Sign in to follow this  
Adrian West

Entering SIDs and STARs into FS9 GPS

I am starting to use the FS9 GPS function for the first time. Until now I have had no need of it as I have been flying an aircraft with a full FMS. I am now learning to fly Aeroworx' King Air. I have retrofitted the aircraft with SimFlyer's Bendix KLN94 as it is better than the default unit that comes with the aircraft. When you go to the Procedures page the only options available are to select an approach, activate an approach and activate vectors. On the real KLN94 unit you can also select a departure or an arrival.The SimFlyer unit uses the default FS database, so I decided to have a look at the default FS9 Garmin GPS. This too also only gives you the option of selecting an approach. Once you have selected an approach it appears at the bottom of the GPS screen against "Approach". However there are also lines there for Arrival and Departure, but I cannot find any way of entering these.So how can I enter SIDs and STARs into the GPS? Or are these Arrival and Departure lines just cosmetic? Is there any way around this? The FS Learning Centre for the GPS describes only approaches under its Procedures section. I have read about FS Build - if I create a flight plan in FS Build including a SID and STAR, will this appear in the GPS?Thanks for your help.

...if I create a flight plan in FS Build including a SID and STAR, will this appear in the GPS?
If FSBuild can export to a .PLN file then yes, it will. I don't know personally as I've never used FSBuild, but I have used FSNav to set up a flight plan using SIDS and STARS (waypoint by waypoint) and exported it to .PLN for loading into the GPS. Another option is SimRoutes.com which has an option to export to FS9 GPS.Jim

Super Flight Planner includes SIDs and STARs that can be included in a flight plan and exported to an FS9 .pln file. You can easily modify existing SIDs and STARs and even add your own. They are all in XML filws.It's a bit quirky to use but it is FREE!

I am starting to use the FS9 GPS function for the first time. Until now I have had no need of it as I have been flying an aircraft with a full FMS. I am now learning to fly Aeroworx' King Air. I have retrofitted the aircraft with SimFlyer's Bendix KLN94 as it is better than the default unit that comes with the aircraft. When you go to the Procedures page the only options available are to select an approach, activate an approach and activate vectors. On the real KLN94 unit you can also select a departure or an arrival.The SimFlyer unit uses the default FS database, so I decided to have a look at the default FS9 Garmin GPS. This too also only gives you the option of selecting an approach. Once you have selected an approach it appears at the bottom of the GPS screen against "Approach". However there are also lines there for Arrival and Departure, but I cannot find any way of entering these.So how can I enter SIDs and STARs into the GPS? Or are these Arrival and Departure lines just cosmetic? Is there any way around this? The FS Learning Centre for the GPS describes only approaches under its Procedures section. I have read about FS Build - if I create a flight plan in FS Build including a SID and STAR, will this appear in the GPS?Thanks for your help.
Yes, FSBuild flightplans that include SIDs and STARs will appear - the SID and STAR waypoints will look just like any others in the plan.DJ

You can only activate the approaches within the FS9 GPS that are preprogrammed. I don't recall ever using it enough to give specifics, but the information is pulled from the default navdata for each airport. It's possible add-on scenery like an AFCAD might include new ones, but I don't know for sure. There were some new AFCADs that a guy made that included new approach procedures, and I think they were a different BGL file to be placed in a different directory.I personally have always just used the Realixty XP GPS. It's built on the real world trainer and has had a couple updates that match real navdata. It's just like having the real world GPS in your plane minus a few small feature that can't be simulated in sim. The new one is even more realistic with DME arcs, holds, and TAWS. I just didn't buy it because it doesn't play well with certain add-on CDIs or gauges. The Reality XP GPS includes departures and approaches though.To create flight plans right now, I just use the default planner and build the plan myself using the map. Obtain real flight plans and charts, then use the flight plan map to drag to each waypoint and save. I also use Facility Editor and EasyNavs to add new waypoints or fix navaids respectively.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

As mentioned, it is possible to add or modify approaches in the FS9 data. Approaches are part of the facility data contained in the airport files (AP9). Note that the AFCAD utility does not work with approaches, and the addon ones that exist are pretty much built by hand directly working with xML code. The default GPS interprets the approach code to create the magenta track line in the "nav" page. This track can be followed by the CDI when the nav/gps switch is set, and by the A/P if provided with a "nav" lateral mode.SIDs and STARs don't exist as such in FS9. They can be approximated by creating a flight plan with the fixes/intersections (or waypoints for RNAV) within the standard FS9 flightplan format. I still use the old FSBuild 1 program (it builds flightplans and that's about it, but that's all I need).scott s..

If FSBuild can export to a .PLN file then yes, it will. I don't know personally as I've never used FSBuild, but I have used FSNav to set up a flight plan using SIDS and STARS (waypoint by waypoint) and exported it to .PLN for loading into the GPS. Another option is SimRoutes.com which has an option to export to FS9 GPS.Jim
Great idea! I've had FSNav for years and never thought of using it this way. Thanks.