Sign in to follow this  
craig_read

Winds aloft getting silly.

Hi,I have tried everything I can think of to stop these stupid massive wind changes which always ruin my long haul flights. Like today, was cruising and climbing quite happily.. doing .854 and then BAM.. my a/c is doing 200 knots stalling and I'm descending rapidly it was unrecoverable too and this happens all the time and it's so frustrating.. I've trawled the websites.. people have mentioned changing this.. changing that.. I've tried a lot of different things and nothing has worked I'd rather you guys just told me parrot fashion what to do to set myself up, because whatever it is I am doing just won't work.....I've tried fiddling with the settings, and nothing that I think would make any difference seems to improve matters, so obviously my settings are wrong here.. I just want someone to TELL ME.. exactly, bit by bit.. what I need to input in the options etc and FSX options and .. FSUIPC options to set this thing up so I don't have this problem but have winds at altitude...I have the following:FSXFSUIPC v4 installed PMDG 747 or MD-11 is all I flyASA, ASX, AS6.5 installedI fly with ASA in FSX.. can someone just tell me how I set this thing up so I have winds aloft but don't have these incidents every few minutes because I am tired of having to keep restarting.. At the moment all I can do is take off .. climb for a while before it starts getting very silly, or do low level circuits..Thanks Craig

Craig Read, EGLL

Hi Craig,just recently I have the same problems. . . and I think I know why! I had to reinstall FSRealtime and this feature also installs the latestFSUIPC versions for FS9 and FSX - here the problem starts:In the past you just enter the FSUIPC product key and then you are on your way. But this time it won't let me install the key - it says " close FS and then enter the key". . . where ? if FSUIPC is only runnning out of FS9 or FSX?Without this mishap AS6.5 does a very good job in respect to winds aloft.

Hi,We'll see what we can do here!A few suggestions:1. Please install our SP1 Beta. That may help a bit. It can be found at the top of this forum in a pinned topic.2. Both of those planes are very sensitive to wind shifts so all we can do at this time is minimize the shifts as much as possible.3. If your FSUIPC is a registered version then you can adjust the speed of shifts on the Winds tab. I don't have the registered version so I can't be any more specific than that.4. Make sure a flight plan is processed in ASA and that Virtual Stations and Enhanced Route Coverage are on.5. Experiment with DWC both On and Off and see if one way works better than the other.Thanks,

Hi,We'll see what we can do here!A few suggestions:1. Please install our SP1 Beta. That may help a bit. It can be found at the top of this forum in a pinned topic.2. Both of those planes are very sensitive to wind shifts so all we can do at this time is minimize the shifts as much as possible.3. If your FSUIPC is a registered version then you can adjust the speed of shifts on the Winds tab. I don't have the registered version so I can't be any more specific than that.4. Make sure a flight plan is processed in ASA and that Virtual Stations and Enhanced Route Coverage are on.5. Experiment with DWC both On and Off and see if one way works better than the other.Thanks,
Thanks for the speedy reply... Hope you didn't think my first post was too harsh.. I was a little annoyed.. but I've come off the ceiling now :).. apologies..This seems to be helping.. been cruising for a while now.. and nothing :)CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Thanks for the speedy reply... Hope you didn't think my first post was too harsh.. I was a little annoyed.. but I've come off the ceiling now :).. apologies..This seems to be helping.. been cruising for a while now.. and nothing :)CheersCraig
Spoke too soon, I am flying now with an enhanced route, wind smoothing on.. and my winds are still going nuts at times.. the winds for the final part of the route in the ASA brief for the route seem normal.. all 230 to 260 degrees and 60 to 80 knots.. but at times my wind dial on the 747 seems to go full circle all the way around! And as a result my aircraft stalls.. I've seen winds at 80 degrees 5 knots.. it's just insane.. and impossible to fly with.What is causing this!?CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Hi Craig,Is it the ASA data that is swinging or the data in FSX? As I just posted in another thread, much of this is caused by some faulty programming in SimConnect. So for thousands of hours we have been working around this programming issue. We thought that DWC for FSX would give us better results.The other part is the planes you are using and how they are interacting with DWC. With PMDG we have been working with them to release a fix. Right now the fix is to turn DWC off.From my own experience, I only use default planes in FSX and so I don't see these huge swings.Thanks,

