Sign in to follow this  
Guest tpliesch

Strange Graphic Problem

Guest tpliesch

I have here a strange graphic problem:During a flight (aspecialy on ground - sometime enreoute) i will suddenly lose the texture (scenery and/or plane).This seems the 1 step to next big proglem -> the hole graphic crashes.FSX and the plane is still running (no CTD) - i hear voices, sounds, can switch the views (no picture but i hear the change of the sound).I was serching around the web and was testing day by day to find a solution - but i had no one found.My Spec:VISTA Home Premium 64bit8GB RAMPNY GTX260 Core 216Q66002x250GB HDDFSX + ACCELPMDG747WILCO A320FSPASSENGERS XFS2CREW (PMDG, WILCO)FSFK3RC4ASX / ASA / XGTested withQ6600 OC and NormalGefroce 177.41, 181,22, 182.05WinXP 32bit, VISTA HP 32/64Bit4GB/8GB RAMFSX SP2 or ACCELAll/Some AddonsPMDG747 / WILCO A320 with and wihtout FS2CREWand so on ...Results:I have the problem in every flight ...with PMDG747X it happens after about 30mins (i will not come to takeoff)with WILCO A320 it happens after about 2hrsBig problem seems to be when i switch between windows and fullscreen mode (i mainly fly in fullscreen mode)I have some pictures of my problemPIC1 everthing ok but then ....I hope, somebody has an idea and can help - THXThomas

Hey, ThomasWhat drivers are you using?Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest tpliesch

NVIDA Driver:177.41181.22182.05Driversettings:FSX:1680x1050Filter TrilinearNo AANVIDIA (Driver default with the following modifications for FSX):8xAAMultisampling8xAFAlso tried the nhancer setttings from the complete installation guide, which can found here in the forum.-> same problemSome Information i forgot in my first post:FSX Deluxe -> german versionAddOn also installed:UTX USAUTX EuropeMega Airport Frankfurt XThomas

OOPS, I see you did post drivers in your first post. Sometimes my old eyes glaze over when I see long list of cool stuff. Usually the screen going blank seems to be a driver issue. As you may know, when you test with Vista 32 bit you will need the 3bg switch. There is a mismatch somewhere. For example: I have an MSI MB that coa OC with jumpers. I did that, and with my old 8800GT I could not run drivers nower that 169.25. The OC worked, but new drivers wouldn't. I recently got the 260 GTX, and always had some kind of issue, including yours. When I removed the Jumper OC and did it in the BIOS---everything worked better than ever. In your case, I would defrag, uninstall drivers, run a driver cleaner,run a registry cleaner(this can be very important), reinstall drivers ,and see what happens.Good luck.Bob

Bob

Guest tpliesch
OOPS, I see you did post drivers in your first post. Sometimes my old eyes glaze over when I see long list of cool stuff. Usually the screen going blank seems to be a driver issue. As you may know, when you test with Vista 32 bit you will need the 3bg switch. There is a mismatch somewhere. For example: I have an MSI MB that coa OC with jumpers. I did that, and with my old 8800GT I could not run drivers nower that 169.25. The OC worked, but new drivers wouldn't. I recently got the 260 GTX, and always had some kind of issue, including yours. When I removed the Jumper OC and did it in the BIOS---everything worked better than ever. In your case, I would defrag, uninstall drivers, run a driver cleaner,run a registry cleaner(this can be very important), reinstall drivers ,and see what happens.Good luck.Bob
Thanks for your help - i will give it a try.But, i dont thing it will be the solution.If have installed my system x-times in the last 2 week - everytime them same.(And tested 32bit Windows with /3GB switch)I also tested with AT HD3870 - the same.My MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-X36-DQ6 -> no jumpers.Also the screen is not going black -> its flushing like old screen with the wrong line frequencySome rare time, the graphic gomes back again.I am not sure, but i think its not the nvidia drive, because ATI does the same.Maybe there will be another thing, where the problem stucks - but i try to clean and reainstall.Thomas

Try turning your settings sliders down a notch or two for each, looks like you may be running out of graphics memory.Are you using any FSX.cfg tweaks?

