Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrancoisH

Glideslope intercept

Guest FrancoisH

Hello there,I got today into the trouble that people already mentionned before... the MD-11 started to climb to the G/S rather than keeping current FL.I was making a descend, 1800ft with fixed FPA when I was cleared to intercept LLZ. I pushed "APP" button and I was not receiving yet G/S signal. When established on LLZ, I was still in descent to 1800ft and the plane started to climb at the moment I received the G/S signal.I think this is definately an issue...This make me thinking about another thing... if I chose "LOC" only mode, will I be able to set back to full approach mode afterward ? Because I should not intercept GS before LLZ in normal operation.Regards.

Guest charlie1017

The exact same thing happened to me today! I was doing the ILS 22L into KJFK about 4 miles from ZALPO, descending using Vertical Speed (not FPA as Francois) to 1800 feet. Even though I was well below the glideslope, once it came alive the MD-11 just started climbing towards the GS! Is the airplane supposed to do this? BTW this is for FS2004.Carlos

I have had this happen a couple of times too, a couple of different locations. I have so far not been able to determine what is different about the approaches.STARs and transitions to final should be designed such that you intercept the glideslope from below, after you have intercepted the localizer. However, it can be a little tight (like I noticed on the LAM3A and transition to ILS27L in Heathrow), in which the glideslope was actually active before localizer interception occurs.That said, the approach went smoothly, in awful weather with poor visibility, the aircraft did not climb into the G/S and landed with a perfect DUAL AUTOLAND...I vaguerly remember the issues occurring when descending to a fixed altitude, which is below the G/S, turning onto LOC, and as soon as the G/S comes alive, the plane then pulled up to intercept G/S... However, as I said, it hasn't happened enough to pin down exact parameters...I am sure someone will be able to track it down...Andrew

Same thing happened to me flying into EDDK 14L the other night. It's never happened again since. I'm sure PMDG are now aware of this bug. If you search online this issue has been reported to happen randomly on real Aircraft.Rob

Rob Prest

Interesting, Rob, I never thought to check the real world :)Andrew