In flight at present over France, Iam always having trouble with the winds but have tried to find out any ino to help you guys out, th winds seem to follow as expected with real world flightplan at the levels expected with windspeed and direction, until you pass FL250 or around there and then the winds start to behave erractic, or turn almost 180

I don't get these massive wind changes and my settings are below. I'm sure all this has been covered before or I'd not have managed it meself!ASA Settings:Enhanced Route Coverage ONCreate Additional Stations ONDynamic rate of change 50%Disable Winds Aloft UNCHECKEDDWC UNCHECKEDMax Wind Turbulance 20%FSUIPC v4.4 (registered) settings:WINDS Tab:Wind Smoothing ON at default, 2 in first box, 0 in secondSmooth Only When Airborne UNCHECKEDSuppress is ON for Turb, Gusts and VarianceWeather Read Interval 2Everything else on the Wind tab is UNCHECKEDCLOUDS tab:Suppress Turbulance ONSmooth Pressure ON at default 20Smooth Temperature (OAT) ON at 100Now those settings will not give you unrealistic ultra-smooth. you will still get turbulance bumps, you will still get variations in Mach of usually about +/- 0.5 so surges & drops in engine power BUT you won't get massive mood swings, stalls, huge overspeeds and you shouldn't get chucked out of the sky. I've used these settings in PMDG 747, LevelD and other add-ons but I havn't got the MD-11; I've done a Vatsim Cross the Pond event with these settings in the PMDG 747 with no problems at all. Whether it 100% reflects real world weather I have no idea but then all weather progs get their data from METARs only and thus everything else is a calculation. There are no METARs for FL380 in mid-atlantic. What does happen is that the wind is generally in the right direction and if it does change then it does so slowly rather than instantly. The pressure and temp smoothing make a BIG difference.Hope this helps.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Well Bill,tried out your settings, what can i say, i bow to you, no wild wind shifts at present, so i can now fly knowing iam not going to be knocked out of the sky, The winds are still roughly 180

Guest swanrunner

I mentioned this in a previous wind thread. I am using the PMDG 747, MD11, and Level-D 767. I do not have FSUIPC. I run ASA beta355 in Sim Connect 1 mode which can be found in the program directory where ASA is installed. I have DWC checked and use the route enhancement along with a route flight plan. Since I started doing this I have had no more wind shift issues, not even with the MD11. John

please explain, i dont understand what you mean with simconnect 1, How? do you do that

I no longer seem to be getting winds aloft. FSUIPC weather control is off. at N42*10.40/W88*34.90 at FL300 I have a 7 kt tailwind. Nearest reporting station is showing 85kts.The checkbox for disable winds aloft is *not* checked.I am getting annoyed with this, to be honest. If I'm not having crazy wind changes, I'm having no wind at all or temperature changes in the 100s of degrees. I understand simconnect has some issues, but I was expecting it to be better than ASX according to the stuff I had read. If anything, it's been worse. I can't fly above FL200 without having some crazy issue. I've had maybe 1 successful flight in the last week and 20 aborted flights. I'm sorry to complain, but this just isn't working at all, and I'm getting very frustrated. This is on a relatively fresh install of FSX on its own drive with a brand new install of XP64.-stefanEdit: DWC is turned off because it wasn't working particularly well. Also this is with the beta update.Edit2: Never mind, e-mail sent.

Guest swanrunner
please explain, i dont understand what you mean with simconnect 1, How? do you do that
Go into your program file where ASA is installed. On my Vista it is in the default directory under HiFi/ASA. In the ASA folder there is a file called ASA SimConnect 1 only. Double click it and ASA will start as normal or what I did is right click it and send it to desktop option so you don't have to go hunting for it every time. John

Go into your program file where ASA is installed. On my Vista it is in the default directory under HiFi/ASA. In the ASA folder there is a file called ASA SimConnect 1 only. Double click it and ASA will start as normal or what I did is right click it and send it to desktop option so you don't have to go hunting for it every time. John
ummm, i dont have that file at all in that folder.

Guest swanrunner
ummm, i dont have that file at all in that folder.
I am using ASA for FSX,if that is what you are using, not sure about FS9. Maybe someone from HiFi can shed more light on this. John