Metar says winds 225 at 0 but the winds for FL340 and 390 are 199@138 and 197@138 respectively. What I am seeing in flight are the surface winds of 225 at 0 and this is not matching my wind predictions in the FMC at all, hence I might be stopping in SHA for a quick top off before heading on to EGLL LOL.Screenshot and Flight Log attached.BTW, departing EWR in some moderate rain and turbulence this morning was amazing!!! The rain is so much more realistic it is like night and day over our trusty ASV 6.5 which has served admirably well for FS9 to date.Finally, one quick suggestion. For the Pireps there should be a method to enter a region when inputting the Pirep for example, Eastern NA, Oceanic etc... Then there could be regionalized Pireps in ASA. As the number of Pireps go it could be difficult to figure out which ones are applicable to the regions you are traveling through.Thanks for the help and again Happy Holidays and Thank you for the wonderful gift-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Hi Paul,On the Winds Options page do you have Disable Winds Aloft checked On?Thanks,

Hi Paul,On the Winds Options page do you have Disable Winds Aloft checked On?Thanks,
Hey Jim,Thanks for the response I just looked but no, it is unchecked. -Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Hey Jim,Thanks for the response I just looked but no, it is unchecked. -Paul
Just checked all of my settings again and reset FSUIPC again to be sure. I do have Direct Wind Control checked in ASA, is that correct?Also, like others I am seeing incredibly long depiction output times. My initial weather set is taking 5-6 minutes. My FS load takes about 30-45 seconds and ASA is taking at least 5-6x as long, even with high priority process enabled.I am loving ASA I would just like to resolve these couple of issues.Thanks again Jim, Happy Holidays!-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Just checked all of my settings again and reset FSUIPC again to be sure. I do have Direct Wind Control checked in ASA, is that correct?Also, like others I am seeing incredibly long depiction output times. My initial weather set is taking 5-6 minutes. My FS load takes about 30-45 seconds and ASA is taking at least 5-6x as long, even with high priority process enabled.I am loving ASA I would just like to resolve these couple of issues.Thanks again Jim, Happy Holidays!-Paul
I can now confirm the same behavior on another trans Atlantic flight with no winds once I hit oceanic. I have tried just about everything within ASA and FSUIPC to no avail...Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Hi Paul,strange... I am over the Atlantic as I write this, flying a B742 from EGLL to CYYZ. At Fl 340 I have a 54kts wind from 259 degrees. Just like ASA briefing shows...ASA settings- DWC is CHECKED, everything else left at default values on this tab- Visibility: All three options CHECKEDFSUIPC settings (haven't changed a thing since ASv6.5):- Winds : "Smooth winds changes..." CHECKED, params: 0,2,0- Visibility: "Smooth visibility changes" CHECKED, 10% every 2 seconds "Set graduated visibility" CHECKED, params: 0, 25000, 5900 (this one I change a lot myself, depending on the mood, LOL)I can't think why it wouldn't work for you? You have a WideFS installation of ASA if my memory serves me? Can you check if your paths are OK in C:\Documents and Settings\*User name*\Application Data\HiFi\ASA\ASA_Log.txt? I noticed that FS9 My AppData Path Value was wrongly set byASA, because I have an old FS installation on the WideFS computer. After renaming a few folders on WideFS machine under "Documents and Settings" to something totally different, ASA prompted me to locate the correct folder on the server computer. Maybe it is worth to check this...All the best,Jure

This is beginning to get annoying and wondering about backdating to asv6.5.Still trying to finish my flight EGLL-KJFK. Over Boston and winds suddenly reduce to zero then come back again once I recheck and uncheck disable winds aloft - and cause wild fluctuations and bank angles. There seems to be something wrong in the communication path where you uncheck the option and ASA decides to ignore that after an hour or so. After departure from London winds dissapeared about the same time period.Possible bug?Will try to persevere with itJohn

John,for what it's worth... I successfully completed my EGLL-CYYZ flight and had winds aloft all the time, just like the nav log of briefing reported them. Jure

Hi allActually i'm flying over atlantic between LFPG and KJFK and i have the same problem. If i unselect "enable direct wind control and smoothing" and save and after i re-select it and save, wind aloft works.

