Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG's BAe JS4100 Sneak Peek...

Captains-It's Friday- so we thought you might like an opportunity to sneak a peek at our upcoming PMDG BAe JetStream 41!First, thank you to everyone who has expressed interest in this project over the past few months. When we commenced development of this airplane last year, we decided that we were going to break with tradition a little bit, and withhold information on the project until it was ready for "prime time" previews. "The Plan" (as it shall be known) was to do the software equivalent of dropping this one casually into conversation when she was relatively close to release.Unfortunately- two things happened by accident: 1) I mentioned that there was a project underway in an interview (oops) and 2) our good friends over at Aerosoft added the project to their price list by accident. (oops)In the end, we decided to stick to (what was left of) "The Plan" and only roll her out for you to see when we felt she was nearing Prime Time!Next, a bit about the project itself: The PMDG BAe JetStream 41 will be an FSX only product. This is NOT a simplified PMDG EXPRESS product, but is a full study simulation of this modern turboprop aircraft right own to the brass tacks. I've got a "bit" of time on the airplane, so we've been able to leverage our contacts within the industry to obtain significant help in preparing resources to ensure that this project brings you an incredible sense of "being there."Obviously- after the tremendous level of realism and detail contained in our PMDG MD-11, raising the bar again wasn't going to be an easy task. As you'll see by the images below, we've focused a significant amount of effort on improving the visual quality of the airplane inside and out. Obviously- we have become quite good at simulating the operation of the airplane- so on this project we have tried out new techniques and ideas to make the cockpit more realistic. Many of the techniques that we've developed on the J41 are being used to bring the same level of detail to the upcoming NG2.0- so this will serve to whet your appetite!I'll have quite a bit more information on the various features of the J41, along with some pre-release information during the weekend....An exterior view, taking off from Mega-Airport EGLLPMDG_J41.jpgFlaps 25, short final on an early test flight...PMDG_J41_2.jpgVirtual Cockpit Overview... None of these images have been altered and all are from within the sim.fsx-2009-04-14-20-09-49-69.jpgNotice the light bloom from the annunciators, as well as the detail in the window reflection...fsx-2009-04-14-20-23-12-70.jpgNotice the detail around the cockpit, and the structure around the windows. Even the window dataplates and heating elements...fsx-2009-04-14-20-25-25-18.jpgAnd now for some closeups...Notice how the display tubes are set back from the glass (complete with fingerprints...) All analogue gauges are modeled in super-smooth 3D...fsx-2009-04-14-20-11-29-70.jpgExtraordinary levels of detail, even when zoomed in closely...fsx-2009-04-14-20-11-50-20.jpgNo- this isn't a photo- this is an in-sim screen capture...fsx-2009-04-14-20-10-48-98.jpgOkay- I think that will give you a taste of what we are up to. I'll be back with details about the functionality of the PMDG BAe JetStream 41 on Friday night!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thank you for the preview Robert!The airplane looks astoundingly beautiful! I see that Vin probably rendered the textures in the 3D software, "baking" all the nice photoreal effects and shadows to the virtual cockpit. Excellent work!If possible, could we see some shots of the 2D panel as well? I fly with multiple monitors, so 2D panel is the one I use most.It looks very interesting, and I will surely keep supporting you by getting this plane. A nice change from flying big jets.

Looks incredible! Eagerly waiting to purchase...edit: Can the yoke position call be lowered and the PFD/ND/FMC be popped up... like in the MD11?edit2: Love the way the red G/S and LOC needles are in front of the artificial horizon in shot 6.edit3: Have you ever tried the RealAir SF260? In that you can click the mouse on a knob (left button for outer knob/right button for inner knob) and then drag up/down to rotate the knob. This makes it very easy to manipulate knobs/rotary encoders in the VC especially when the VC is bumping around... does the J41 implement something similar? IMO this type of tech in the J41 would also "raise the bar". Please consider making the VC easier to manipulate. :(

Matthew S

Hi Robert,Great work and AMAZING detail. I am waiting for the new NG, however will definitely be buying this one as well.RegardsIan Friend

Ian Friend

MOBO: Asus P8P67-LE P67 (B3) | CPU: Intel i5 2500K O/C 4.5Ghz | Corsair Hydro H100i CPU Cooler | RAM: Kingston Hyperx 8GB 1600 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 | HDD1: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | HDD2: WD6400AAKS 640GB | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Stunning VC. :( CC ready! :(

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Slightly off topic but it would be incredible to see a PMDG 747-100 or 747-200 with the same level of visual quality as the J41 in the VC.... even if its just an express product! Sure there is the CLS747, but it would pale in comparison to a PMDG offering.Anyway, congrats on your efforts... looking forward to the J41

Matthew S

hello everyone, just a word to say what an excellent job of work has been done to produce this JS41, bearing in mind i am not privy to the number of staff at pmdg development team, however, i have a feeling that to produce the JS41 the production of the 737ng.2 might have been put on the back burner. of the two, i would have much preferred the 737 getting the priority, although i will purchase the JS41. i hope you guys can prove me wrong. richard welsh

Good grief, that's incredible! That'll make a few other aircraft developers spill their tea! Quite stunning.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

hello everyone, just a word to say what an excellent job of work has been done to produce this JS41, bearing in mind i am not privy to the number of staff at pmdg development team, however, i have a feeling that to produce the JS41 the production of the 737ng.2 might have been put on the back burner. of the two, i would have much preferred the 737 getting the priority, although i will purchase the JS41. i hope you guys can prove me wrong. richard welsh
I think they are separate teams but will share some of the new J41 tech?

Matthew S

Matthew-You guessed correctly. The team has grown rather dramatically and this allows us to have two full, nearly independent development teams.The NG2.0 is being worked by a different team and is progressing rapidly. So there, Richard. I can prove you wrong. :(

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

must resist... must resist switching to fsx..must resist...go away you you evil thing...arghI have bought both the MD11 and 747 verisions of FSX but never use them since my E6600 with 2 GB RAM and a nvidia 9800GT can't run FSX the way I want I to. But looking at these pictures.... dang

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Am I seeing real-time self-shadowing in the cockpit? One of the coolest features of the FSX VC environment! :(