Sign in to follow this  
niyoko

Capt.Sim 767...This was unexpected.

I'm at work right now and just got an email from Captain Sim. It proceeded to present a link to their new 767-300 preview page. Captain Sim 767-300...a 767 from Captain Sim?! huh?! ...That was and still is my current feelings. I did not expect them to be making a 767 I do see a need for a new "pro" level 767.I enjoy their 757, and I guess the 767 is natural next step forward.Where does this put the team of the Level-D 767? The biggest improvement that is currently apparent is the high quality of the VC and cabin area. Everyone can have the cabin, though it does look great. I'm really liking the improved textures of the VC. Just WOW! I have not seen any recent additions to Level-D's 767. I don't know if they are continuing to develop it any further. If they don't that might put some on the fence.I think Level-D have the best 767-300 available that money can buy for FS9/X. If Captain Sim can bring the same experience of Level-D and give the improved visuals specific to FSX, it could be a good alternative.Right now I'm still going to recommend Level-D. It is rock solid. Looks good. Has A LOT of liveries (This is a key decision factor for me vs. Capt.Sim. Their stuff always feels lacking in liveries.).I would like to see Level-D have a wingleted 767 upgrade when the data is available.

No SDK though : no ability to tap into offsets for hardware etc so thats a big thumbs down from me.

I got that email too. I think it would have to be something pretty spectacular to entice people who already have the Level D 767. Sure they CS make one with a prettier VC, but if all that does is buy you slower frame rates than the Level D 767, then what would be the incentive to get it?I'm a bit bemused by that to be honest; it's not as if the FSX Level D 767 is no good, in fact it's one of the best FS add-ons you can buy.I'm not going to complain about another FS add-on airliner showing up of course, but it seems odd that Level D have a 767 and are making a 757, and CS have a 757 and are making a 767. Sure, both real aircraft have a lot of cockpit commonality that would make systems development simpler, but from an FS marketing standpoint it seems to be limiting sales potential.If it were my choice, I'd go for something that would be unique and popular too, such as a 737-200 ADV or an L-1011. PMDG may seem a bit off the wall in going for the MD-11 and the J41, but there is a method to their madness in that respect.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

No SDK though : no ability to tap into offsets for hardware etc so thats a big thumbs down from me.
SDK and hardware offsets, good point! I don't know the SDK for LevelD, but I have seen a few really good home-made cockpits build for LevelD's 767. :)
...I'm a bit bemused by that to be honest; it's not as if the FSX Level D 767 is no good, in fact it's one of the best FS add-ons you can buy.I'm not going to complain about another FS add-on airliner showing up of course, but it seems odd that Level D have a 767 and are making a 757, and CS have a 757 and are making a 767. Sure, both real aircraft have a lot of cockpit commonality that would make systems development simpler, but from an FS marketing standpoint it seems to be limiting sales potential.If it were my choice, I'd go for something that would be unique and popular too, such as a 737-200 ADV or an L-1011. PMDG may seem a bit off the wall in going for the MD-11 and the J41, but there is a method to their madness in that respect.
I do agree. LevelD was the first add-on that I purchased and it has been one of the best. It has got me addicted to "pro" level planes in FS. I could say that I could be happy only flying their 767.What I failed to remember was that LevelD was doing a 757, but I think I remember hearing about it and also being confused. I am not sure, but is it the 767 and 757 that have some cockpit similarities or have inhierited some direct design styling? I digress...PMDG did go unique with the MD-11. I'm glad. I'm glad that they tackled a new plane, and I would have liked Captain Sim to have done the same. They should have filled in a gap somewhere. Maybe they could have started a few Pro-Line Airbuses ...I'm just hoping the next PMDG plane is a 777. I like how they polled the public for advice. :)

Looks like PMDG have there hands full so a 777 may be a long way off. I find it hard to beleive that any LVL D owner would want to switch to Captain Sim, no mention of LVLD style complex failures simulated? but I must say whoever designs there Virtual Cockpits is the best in the industry. They would have been better off creating a 777 even I would have bought it.RegardsRob

Rob Prest

Well, first off, Captain Sim does offer a lot of liveries: more on their official site than Level D, and McPhat at that, although unfortunately many were in the Avsim libarary. They have a 767 pilot on their team, and with their 4.3 757 being a real contender now, they might figure they could come out with a new product for their fans that would be a fairly easy move from their 757. And while the LDS 767 is a very fine product, it is nothing to compare visually with what Captain Sim can do both inside and out. A lot of the work is already done. If Captain Sim can smooth out the remaining rough places (consistent cockpit sounds just should not be a problem when every other add-on maker seems to be able to provide them), add a few FPS and come through with a high quality, good looking 767, it would not be a bad thing to have. So it does make sense in some ways.On the other hand, they have to know they are walking into a perfect storm. There are people who already prefer the LDS 757 over the CS 757 and the former is not even in sight yet. Plus, despite it's lackluster graphics (e.g. largely 2-D overhead) the 767 is a very nice airplane on its own terms, and easy on frame rates. I doubt I would be interested in a CS 767 version of the CS 757, any more than I would be in a LDS 757 version of the LDS 767. I like the differences between the approaches by the different companies. It would feel a lot like paying twice for the same airplane, so similar are the 757 and 767. But, like I said, maybe the similarity makes the jump small enough to work economically for them.If I had my way, they would make a really good classic 747, something we've lacked since RFP. The CLS is fine for what it is, and I enjoy it, but Captain Sim has its own style. I would even rather see an improved, FSX version of the 707, or a DC-8 or even an L1011, which looks like an overgrown 727. I think the Captain does classics the best.Well, when it comes out, I'll take a serious look at it. I like Captain Sim's aesthetic values a lot, and I bet they've learned through the 757's early teething problems. I do hope they release it as a final product, though, not this block business. A freighter version would be an attractive option the Level D does not offer.