Guest abrucer

Given that it happens after a period of flying with highly detailed aircraft, I would say it is an OOM problem.Backing off some sliders would be a temporary fix. Search for OOM in the forum and you should find lots of advice on how to cure it.Bruce

Guest tpliesch
Try turning your settings sliders down a notch or two for each, looks like you may be running out of graphics memory.Are you using any FSX.cfg tweaks?
No tweaks are used in my last config.But also tested FSX.cfg tweaked and not tweaked -> also always the same problemI was also thinking about vram - do you know a tool, which can show "vram used" under VISTA 64?(I was already searching - but found no one)And VRAM OOM - GTX260 with 896MB?What are the setting for all those people using 512MB Vram?But i try to reduce settings.Thanks - i let you now about the results.Thomas

Guest tpliesch
Given that it happens after a period of flying with highly detailed aircraft, I would say it is an OOM problem.Backing off some sliders would be a temporary fix. Search for OOM in the forum and you should find lots of advice on how to cure it.Bruce
So i have some questions on OOM:I know OOM from my 32bit windows -> FSX/Windows always send a message ("... out of memory ...")and FSX closed.Now only my screen goes crazy - but no message -> what kind off OOM could this be?And i tried to search here for OOM -> but AVSIM do not allow search words lower then 4 letters -> so can you tell me a way for search please?(or is there an other good word for searching)ThanksThomas

OOM has little to do with your GPU, but rather, how your OS deals with virtual memory. You can also Googgle "3gb switch".Bob

Bob

Hi Thomas,Just wondering if you've found a solution to your problem? I seem to have the same issue when using some of the a/c you mentioned. My specs are in my sig, and the only cfg tweak I use is TBM=50. I've tried higher numbers and lower numbers with TBM, but they don't perform any better. I also tried removing nHancer and restoring back to default settings and that didn't work. Interestingly though, when I tick the DirectX 10 box and fly those very same a/c the problem never appears....Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

I had once very similiar problem. In my case the solution was to underclock the RAM performance (from 12800 to 11200). Performance decrease was almost unnoticable. Try this please.You could also overclock the RAM - it should appear a BSOD with some NVidia DLL problem after few seconds of flying - then You will know, that this is the RAM problem (and not the Video Card as it may seem). Hope it will help :)

Guest tpliesch

Hallo!First - if have still no solution for this problem.I have tested the above ideas, but it does not matter what i do, everytime i have the same problem.Some people were telling me, that it could be an out of memory from the vram, which i cannot check, because there is no error message and no tool to readout the used vramfor NVIDIA under VISTA.Now i will go back to FS9 (because i want to FLY) and hope, that sometime there will be a solution for my Problem.Thanks to all!Thomas

Guest ziporama

It looks to me like a driver and/or video card problem only, in particular, lack of texture memory or a driver setting not agreeing with FSX.Your screenshots don't look that different from my experience with early Vista drivers by Nvidia.I doubt it's a main memory problem or OOM as that has a very specific error.I'm going to run down my checklist when I get into this kind of trouble here:- Does this happen with the default Cessna on default scenery (pick an airport in a remote place).- Does this happen with the default texture sets (no weather, cloud or scenery add-ons)? That usually for me means a trip back to my backups. - Can you backup your cfg file for FSX, and delete it so it get recreated with defaults, can you duplicate the problem?- While this will cause flicker with some ground lines and improper light culling, can you duplicate the behavior in DX10 mode? This will test the driver.- Have you tried a clean video driver install using drivecleaner to remove the old one? This ensures no settings are interfering.- Using the default NHancer profile for FSX (ie, didn't change video setttings)?- It took I think 8 releases of the driver for FSX to work propertly for me under Vista 64, I know for a fact that what works in one version may get broken in the next release, so going back to an earlier driver may work, if your GPU is supported - that's always an issue. Try different drivers.- Are you overclocking your video card, in which case and does your configuration pass the ATI Tools torture tests (the fuzzy cube) at current clock speeds (note, it's called ATI tools, it can test either ATI or NVidia gear). - A stretch, but can in some cases create odd video things: If this is a custom build, can you switch the power supply rail going to your video card (if you have an external connector)?Hope one of the above helps you out!Etienne

OOM doesn't give these symptoms. It could be a driver problem, I suppose, but I would suspect this is a case of either the gpu running hot, or the entire PC overheating. Run some temperature tests.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.