Hi allActually i'm flying over atlantic between LFPG and KJFK and i have the same problem. If i unselect "enable direct wind control and smoothing" and save and after i re-select it and save, wind aloft works.
Hey Jure,I am not sure what is going on either but I can confirm that I am definitely not getting any winds over the Atlantic. I did double check all of my settings as well and all looks good so I really have no idea.My FSUIPC values are very similar, just a little more delay in the wind smoothing.You can see my registry settings attached,Jure,Could you please check the FS9Options.cfg (C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Application Data\HiFi\ASA\Options) file on your box and look for the following settings:CreateVirtualStations = FalseEnhanceRouteCoverage = FalseI am wondering if this is the issue. I would think these values should be true in order to pull data from the $stations over the Atlantic. Just wondering if your settings were the same as that would rule this out. (Actually after some more research it looks like those are FSX settings in the FS9Options file...)Thanks,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Hey Jure,I am not sure what is going on either but I can confirm that I am definitely not getting any winds over the Atlantic. I did double check all of my settings as well and all looks good so I really have no idea.My FSUIPC values are very similar, just a little more delay in the wind smoothing.You can see my registry settings attached,Jure,Could you please check the FS9Options.cfg (C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Application Data\HiFi\ASA\Options) file on your box and look for the following settings:CreateVirtualStations = FalseEnhanceRouteCoverage = FalseI am wondering if this is the issue. I would think these values should be true in order to pull data from the $stations over the Atlantic. Just wondering if your settings were the same as that would rule this out. (Actually after some more research it looks like those are FSX settings in the FS9Options file...)Thanks,-Paul
Just tried the same flight with ASV65 over the network and all worked as expected. I was also thinking it really can't be a directory or permission issue because then nothing would work but I get everything I would expect until I try to cross the Ocean.I am also seeing the really extended startup time and the intermittent issue where ASA resets FS to a time that is neither GMT or Local but somewhere in the middile ;)Until I can figure these couple of things out I am back to ASV for now...-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I am also seeing the really extended startup time and the intermittent issue where ASA resets FS to a time that is neither GMT or Local but somewhere in the middile ;)Until I can figure these couple of things out I am back to ASV for now...-Paul
That is happening to me as well. I was at EGLL, it was 5:30UT and I set the FS time to 7:30UT. ASA reset the time to 10 something. Jure

I saved amy flight over the mid atlantic and can confirm same behaviour whenver i restart it; winds only reappear when i check, save and oncheck then resave the disable winds aloft option - then they dissapear again after a few minutes until i do the same thing. also absolutely no cloud cover but this doesnt surprise me as weather does not appear to be depicted properly (FS9)John

Jure,Could you please check the FS9Options.cfg (C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Application Data\HiFi\ASA\Options) file on your box and look for the following settings:CreateVirtualStations = FalseEnhanceRouteCoverage = False
Paul,sorry, I have somehow missed this post. I have checked and the two entries are both set to false, just like yours. I will do another flight across the Atlantic tomorrow and see what happens. All my flights with ASA were in continental US. Except my morning flight EGLL-CYYZ, that is. No trouble with winds aloft, but I had trouble getting ASA to send a modified destination airport METAR to FS. While ASA correctly showed the changes in three different tabs, including the map, FS stubbornly refused it. Only after I let ASA completely alone after I changed that METAR once more, it finally sent the correct data through to FS. So, that got me thinking... maybe ASA needs to be left alone while synthesizing/submitting weather data? Just for the record, I have kept my ASv6.5 installed. In fact, I haven't touched anything except installed ASA. Jure

Well, I "lost" winds aloft as well. I have no clue what was different yesterday when I did my first trans-Atlantic flight, but today, winds aloft were definitely gone. John's method works, but that's not how it should be. Regards,Jure