Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Strange Roof Texture Problem

I just finished re-installing FSX after Screwing it up somehow and noticed the roof textures of some flat top buildings have what looks like the textures of buldings without flat roofs. (If that makes any sense) I have GEX, UTX and FEX all installed. Ive never noticed it before. Everything else looks normal. Pehaps it always was, but I wondered it this is a known bug or something I can fix?Thanks in advance for any help.Rob

Guest Nick_N
I just finished re-installing FSX after Screwing it up somehow and noticed the roof textures of some flat top buildings have what looks like the textures of buldings without flat roofs. (If that makes any sense) I have GEX, UTX and FEX all installed. Ive never noticed it before. Everything else looks normal. Pehaps it always was, but I wondered it this is a known bug or something I can fix?Thanks in advance for any help.Rob
Known bug Rob.. you probably just did not notice it beforeWe outlined it in the Enhanced Autogen freeware packages we released. Some flat roofs will display the 'gable' roof texture and this shows in NE USA, N, CEN EU more than anywhere else. We looked for a fix using the textures however if we had swtiched the gable roof with another that matched the flat roof it would have messed up gable roof textures as well. The fix would be in the regional autogen code for parts of NA and EU and is something that was far out of the scope to try and resolve

Guest gmark

I noticed this problem after installing the enhanced autogen. I had the FTX Mode switch "on" when I installed the enhancement. I turned the switch "off" and re-loaded the backup textures and then re-installed the enhanced autogen. Problem went away.Cheers!Graham

Guest Nick_N
I noticed this problem after installing the enhanced autogen. I had the FTX Mode switch "on" when I installed the enhancement. I turned the switch "off" and re-loaded the backup textures and then re-installed the enhanced autogen. Problem went away.Cheers!Graham
Its still there GrahamAlthough FTX Mode must be set to off before installing the Enhanced Autogen packages (2 of them)The issue with FTX mode 'on' is directly tied to FTX mode being on.. since FTX changes autogen textures and also changes the main autogendescription xml or spb files the issue of gable roofs appearing outside a FTX zone is tied to the mode switch and the gable roof on flat roof autogen can display just about everywhere.The issue Rob is talking about happens in default FSX, has nothing to do with the Enhanced Autogen package and although the enhancements make the issue easier to see, the problem is in the code that calls flat roofs in the regions I mentioned above.

This is actually a bug in the FSX SDK, whereby if a roof on a large-footprint building is not specifically assigned a flat roof type, then it defaults to 'Default Autogen Roof 1'. The problem is, the GUID used for that roof type is not addressable by annotator.exe nor is it documented or available in the list of roof types within annotator, and it calls the incorrect part of the roof texture sheet.Basically with FSX, ACES sort of got half way through re-designing the annotation system and then it appears someone left the team and dropped the ball. It's a bit of a mess really. It's for this reason that about 30% of the building texture sheets are completely unused - they still have the old FS9 roof textures on them, but are never addressed by FSX - a total waste of texture sheets IMHO.Another frustration of the annotation system is that a documented feature in the SDK - the ability to use custom texture sheet names, (which worked in FS9), was broken in FSX and never fixed in SP1 or SP2. The cumulative effect of a lot of these bugs in FSX are the primary reason we ended up having to resort to an FTX Mode in the first place - something we wanted to avoid.For FTX moving forward, our solution is to simply find which roofs in the default annotation have this default roof type set, and change them to specifically call a flat roof type.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png