Sign in to follow this  
Plainplane

Who is First Class Simulations?

I recently got an email from "First Class Simulations" (noreply@sourcewise.net) to my personal email address, advertising the PMDG MD-11.However, I have never registered with them, and apparently I would have no need to as they are supposedly an internet store at the other side of the world. I used the forgotten password link and my email address is indeed not registered with them.So how did they get my email address to solicit the product, and are they even an authorized reseller?The website they included in the email is "www.firstclass-simulations.com".Pictures of the email:Pictures deleted... let's not give them a full page color ad here at Avsim as a reward for spamming us....

Edited by Staggerwing

I recently got an email from "First Class Simulations" (noreply@sourcewise.net) to my personal email address, advertising the PMDG MD-11.However, I have never registered with them, and apparently I would have no need to as they are supposedly an internet store at the other side of the world. I used the forgotten password link and my email address is indeed not registered with them.So how did they get my email address to solicit the product, and are they even an authorized reseller?
I also got this, and sent it to the usual receptacle for unsolicited advertising email. I'd also be interested to know how they got my email address. I also wonder whether PMDG know anything about this?Colin

Same here, I have been asking myself the same questions... :(

Same here.. the domain appears to be a redirect to simsoftware.co.uk, who in turn are a Trading name of Contact-Sales LTD. Excalibur Publishing is also mentioned.. I wonder if they've got the addresses from a magazine, perhaps?

Louise

London, UK

Good to know I'm not alone with this.I'm not registered with any magazines or newsletters. The address of the inbox I received the message at was never given or posted publicly or submitted to anything except a few US-based flight sim forums like this one.

I recently got an email from "First Class Simulations" (noreply@sourcewise.net) to my personal email address, advertising the PMDG MD-11.However, I have never registered with them, and apparently I would have no need to as they are supposedly an internet store at the other side of the world. I used the forgotten password link and my email address is indeed not registered with them.So how did they get my email address to solicit the product, and are they even an authorized reseller?The website they included in the email is "www.firstclass-simulations.com".Pictures of the email:Well, let's not give them a full page color ad here at Avsim also....
Same here, received email to an address I've only used with Avsim. I'd love to know how they accessed it.-John

I too received this Spam message- but it came in on the Email address for my wife's computer- which I have not used for about 3 years. So however they got our addresses - they are 3+ years old.Alex Reid

Indeed, the message was received in the inbox of the email address that I used to register here.

:( I'm registered at here...didn't get the spam...what's missing?

Guest RonB49
:( I'm registered at here...didn't get the spam...what's missing?
If you'd like I could forward it to you. :( R-

I got this one too, and IDK who gave my e-mail to them. I want to know who the fark gave them my e-mail addresses. I got them at 2 of my gmail accounts. Interestingly enough, they got hold of my one I use for work related things, and my one I use as my personal non-work e-mail. I'm wondering if someone sold us out, and if so, whom... I gotta wonder how they got these though, I am thinking it could have been one of several places that did this. I have to wonder though who the fark would be that big of an A-Hole in the flight sim community to do that.Oh just a note, If anyone finds out how this happened, please let the community know, as this is something we need to learn who to avoid giving our info to. If their selling our e-mail addresses, who knows what else their selling....

Guest Binkles

Must admit I got this email too, and it's not at many sites at all, and this is the only one of the lot of them that has a post about it.Would love to know how they got it, as I don't use this email address for many sites at all.

Before paranoia takes over completely let's remember:

1. We don't know how many AVSIM members didn't get this e-mail - I didn't
  2. We don't know how many non-AVSIM members got it.

also note the following extract from AVSIM's Terms of Use:...and we do all that is technically feasible to prevent spam bots from getting access to your email data.I imagine this the same on many sites.

Indeed, the message was received in the inbox of the email address that I used to register here.
Hold it. Before you accuse AVSIM of this, you had better have your facts straight. We do not harvest or sell email addresses. Never have and never will. Are you sure you want to accuse AVSIM of providing your email to a third party? There are a number of other sites that DO sell their reader's email, but not AVSIM.
Before paranoia takes over completely let's remember:
  1. We don't know how many AVSIM members didn't get this e-mail - I didn't
  2. We don't know how many non-AVSIM members got it.

also note the following extract from AVSIM's Terms of Use:...and we do all that is technically feasible to prevent spam bots from getting access to your email data.I imagine this the same on many sites.

Good advice and thank you for pointing that out. I got the email too. But then, my email address is all over the net.