Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

COMPLETE FSX INSTALL AND TUNING GUIDE

Guest Nick_N

I am adding to this guide as I get time and there is a dated change/addition list at the end of the posthttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041Everyone is welcome to use the information without duplication and please do back up your current FSX.cfg file should you wish to experiment with settings

Thanks, Nick, good to have all the info in one place.I'm confused by your chapter on fixing OOM errors, however...The heading:USING MORE THAN 2GIGS OF SYSTEM MEMORY IN WINDOWS XP x32 OR VISTA X32 with OOMimplies that this is linked to the physical memory size!Having exactly 2 GB myself and having had OOM errors that were fixed by using the /3GB switch have educatedme on the fact that the OOM errors relate to virtual memory allocations and are, in fact, independent of physical memory size. Maybe this chapter could be re-worded to remove the ambiguity..

Bert

Guest Nick_N
Thanks, Nick, good to have all the info in one place.I'm confused by your chapter on fixing OOM errors, however...The heading:USING MORE THAN 2GIGS OF SYSTEM MEMORY IN WINDOWS XP x32 OR VISTA X32 with OOMimplies that this is linked to the physical memory size!Having exactly 2 GB myself and having had OOM errors that were fixed by using the /3GB switch have educatedme on the fact that the OOM errors relate to virtual memory allocations and are, in fact, independent of physical memory size. Maybe this chapter could be re-worded to remove the ambiguity..
I titled it Bert to try and cut down on people asking what it was for... I know its about address space and I know what it is used for however those who place more memory and large memry video cards in a 32bit system are very likely to see that error and the title with the follow up do explain what it is for quite clearlyWording it the way I did does not say it deals with physical memory.. it says it deals with OOM and the follow up specifies that OOM can happen with or without >2GBWording it the way I did cuts down on support questions.. its use and tuning it are very clearIt has a follow up titleUSING MORE THAN 2GIGS OF SYSTEM MEMORY IN WINDOWS XP x32 OR VISTA X32 with OOM-OR-HOW TO PROPERLY TUNE VIRTUAL ADDRESS SPACE IN WINDOWS (x32) FOR OUT OF MEMORY ERRORSx64 operating systems do not need the following changes PLEASE NOTE: This section is for anyone who uses more (OR LESS) than 2GB of memory in XPx32 and Vistax32, and, who may see out of memory errors. It applies to BOTH circumstances.however I do see where it leaves out 'OR EQUAL TO" which I will re-edit :(

It has a follow up titlePLEASE NOTE: This section is for anyone who uses more (OR LESS) than 2GB of memory in XPx32 and Vistax32, and, who may see out of memory errors. It applies to BOTH circumstances.x64 operating systems do not need the following changes
Fair enough... How about:PLEASE NOTE: This section is for anyone who uses XPx32 and Vistax32, and, who may see out of memory errors, regardless of memory size.That way, I with my 2GB configuration am included :-)

Bert

Guest Nick_N

Changed... USING MORE/LESS or EQUAL to 2GIGS OF SYSTEM MEMORY IN WINDOWS XP x32 OR VISTA X32 with OOM-OR-HOW TO PROPERLY TUNE VIRTUAL ADDRESS SPACE IN WINDOWS (x32) FOR OUT OF MEMORY ERRORSx64 operating systems do not need the following changes PLEASE NOTE: This section is for anyone who sees out of memory error while using FSX. It applies to ALL circumstances.thanks Bert, that actually does the same job in explaining with a bit clearer technical descriptionI try to keep things on a very 'user friendly' level.. I know that can sometime step on the technical toes :(

Hello,thank you for your guide!I've read it completely and give it a try the next time when I set up FSX from stock....One question:Is your tuning regarding to full screen or windowed mode???I prefer windowed mode because I have two screens and can interact with other applications during flight (routing tools, flightplanner, browser) and I wouldn't run FSX in full screen.Is your guide also for windowed mode or are then any changes?

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest Nick_N
Hello,thank you for your guide!I've read it completely and give it a try the next time when I set up FSX from stock....One question:Is your tuning regarding to full screen or windowed mode???I prefer windowed mode because I have two screens and can interact with other applications during flight (routing tools, flightplanner, browser) and I wouldn't run FSX in full screen.Is your guide also for windowed mode or are then any changes?
Im afraid Window mode is problematical in FSX. I always run full screen however tuning should be done full screen first to make sure you have properly set up the application... after that if Window Mode presents issues you will know what the problem isWindow mode WILL NOT ALLOW Vsync to work in FSX which means you can get tears and jitters in Window mode you wont get in full screenOnce tuned then try your flights the way you normally fly FSX and observe the results.. you may need to tweak a bit more or you may find you can raise a slider

Nick you might add that the BUFFERPOOL entry should be avoided with DX10.Thanks for this very useful document :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I am adding to this guide as I get time and there is a dated change/addition list at the end of the posthttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041Everyone is welcome to use the information without duplication and please do back up your current FSX.cfg file should you wish to experiment with settings
You sometimes mention the phrase 'a very low system'. What is that? For example I haveAMD 64 4000+2 Gb PC3200 RAMNVIDIA 7950GT 512M DDR3 AGPWD Raptor 150 Gb 10000 rpm SATAIWin XP Homeis that a very low system?

Guest Nick_N
Nick you might add that the BUFFERPOOL entry should be avoided with DX10.Thanks for this very useful document :--)
Thanks DavidEven when I was running Vista I di dot play around in DX10 that much but when I did, I did not notice any issues with bufferpools in Vista as my card and the edit in the config file remained the same for bith DX9 and DX10. Perhaps I missed something.I do know that those on 512 cards will most likely not want that edit in the config file (DX9/10) simple because the 512 card has very little to spare in that areaBufferpools even in DX9 is a trial and error setting and adjustment. Some may find use and others may not
You sometimes mention the phrase 'a very low system'. What is that? For example I haveAMD 64 4000+2 Gb PC3200 RAMNVIDIA 7950GT 512M DDR3 AGPWD Raptor 150 Gb 10000 rpm SATAIWin XP Homeis that a very low system?
I would consider that a medium to med-low system in terms of what FSX really needs in CPU and video card horsepower on higher settings but not 'very low' by any means. It would also depend on the clock too and if you were clocking the card and the processor at all.Some people run FSX on hardware even FS9 would probably struggle with and laptops that have very restricted video card and CPU abilities.

Nick, you might consider also that any installation of FSX on Vista 64 should be made outside of the standard "\Program Files (x86)" folder. When FSX is placed there the OS moves some files into something like 'protective custody' that causes a performance hit. As you suggested moving FSX to another drive all its own that would be more then adequate, but in the case someone is forced to use the same drive as the OS they would be best off to install FSX to another folder.

Guest Nick_N
Nick, you might consider also that any installation of FSX on Vista 64 should be made outside of the standard "\Program Files (x86)" folder. When FSX is placed there the OS moves some files into something like 'protective custody' that causes a performance hit. As you suggested moving FSX to another drive all its own that would be more then adequate, but in the case someone is forced to use the same drive as the OS they would be best off to install FSX to another folder.
I always install FSX on another drive and I posted that in the thread under storage considerations (I think)If I didnt I will add it in

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to paying for the upgrade to Vista Service Pack 3 (windows 7) myself. Still, people would be best advised not to install into the default folder on Vista 64.

Guest Nick_N
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to paying for the upgrade to Vista Service Pack 3 (windows 7) myself. Still, people would be best advised not to install into the default folder on Vista 64.
LOLI got the threads mixed up.. I thought I was posting in the W7 thread hereI will edit the list tomorrow about FSX install locations