Very cool news indeed!They present the "Pro" version so I don't believe they will sell blocks.I don't know if they will simulate the the standard FMC system or the latest Honeywell

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest PPSFA

I own the CS 727, 757, and C130, and I will definatly be adding the 767 to the hanger, if for no other reason than to support a developer who is cranking out excellant airplanes for FSX. Yes they have their problems, but what developer doesnt? No one, and I mean no one, does the graphixs better than CS, and watching their current 'support', they seem to have improved substantially. They are getting out fixes in what I consider record time.My 'wishlist' for a next plane is the 787, and I hope that CS is the one that gets it to market first. Personally I wouldnt spit into a snowbank for a Scarebus, from anyone.Tks CS, I'll be waiting for the release!

I like surprises like this. Who even saw this 767 coming? I anticipate the CS 767 will model each engine variants with matching sound, FDE and EICAS displays. I never purchased the LDS 767 and I believe it was on modeled with General Electric engines. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.P&W PW4000-94 63,300 lbf (282 kN)GE CF6-80C2 62,100 lbf (276 kN)RR RB211-524H 59,500 lbf (265 kN)Keith

Keith Guillory

I wonder if LDS will updated the visuals on their 767, to compete? As far as CS 767, I think it looks great.But I personally will never touch a hot pot twice.

Guest Mower

The LDS 767 is great but getting dated and long in the tooth grafically. The CS 767 could be great.I am watching this to see if CS has learned anything from the troubles of their 757.

Hi,I like that, "But I personally will never touch a hot pot twice" and couldn't agree more. Its not so much the style of CS and/or its not the systems ability of their aircraft. Its all the "false statements" from this company that left its customers waiting (years) for nothing with their empty promises.I am one of those individuals waiting on Level-D, and I will wait as long as it takes.

I wonder if LDS will updated the visuals on their 767, to compete? As far as CS 767, I think it looks great.But I personally will never touch a hot pot twice.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Heck, I've decided I'll buy it just for the entertaining forum buzz it's gonna generate.I'm one of those weird people who risk a rip in the space time continuum by installing both the CS 757 and LDS 767 AND the Leonardo Maddog and Coolsky Super 80 Pro on the same computer. They're all very nice airplanes that perform as I expect them to, each offering a different emphasis. Developers have limited time, and choose to spend it in different ways. Captain Sim put 6000 hours into their virtual cockpit. Level D put... their time into other things :-)As for hot potatoes, if you let them cool off before touching them again, you get to enjoy the potato. That's what I do, anyway.People have in mind some perfect airplane that has the graphics of Captain Sim 757, the frame rates of Coolsky's Super 80 Pro, the system depth of Leonardo's Maddog, and the extra service vehicles of CLS's 747. Oh, and at a cost of $40. I'm not knocking any of these, since I own and enjoy them all for what they are. When that perfect airplane comes out, I'll be first in line."People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along?" -- Rodney King, Avid Flight Simmer ("Remember, fellow pilots, 12 hours from bottle to throttle!")

The LDS 767 is great but getting dated and long in the tooth grafically. The CS 767 could be great.I am watching this to see if CS has learned anything from the troubles of their 757.
Well, as has been astutely pointed out, they are coming out with the Pro Line directly, which presumably means no Pokemon Collectible Airplane games anymore. Also, this is a big surprise, so if they're smart they have been quietly developing this for a long time and really do have a product ready to roll out soon. Nothing drives flight simmers up a tree like the phrase "coming soon" if it is not out five minutes after they've read those words. Just ask Level D about when their 757 is coming out ;-D You have to appreciate their dedication to to their current line, which continue to see significant updates.I still would not expect Captain Sim graphics on an LDS system; that's just not they way they roll. I would be surprised if it is significantly different from the 757, and perhaps it is the 757 that has benefitted from the 767 development, with that 4.3 update. But this is just speculation. Maybe they have more surprises up their sleeves.The 757 just got native Navigraph support, so maybe there's tighter integration with Navigraph's procedures. As has been discussed elsewhere on the AVSIM forums, altitude restrictions aren't always followed unless you key them in yourself.By and large, I'm quite happy with the 757. If the same old niggling problems like sound issues and vc night lighting are carried over, then yeah, that would not meet the expectation that things should evolve toward improvement as experience is gained.

I still would not expect Captain Sim graphics on an LDS system; that's just not they way they roll.
You don't have a clue at all and I have :( Cheers,

André