Sign in to follow this  
michaelohalloran

How to completely remove FSX?

Hi, i have installed addons and screwed my FSX up a bit, I just want to fully reinstall it like it has not been installed before.. I know with FS2004 you used to uninstall it and then search and delete a couple of files, How do i do it with FSX?

Guest firehawk44
Hi, i have installed addons and screwed my FSX up a bit, I just want to fully reinstall it like it has not been installed before.. I know with FS2004 you used to uninstall it and then search and delete a couple of files, How do i do it with FSX?
Go to the Add/Remove Program in your control panel and uninstall each addon, then select to uninstall FSX. Shutdown/Restart Windows. Look for leftover files in the Program Files section on your hard drive. Use a free Registry cleaner and clean the registry. I'm not sure what version of Windows you have installed but files could still be leftover depending on whether you have XP or Vista. I would make sure you can see hidden files then do a search of your harddrive for anything FSX related, delete if appropriate. Reinstall FSX.Best regards,Jim

Hi, thanks for the reply, I am running Vista, I also do not know where to search for files on vista, When i go Add remove programs i cannot see flight simulator X there? Do i need to uninstall acceleration first? I just can't see it.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I am running Vista, I also do not know where to search for files on vista, When i go Add remove programs i cannot see flight simulator X there? Do i need to uninstall acceleration first? I just can't see it.
Yes. Uninstalling is like peeling an onion. First you have to peel off the outer layer which is Acceleration, then the next layer, etc.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest firehawk44
Yes, Acceleration IS FSX. For Vista make sure the following folders have been deleted:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\(then look for FSX folders and delete if still there)C:\Program Data\Microsoft\(then look for FSX folder containing your scenery.cfg and delete if there).C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (delete if still there)C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX (delete if still there)That should do it. Run a Registry cleaner (you can get a free one on the Internet - just Google Registry Cleaner). Reinstall FSX (the original first then Acceleration).Best regards,Jim

Yes, Acceleration IS FSX. For Vista make sure the following folders have been deleted: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\(then look for FSX folders and delete if still there)C:\Program Data\Microsoft\(then look for FSX folder containing your scenery.cfg and delete if there).C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (delete if still there)C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX (delete if still there) That should do it. Run a Registry cleaner (you can get a free one on the Internet - just Google Registry Cleaner). Reinstall FSX (the original first then Acceleration). Best regards,Jim
Hello Im needing to reinstall fsx on win7 64, as well as pmdg 737ngx. For the ngx, do I download the uninstall ngx file/app from the pmdg site and use that, then follow the above method for fsx? Any issues for win 7 that differ from the above vista method? thanks so much!!

Guest firehawk44
Hello Im needing to reinstall fsx on win7 64, as well as pmdg 737ngx. For the ngx, do I download the uninstall ngx file/app from the pmdg site and use that, then follow the above method for fsx? Any issues for win 7 that differ from the above vista method? thanks so much!!
If you want to uninstall the PMDG 737NGX, simply click on the Start button, click on Control Panel. Once the Control Panel is open, click on Uninstall a Program. Scroll down to the PMDG 737 and select uninstall. Same procedures for Vista. When you reinstall FSX/Acceleration/PMDG737, make sure any anti-virus program is temporarily disabled and also disable the User Access Controls (Click on the Start button, select Control Panel, click on User Accounts and Family Safety, click on User Accounts, then select User Accounts Control Settings. Then move the slider down to 'Never Notify'). Once FSX and any addons are installed, you can reenable the User Access Controls but most people keep this disabled. If you have a good anti-virus program, User Access Controls can be safely disabled. Best regards,Jim

Also, don't forget to clear out your %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX and %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX folders. The uninstaller should do that for you, but you never know. If using Win7, just type those two into a Run dialog box to get to them.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

