Sign in to follow this  
strider

MD-11 "advanced tutorial"?

The tutorial included in my MD-11 install (PMDG MD-11 Tutorial1.pdf) mentions some things which will not be covered, as these will be covered in an "advanced tutorial". Is this still "in the works", or is it already available somewhere?Also...what would be the chances of getting a tutorial (advanced or otherwise) using non-metric numbers for weights, etc.?Thanks! Victor Buck

Edited by strider

Dan, your already answering while I'm still editing, LOL!I'll keep an eye out for the advanced tutorial.To my edit...any chance of a non-metric version of a tutorial? I can fumble my way through kilograms and such...but there is so much to learn with my one day old MD-11 it would be more "comfortable" with my units of choice? Either way, thanks gang. Victor Buck

Victor, it's funny you should mention that. I've chosen a US domestic flight for this advanced tutorial so this will indeed be non-metric :) .Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

it's funny you should mention that. I've chosen a US domestic flight for this advanced tutorial so this will indeed be non-metric :) .
Please make a third tutorial that takes us through Russian or Chinese airspace - so we can get to use the "meters" setting for flightlevels and altitudes :( Tom

Please make a third tutorial that takes us through Russian or Chinese airspace - so we can get to use the "meters" setting for flightlevels and altitudes :(
Yeah and added to that a touch & go on an airport around Moscow flying the STAR and approach using QFE in addition to metric altitude. This would get your brain twisted for sure :(Markus

Markus Burkhard

Victor, it's funny you should mention that. I've chosen a US domestic flight for this advanced tutorial so this will indeed be non-metric :) .Regards,Markus
Bummer... Anyone knows an online converter? I hate lbs and the likes... :(

Bummer... Anyone knows an online converter? I hate lbs and the likes... :(
Hi,Just "GOOGLE" it and you'll find one. Then add to your favorites....PeteEHAM

Excellent! Thanks Markus. And to the rest...hey! you had "your" metric tutorial!! :( :( As far as metric altitudes...that baby should be an entirely seperate lesson, IMHO. Since the MD-11 only comes with feet as an altitude unit, unless I've missed an option (as do most aircraft, I believe), flying in metric airspace opens all sorts of new problems. AFAIK airliners can't just enter metric airspace anywhere...there are designated entry/exit waypoints and altitudes where this must be accomplished. There are altitude conversion charts which tell you what altitude, in feet, you must fly to be "legit" in metric airspace and more charts that deal with metric RVSM. If I remember correctly the Chinese and Russian airspace, both metric, are not exactly the same AFA flight levels, etc. This all make flying into and out off metric airspace a real nightmare! I flew a few flights doing this, for my previous VA, and they required strict adherence to all the latest rules regarding metric airspace. I have some websites and charts I can dig up...but I have no idea if it's still applicable information. The Metric airspace thingy seems to be a "living thing" and changes often? Since I don't fly online and my current VA doesn't require that I adhere to metric airspace rules (yet)...I haven't paid much attention in the last 10 months. Victor Buck
Excellent! Thanks Markus. And to the rest...hey! you had "your" metric tutorial!! :( B) As far as metric altitudes...that baby should be an entirely seperate lesson, IMHO. Since the MD-11 only comes with feet as an altitude unit, unless I've missed an option (as do most aircraft, I believe), flying in metric airspace opens all sorts of new problems. AFAIK airliners can't just enter metric airspace anywhere...there are designated entry/exit waypoints and altitudes where this must be accomplished. There are altitude conversion charts which tell you what altitude, in feet, you must fly to be "legit" in metric airspace and more charts that deal with metric RVSM. If I remember correctly the Chinese and Russian airspace, both metric, are not exactly the same AFA flight levels, etc. This all make flying into and out off metric airspace a real nightmare! I flew a few flights doing this, for my previous VA, and they required strict adherence to all the latest rules regarding metric airspace. I have some websites and charts I can dig up...but I have no idea if it's still applicable information. The Metric airspace thingy seems to be a "living thing" and changes often? Since I don't fly online and my current VA doesn't require that I adhere to metric airspace rules (yet)...I haven't paid much attention in the last 10 months. Victor Buck

Excellent! Thanks Markus. And to the rest...hey! you had "your" metric tutorial!! :( :( As far as metric altitudes...that baby should be an entirely seperate lesson, IMHO. Since the MD-11 only comes with feet as an altitude unit, unless I've missed an option (as do most aircraft, I believe), flying in metric airspace opens all sorts of new problems. AFAIK airliners can't just enter metric airspace anywhere...there are designated entry/exit waypoints and altitudes where this must be accomplished. There are altitude conversion charts which tell you what altitude, in feet, you must fly to be "legit" in metric airspace and more charts that deal with metric RVSM. If I remember correctly the Chinese and Russian airspace, both metric, are not exactly the same AFA flight levels, etc. This all make flying into and out off metric airspace a real nightmare! I flew a few flights doing this, for my previous VA, and they required strict adherence to all the latest rules regarding metric airspace. I have some websites and charts I can dig up...but I have no idea if it's still applicable information. The Metric airspace thingy seems to be a "living thing" and changes often? Since I don't fly online and my current VA doesn't require that I adhere to metric airspace rules (yet)...I haven't paid much attention in the last 10 months. Victor Buck

Victor,you might want to have another look at the FCP. Above the altitude selector there is a button to change between feet and meters, and it is fully modeled of course :)Markus

Markus Burkhard

Victor,you might want to have another look at the FCP. Above the altitude selector there is a button to change between feet and meters, and it is fully modeled of course :)Markus
Damn...completely missed that. OK, that's enough, time to go back to reading and flying...the only real way to get it right. I'm sure there will be more questions...Thanks! Victor Buck