Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jim Knows

Finally got rid of those micro-stutters

Guest Jim Knows

My Specs:Q6600@3.6 GHZ @ 1.34(cpuz)9800GX2 OC 751CC/1877SH/1000MC (video card fan @ 100%)4 x 1 gig OCZ Flex XLC 800 Dual 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0vXP Pro SP3Forceware driver 182.50TrackIR 4UTX - CanadaScenerytech landclassREX 1.1nHancerBasically my flight sim experience is pretty good. Everything is just short of perfect except for the little darm micro-stuttering when turning or looking hard left or hard right. Even in cruise configuration looking straight ahead, I'd still get the odd micro-stutter. I investigated 9 million tips on how to resolve this short of getting better hardware which btw as it is now, is pretty darn goood. Many tips did help, but still the darn occasional little micro-stutters remained.By accident I came across something I always took for granted in the past. The solution to this problem for me was in the System Properties. I changed the "Memory Usage" from System Cache to Programs.I then rebooted, went to FSX and discovered the llitle hiccups and micro-stutters were GONE. No matter what I did in FSX, everything remained smooth. In the process, I noticed that everything in the windows environment also perked up and what was already loading very quickly loaded even quicker.<system properties> <advanced> <In Performance section click on settings> <advanced> <Memory Usage>

Guest Nick_N

FYIBy default it should NOT have been set to SYSTEM CACHEThat is a myth which goes back many years and posted all over the net as a good tweak.. it's FALSEIt should be set to PROGRAMSThe only way that was switched from Programs to System Cache was manually as Windows always installs with that set to PROGRAMS

Guest Jim Knows

"The only way that was switched from Programs to System Cache was manually as Windows always installs with that set to PROGRAMS"That must be me with one of those 9 million tweaks.Thanks for the responce in the other thread on the nHancer thing.

Guest Nick_N
"The only way that was switched from Programs to System Cache was manually as Windows always installs with that set to PROGRAMS"That must be me with one of those 9 million tweaks.Thanks for the responce in the other thread on the nHancer thing.
No problemBy the way.. here is another FALSE tweak which related directly to the same setting you changed however this one instead of making things run worse, it does NOTHING at allHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControlWin32PrioritySeparation = 26 (HEX) or 38 (DECIMAL) Change from DEFAULT 2 to '26' is the tweak you will see posted all over and hear about.. anyone who tells you to do this is cluelessIt

No problemBy the way.. here is another FALSE tweak which related directly to the same setting you changed however this one instead of making things run worse, it does NOTHING at allHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControlWin32PrioritySeparation = 26 (HEX) or 38 (DECIMAL) Change from DEFAULT 2 to '26' is the tweak you will see posted all over and hear about.. anyone who tells you to do this is cluelessIt's not a tweak. All you're doing is ensuring that Windows has indeed set the priority of the processor to PROGRAMS. THE SAME setting you find under the SYSTEM PROPERTIES in the ADVANCED area. If you move the bullet from PROGRAMS to SYSTEM CACHE and BACK to PROGRAMS Windows will change this from 2 to 26, not because of a perf difference but SIMPLY because of how it was programmed by MS. The default setting of "2" is EXACTLY the same as "26" there is no difference at allThe setting is BINARY CONTROLLED NOT HEXHere is the setting and how it works:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...3.mspx?mfr=trueTRANSLATION:Convert HEX "2" to BINARY. It equals in six digits= 000010 (each 2 numbers in BINARY represents AA-BB-CC which is what Windows understands)AA-BB-CC TRANSLATION: The first 00 = SHORT INTERVALS WIN 2000 XP non server ONLYThe second 00 = Variable-Length Intervals WIN 2000 XP non server ONLYThe third number 10 = 3:1. The threads of foreground processes get three times the processor time as the threads of background processes Convert HEX 26 to BINARY. It equals in six digits = 100110AA-BB-CC TRANSLATION: The first 10 = SHORT INTERVALS (ALL WINDOWS 2000 based PRODUCTS)The second 01 = Variable-Length Intervals (ALL WINDOWS 2000 based PRODUCTS) The third number 10 = 3:1. The threads of foreground processes get three times the processor time as the threads of background processes Those 2 ARE exactly the sameUNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING WINDOWS 2000 SERVER, THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME WITH NO DIFFERENCE. WINDOWS SERVER WILL SET THIS PROPERLY BY ITSELF AS WELL.AND here is the chart that WORKS this setting... I highly advise against changing it even though you CAN give 6 times the processor to the foreground application it WILL starve needed background subsystems while MSFS is runningWin32PrioritySeparation Key: 0xXX (HEX) = Foreground | Background0x28, 0x29, 0x2A 18 | 180x18, 0x19, 0x1A 36 | 360x24 6 | 60x25, 0x14 12 | 6 <---- You change the INTERVAL which is BAD0x26 0x2 18 | 6 <----Windows DEFAULT FOR PROGRAMS BEST SETTING (notice they are 2 and 26!) 0x15 24 | 6 <---- You change the INTERVAL which is BAD0x16 36 | 6 <----MAX but you change the INTERVAL which is BADUnlike almost ANY other registry change this one DOES NOT REQUIRE A REBOOT. It will immediately change the processor priority on the flyThere is so much tweak horse manure people are fed out there its not funny and a lot of it has to do with it being PASSED from one person to another and then some so called 'expert' reads it and posts it so eveyone is in awe of their *cough* knowledge and it makes for great traffic to ones web sitehere are your tweaksOShttp://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...=1208959973/0#0FSXhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041More can be done with FSX through addons however those 2 links will get you pretty darn close to where you want to begood luck
One question Nick. As a derfrag tool I use Perfect Disk> Is that OK to use with FSX???Andrew Dixon

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Guest Nick_N

Your choice of defrag tool is up to you however I would not use PD if you are using the list I posted for OS optimizingPD's design uses the LAST ACCESS time stamp the OS places on a file.. you shut the last access time stamp down if you followed my suggestions herehttp://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...=1208959973/0#0Which means you will have a mess.. an organized mess, but a mess none the less using PDDisabling that last access time stamp goes a long way in both system and disk perfThat is one of the reasons why I specify O&O Defrag and outline its use. If you are not using that list or have not set the NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate key to disable then PD is fine but it stil will not optimize a file system as well as O&O for MSFS useNote to lurkers: I am not going to debate anyone about defrag tools.. use what you want to use. What I post is based on a methodology which requires continuity in operation.. one thing out of place and it can all fall apart and not work as well or at all :(