And in the end, I suggest using Windows Install CleanUp, it removes entries that are invisible to you but prevent you from installing FSX new (sometimes).You can run it and remove anything you find in connection to FSX and FSX itself.http://www.pcwelt.de...ity-557997.html
Also, don't forget to clear out your %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX and %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX folders. The uninstaller should do that for you, but you never know. If using Win7, just type those two into a Run dialog box to get to them.
If you want to uninstall the PMDG 737NGX, simply click on the Start button, click on Control Panel. Once the Control Panel is open, click on Uninstall a Program. Scroll down to the PMDG 737 and select uninstall. Same procedures for Vista. When you reinstall FSX/Acceleration/PMDG737, make sure any anti-virus program is temporarily disabled and also disable the User Access Controls (Click on the Start button, select Control Panel, click on User Accounts and Family Safety, click on User Accounts, then select User Accounts Control Settings. Then move the slider down to 'Never Notify'). Once FSX and any addons are installed, you can reenable the User Access Controls but most people keep this disabled. If you have a good anti-virus program, User Access Controls can be safely disabled. Best regards,Jim
WOW so helpfull, I love this site. So u recommend using add/remove prog for the pmdg uninstall? I have downloaded the Uninstall for the ngx from the misc files on pmdg site, is that glitchy or something? Or u know that using the add/remove clears up your key so u can reinstall it after a new fsx install? My Issue is I bought the x52 pro joystick and when its connected to my comp, fsx simply freezes on the opening screen and cant be shutdown which leads me to believe a fsx reinstall could clear it up a bit. I have a zillion free addon planes I never use and probably half are installed wrong anyways. The x52 worked fine once, when I started flight on runway and then plugged it in and switched from full screen to window. It froze once I hit end flight so any suggestions on what it could be? Or what company support I should contact first? I was told fsx would take control of my comp and get it working but figured Id ask. Thanks again brothers!! Word Not Allowed I went to get that Program and the microsoft site says they no longer provide it because it ocasionally messed up things randomly??

Guest firehawk44

"So u recommend using add/remove prog for the pmdg uninstall? I have downloaded the Uninstall for the ngx from the misc files on pmdg site, is that glitchy or something? Or u know that using the add/remove clears up your key so u can reinstall it after a new fsx install?" Either method will work especially since you stated you were uninstalling and reinstalling FSX. But, if PMDG has a special removal procedure for the 737NGX, I would use that method first. I'm not sure exactly what the Add/Remove program will do but evidently PMDG saw that it did not completely uninstall their product. I'm sure they will fix this someday in a future update of their product. Best regards,Jim

Why not to set up your system (w7 ?) new again. It depends how complex your sys is now, but when I had to do my last FSX re-installation I made a complete new system (w7 x64) than installed FSX /Acc again. It is also helpful to create an image of the new system and the FSX Acc (neat) partition. So you can always access the FSX original files if some get lost or corrupted. Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

It is also helpful to create an image of the new system and the FSX Acc (neat) partition. So you can always access the FSX original files if some get lost or corrupted.
Do this to a set of DVD's plus hard and soft copies of ALL the emails that came with the purchase. Just saves drive space. Of course drive space is no problem nowadays.. Flight1 will also supply you with a record of all of your purchases, provided you can authenticate yourself.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Word Not Allowed I went to get that Program and the microsoft site says they no longer provide it because it ocasionally messed up things randomly??
I had a problem with FSX not wanting to reinstall. Each time it only said it can be repaired, then SP1 installation would fail...I was looking for different solutions, and stumbled again that solution. It solved my problem.

I had a problem with FSX not wanting to reinstall. Each time it only said it can be repaired, then SP1 installation would fail...I was looking for different solutions, and stumbled again that solution. It solved my problem.
How long ago was this, and what operating system where you running? Also whats the proper way to uninstall the pmdg 737ngx before uninstalling fsx if u know. Ive read add/remove programs in control panel, but there's a specific 737ngx uninstalation app on the pmdg misc downloads section so Im wondering if people are having problems with it or something like that. I just dont feel like spending another 70$ or having to wait forever to get a new key from them, so Im trying to see who has succesfully reinstalled thier 737ngx and what method they used. firehawk44 - Yeah pmdg states specifically on the support site that if u dont uninstall properly, your key wont get reset and you wont be able to activate it once reinstalled which makes sense because otherwise that would basically allow ppl to give the key to everyone they know. So again thats why I keep sweating which method I should use. nemo - I will most definately be doing that. The laptop is 3 months old and has very little on it aside from fsx. I went on a freeware downloading spree once I knew add-on planes existed and got every plane I thought looked cool in the description picture and all the guages/panels and all kinds of other crud along with them has made fsx run very poorly. Id never be able to fly online the way it is now because I mean the simplest thing makes it freeze up.