Sign in to follow this  
tfm

Black/disappearing textures? Some bizarre news ...

I have posted frequently on this subject, sometimes in the belief that I'd sorted the problem out with some solution or other - only to find it recurring later. There seem to be several variants of the problem. Briefly, in my case: the problem is that when pressing ALT+ENTER to switch to / from full screen / windowed mode, the display is likely to be corrupted, especially in areas of dense scenery but most notably on approach and landing when there is a lot going on. The corruption takes the form of the 3D cockpit disappearing, together with most other bits of detail, leaving a mucky mess consisting of the ground texture on its own, maybe with a bit of cloud or sky thrown in - often leading, eventually, to a completely black screen. FSX is still running, in the sense that I can "escape" to the main menu and conduct an orderly shut-down: but the preview screen is black.I have finally found out the SOURCE of the problem on my PC, but am truly stumped as to where to go next. It is very bizarre.If my whole flight is flown without sound (turn sound off using the "Q" button in FSX) then I cannot trigger the black screens etc.But if I have had the sound on at any stage during the flight, there is a good chance I will get the problem.I am now (virtually!) 100% about this.This, I believe, helps explain the randomness of my results: I do quite a lot of my flying "silently" and it must be during these spells that I have had no problems.I've tried with two different sound cards by different manufacturers, with the same results.I've tried all the sound related settings I can think off (turning on/off HD in the BIOS, telling the card to use different frequencies and so on) to no avail.Can anyone think of anything else to do? How is it possible for the sounds of the PMDG models - though not the LevelD 767X or the default aircraft - to cause these problems?Tim

I have the same problem TFM and I have never considered this to be the problem. I know that for my sound to work that I must have my HDMI driver installed with my ATI card. I will test this as well and see what I get.Jackie P

Tim,Do you normally fly with or without ATC when you have sound enabled?? I'm curious as to the possibility of ATC being more the common denomenator than just the sound in general.Bob

lol it looks like PMDG are creating more bugs than fixing them iwth the 1.2 patch. I can't update to 1.2 because the screen just go black and crashes with FS9.Perhaps we need a 1.21 patch.

Tim: Check your sound drivers... do you have anything unusual in your system?H Chan, if FS9 crashes were common there'd be a lot more activity in the forum. I'm not saying it's bug free but it does hold up to the test of large numbers. Have you tried to solve the problem with support's help?

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan: I've checked the drivers: they appear to be in order and up to date. I am not aware of having anything "unusual" in my system. It's an Asus Rampage Extreme, E8600, 4GB RAM, BFG GTX285, 3ware 9690SA RAID controller, 4x SAS drives. The problem is the same with or without over-clocking. I've tried with two sound cards, with the same results. The results are also the same with an 8800 Ultra graphics card. And with different RAM sticks.Bob: I don't use ATC at all. If I want ATC I use VATSIM, but I haven't been online for ages because of these annoying random crashes, which can often occur just as I'm about to land, to the mystification and annoyance of other people flying online. I know, I could go back to using the LevelD 767X: but that would be like admitting defeat.Jackie: I'm not aware that I am missing any drivers, but over the weekend I will do a search on "HDMI" to see if that throws anything up.Thanks to all for the help.Tim

Tim, so far I believe that you have found the problem. In my case I have an ATI card 4870. My first drivers version9.1 I believe did not come with HDMI audio. I upgraded to the 9.3 and this gave the option for me to install HDMI audio driver. After reading your post today I removed the HDMI audio driver and I downloaded a recent audio driver for my Asus P5K-E. I am about 3hrs in my flight BOS to DDF and I am able to ALT+Enter without the Black screen. I am also able to get to the PMDG menu without any problems. I am still going to give it a bit more time in flight but so far so good. Jackie

Tim, everything worked for me by removing my ati HDMI sound driver and just updating my audio driver for my motherboard I will have to say resolved the problem. I was able to make the flight and watch the replay of my landing with the sound on the whole flight.Jackie

Tim, everything worked for me by removing my ati HDMI sound driver and just updating my audio driver for my motherboard I will have to say resolved the problem. I was able to make the flight and watch the replay of my landing with the sound on the whole flight.Jackie
Jackie: I'm very glad to hear it and I hope it's a solid solution for you. Sadly, it doesn't offer any immediate solution for me. I have an Nvidia graphics card which doesn't seem to have a separate HDMI driver. It's plugged into a Sony 42" Bravia TV using the HDMI converter plugged into the DVI socket: maybe that's something to do with it. Tim

Hey Tim, I am stumped, do you have 7.1 surrond sound. If so try disabling it. I am still testing mine and hope that it was not a fluke last night. I now have my sound setup as just 2 forward speakers and a woofer. Worth a shot Jackie

I used to get the blackscreen all the time when I ALT and went into any of the menu settings, so I just stopped doing that all together or switching views, now I have a new problem which seems to occur only during dusk or night flights, my textures disappear, I can see the clouds the stars everything, untitled-1.jpgI love this aircraft but its getting to the point where its unlikely that I can complete a flight with out incident, I would say I have a really clean setup, this PC is just for FSX, I have the proper drivers and such, have not really had any issues with any other addons, has there been any official word from pmdg, its seems like there are a lot of people having issues.

Yea I would agree very strange problems indeed. Jackie

I used to get the blackscreen all the time when I ALT and went into any of the menu settings, so I just stopped doing that all together or switching views, now I have a new problem which seems to occur only during dusk or night flights, my textures disappear, I can see the clouds the stars everything
Ian,Did it just start suddenly for you? Did you make any changes recently? I'm imagine anything you can think of, could help PMDG solve the issue.
I love this aircraft but its getting to the point where its unlikely that I can complete a flight with out incident, I would say I have a really clean setup, this PC is just for FSX, I have the proper drivers and such, have not really had any issues with any other addons, has there been any official word from pmdg, its seems like there are a lot of people having issues.
I don't want to speak for PMDG, but I know they are aware of the issue and are looking into it.

WhenI first got MD11 it was already V1.20, I did have some black panel issues when switching to full screen and such, I have not done to many night flights just 4 over the last 2 weeks and this has happened everytime, textures just disappear, it does not affect the 2d panel, just any 3d panel modes, and has only happened during night flights. Nothing really has changed with my PC, I learned how to avoid the black screen but this new problem is unavoidable unless I fly daytime only.

Guys that ATI HDMI audio driver/device has nothing to do with FSX's sound - it's a pass through system for outputting the sound from the PC through to a TV or home theater system reciever via HDMI. This is really only used with movies and other HDCP protected content too...This is strange that disabling sound seems to fix the issue though for you guys. Can anyone verify if disabling sound fixes it right there on the spot while the problem is actually occurring?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com