Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sinnerman49

FSX and Windows 7?

Guest Sinnerman49

Anyone tried Windows 7 with FSX? Curious if there's improvements over vista.

The beta version was only released today... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ms still hasn't released the keys for the beta (good until next aug) I guess their servers were crashing all day. I got the beta iso and burned the dvd, but might wait for the key (though I guess I could install and enter the key later. Without key it will run for 30 days, though I guess you can extend that to 120 with a registry tweak.)scott s..

Ms still hasn't released the keys for the beta (good until next aug) I guess their servers were crashing all day. I got the beta iso and burned the dvd, but might wait for the key (though I guess I could install and enter the key later. Without key it will run for 30 days, though I guess you can extend that to 120 with a registry tweak.)scott s..
Windows Touch looks like it could make Flightsim a little more interesting :( Check out the sticker on their laptops...Windows 7I really hope MS doesn't make that their marketing campaign...

Guest Nick_N
The beta version was only released today... :(
depends on how far down the totem pole one may beIts Vista cleaned up and redone with perks... although there are features still missing the perf in the application in question is going to be better but nothing spectacular. The main reason is the cleanup on the system hogs and you do get better access to shutting down the nag machine and other perf hindering featuresIf you ask me its a re-branded Vista to get rid of the Vista name that has got such a bad rep they put TV commercials out showing people who thought they were using a different OS than Vista were amazed to learn it was VistaA corrected Vista would not be a bad thing.. If they get it right even I may switchbut I do not see this production as being more than a name swap to kill the public opinion about Vista, ... with fixes.When its in its final 'full bloat' mode is when I want to see it LOL

Guest Nick_N

Almost forgot!PROTECT YOUR MUSIC FILES IN WINDOW7 BETAMP3 filesWhen MP3 files are added (either manually or automatically) to either the Windows Media Player or the Windows Media Center library, or if the file metadata is edited with Windows Explorer, several seconds of audio data may be permanently removed from the start of the file. This issue occurs when files contain thumbnails or other metadata of significant size before importing or editing them.To avoid this, take the following steps: To protect your MP3 files Before you install this beta release, back up all MP3 files that might be accessed by the computer, including those on removable media or shared network resources.Ensure that all MP3 files are set to read-only. To do this, in Windows Explorer, find the files, right-click them, click the General tab, and then select the Read-only check box.Install this beta release of Windows 7.Read the article and install the update available at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=139391.Once you have installed the update, you can safely reset the read/write status of your MP3 files to your preference.If you do not want to install the update, you can avoid this issue by setting all MP3 files that might be accessed to the computer to read-only as in Step 2.

Guest PPSFA

It will be exactly like every other MS OS ever released, not worth a crap until at least SP 1 and probably SP2. I'm sticking with XP until I see what FS11 brings to the table.

Guest Nick_N

I test all OS's with the same FSX install on another drive and never run FSX from within the OS so I have a apples to apples test bedThere was a small perf increase between XP x64 and Win7 and that increase was not always seen (depended on the scene), and, absolutely nothing I would switch OS's for at this point.I would need to see the final version to make that call because the Bill Gates 'demo' job does not cut it for me. It never runs the same in the final versionI would be surprised to see perf increase further in the final after 'all' the features are added but I will look at it then to make the call on a switch. The current driver support is in the OS for the new W7 Nvidia Drivers however I had to install the Vista 180.48 driver (as specified by MS) for full support on the card and clocking so I could match my test settings form XP x64. If Nvidia somehow improves perf with the OS with newer drivers that may factor in but I really dont thik this OS is any more than Vista optimized with a name change

Windows 7I really hope MS doesn't make that their marketing campaign...
I found it rather curious that the sound and video apparently weren't synched too well. The sound track finished long before the video track did... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So I've been playing with Win 7 Beta (ver 7000) for the last bit.As far as FSX is concerned, I didn't notice any significant frame rate change compared to Vista, but it was hardly a scientific test, and besides, I don't think people should expect miracles from an O/S change alone (after all, it's called Windows 7, not Windows Obama :( )Other than that, Win 7 is a pretty nice face lift from Vista. It does seem to run faster than Vista. I like what I've seen so far. If MS keep the price down, it should be a real winner.

So I've been playing with Win 7 Beta (ver 7000) for the last bit.As far as FSX is concerned, I didn't notice any significant frame rate change compared to Vista, but it was hardly a scientific test, and besides, I don't think people miracles from O/S change alone.Other than that, Win 7 is a pretty nice face lift from Vista. It does seem to run faster than Vista. I like what I've seen so far. If MS keep the price down, it should be a real winner.
If it doesn't trash my computer every 3 months (like Vista 32) leading to month long tech support sessions that end up with the recommendation that I reformat and reinstall I will be a happy camper.

Guest Nick_N
Windows Touch looks like it could make Flightsim a little more interesting :( Check out the sticker on their laptops...Windows 7I really hope MS doesn't make that their marketing campaign...
Whats really funny is the i7 and Windows7 parallelI have gotten at least 50 requests to know if Windows7 runs better with i7 because the name means its made for i7.I call that shirt-tail marketing... place your name in the same light as a winner and be considered a winnerIts a face-lift and name change with smart marketing to get rid of the Vista rep , that much I am sure... if they fix Vista with this I may switch over but further tests show the x64 XP system is running FSX better in most situations than W7 with W7 pulling out slightly in a few placesUnless something really changes with the OS and drivers, IMHO XP x64 is stll the best OS for FSX, hands downDX10 does nothing for me so FS11 may be the time I end up making the switch.. or just dual booting

If it doesn't trash my computer every 3 months (like Vista 32) leading to month long tech support sessions that end up with the recommendation that I reformat and reinstall I will be a happy camper.
Not to diminish your experience, but I've been running Vista 32 on my notebook for 1.5 years. My notebook has been all over god's green acre and used very heavily, and Vista's performed like a champ for me. I haven't had to re-install once. My only problem with Vista is that sometimes DEP can be a little aggressive.It's funny, though, how people's experiences with Vista are often so varied and inconsistent.Guess I've just been lucky.Cheers,

Whats really funny is the i7 and Windows7 parallelI have gotten at least 50 requests to know if Windows7 runs better with i7 because the name means its made for i7.I call that shirt-tail marketing... place your name in the same light as a winner and be considered a winner
Yeah, but how many people outside hard-core users and maybe some Mac Addicts have heard about the i7? Certainly not the average punter shopping for a new computer down at Circuit City.But I agree... I think that the "I am a PC" slogan (which is a direct counter to the "I am a Mac" marketing slogan is just juvenile and a little embarrassing. From what I've seen of Windows 7, it seems like a very nice product that could be sold easily on its own merits.Besides, Is "Windows 7" going to be the final name? I'll bet you MS changes it.