Sign in to follow this  
falk781

Project Black Skies - Core I7 965

This is a project I have been working on for a while, and I thought I would share the results with you --The system:Motherboard - ASUS Rampage II Extreme X58 Core I7 Extreme 965 Processor Case - Antec 1200 with (5) 120 mm fans (3 front, 2 rear) (1) 200 MM Big Boy on the top Power Supply - Antec 1000 W True Power Quatro Cooling - Swiftech Ultra with Northbridge cooling block (extra) Radiator mounted with (2) 120 mm fans on the rear of the case in addition to what is listed above/ Oversize coolant tank mounted in (2) 5.25 drive bays Video Card - BFG 285 OC Drives - Twin 300 GB WD Velociraptor 10,000 RPM SATA O.S. - Vista 64 bit installed on separate drive to decrease latency Memory - OCZ 1600spd DDR 3 - 6GBMonitors - Twin ACER 24" It clocked and running at just over 4.1. Anything more was becoming unstable. My BCLOCK is at 172 MHZ. The attached pictures are representative of the numbers and the OCCT test. AS I increased the BCLOCK, the memory speed decreased. The only way to get it back up that I could find, was raise the BCLOCK. While th voltage was ok, it became unstable and wouldn't even boot. I lowered the BCLOCK to 174 and it wouldn't pass the 1 HR test. I had to back it down to 172.The question I have is this -- if you look on the attached picture of the STATS, CPU-Z is showing 688 MHZ on the DRAM frequency. The BIOS is showing the memory speed at about 1340 or so. Are these two different measurements?I have the sliders nearly maxed and running NHANCER (Extremely Dense) and am seeing 50 - 60 frames at altitude with ASA running. At Kennedy, on the parkway visual approach, 2000 feet AGL at 30 frames and fairly smooth. Still need to work on the microstutters that occasionally occur with super high frames.Any thoughts on the system?

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

Some pictures of the machine --- Thought you would enjoy it --MoreMoreMoreMoreHeres anotherSome MoreNote the 295 card was bad from the factory and I replaced it with a 285 OC - i think it was a better choice since the 2nd GPU wasn't much use in FSX.

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

Guest CoolMaster

Why didn't you overclock with the Multi?

Why didn't you overclock with the Multi?
I overclocked it in the BIOS with the BCLOCK. That's the only place I'm aware of to do it unless you're using the turbo function which is in the picture, just as a reference. HT is shut off and so is Turbo.

Scott Falkowitz

I overclocked it in the BIOS with the BCLOCK. That's the only place I'm aware of to do it unless you're using the turbo function which is in the picture, just as a reference. HT is shut off and so is Turbo.

Scott Falkowitz

As I understand it you should be able to wind the multiplier up in the 965. You probably need to turn off Turbo mode to set the multiplier up but not sure for 965. You do to change the setting for the 920 on my MB.If you want to increase BCLK as well then Uncore must be at least 2x memory speed and VTT increased to match. 1.35V VTT is the recommended max. My 920 runs 211 BCLK at 1.34V VTT. Memory volts = 1.64 (both within XMP profile 1.35/1.65V).

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Can you do a FSX benchmark test?I7 dominates other CPU as far as FS gaming.

Can you do a FSX benchmark test?I7 dominates other CPU as far as FS gaming.
My DRAM is @ 1370 with a 4.1 over clock on the processor. How do I get it up to 1600? I don't see anything in there that raises it. The only way to get the memory up to 1600 is to raise BCLOCK but it makes it unstable and the final clock speed is about 4.4 MHZ.

Scott Falkowitz

My DRAM is @ 1370 with a 4.1 over clock on the processor. How do I get it up to 1600? I don't see anything in there that raises it. The only way to get the memory up to 1600 is to raise BCLOCK but it makes it unstable and the final clock speed is about 4.4 MHZ.
Sorry, I don't O/C Ram's.-Vincent

That is a pretty nice rig.Are you having the cold boot short-circuit issue? That same model of motherboard fried my i7 965 and I had to replace it.

That is a pretty nice rig.Are you having the cold boot short-circuit issue? That same model of motherboard fried my i7 965 and I had to replace it.
No I think that was in the older models. I've definitley heard of it before. Right now I'm running a BCLOCK of 172 @ about 4150 MHZ. It passed the one hour test and I'm flying it from Dubai to Sydney at the moment. The 295 card was a disaster, couldn't get windows to load it would just blue screen. The problem is definitley happening to more than one person. I exchanged the 295 with a 285 OC.

Scott Falkowitz

1) Install CPUZ (do a web search).2) On the memory tab look up the values under XMP. 3) If your memory has an XMP profile it may be possible to select XMP in bios and the values are automatically loaded into bios. (For Corsair XMS it is 1.65 V 9/9/9/24 and VTT are all automatically set). Otherwise insert the relevant settings manually in Bios.4) Set down the processor multiplier temporarily to prove that there is no processor issue.5) Set BCLK to 200 which should allow 1600 memory speed if the memory multiplier is correctly set.See what happens. Run Prime 95 blend for a few hours to prove stability. Unfortunately you dont say your exact memory model so I cant look up the correct settings.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Guest CoolMaster

If he is running a x64 system Prime 95 is not the best tool! It will give you errors even if there are none! Take a look at the tool "LinX" intel and IBM use it to test the super computers!WARNING! LinX will heat up you CPU like HELL! So far no game or anyother benchmark will ever heat it up!

WOW a very cool system :( But why have you mounted the cooling radiator outside the case and not inside the case, like in my build.By the way my project is called freezingsysteem1.jpg

If he is running a x64 system Prime 95 is not the best tool! It will give you errors even if there are none! Take a look at the tool "LinX" intel and IBM use it to test the super computers!WARNING! LinX will heat up you CPU like HELL! So far no game or anyother benchmark will ever heat it up!
Eh? The objective was to check the memory not the CPU. I know there are plenty of other tools but for memory testing I can assure you that I can change one memory setting and get errors and BSOD's in Prime . Incidentally, Memtest will pass on the same settings.I'll leave for you to argue over as I've spent the last four weeks on two MB's and endless BIOS changes getting a cool stable system with various test tools at 4Ghz with 12Gb.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs