Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lrusso

Sudden FPS drop

Guest Lrusso

Hi I run Flight Simulator FSX SP2. Addons: Fspassengers, World of AI Traffic.My configuration has been normal for the past 3 days with nothing changing. Last night I flew Boston to San Francisco no problem. 25 FPS in Boston, 40-50 in the air, and around 18 FPS in San Francisco. Today I turn on my computer and plan for a short flight from KSFO to KLAX but my fps is 5. I tried different airports, turned off AI traffic, ect. but I can now never get more then 11 FPS. I am doing a defragment now but XP says that the drive does not need defragmenting.Specs: Windows XP Pro NVIDA Geforce 8600M GT 4 GB of RAM (2.8 in XP) Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6Thoughts?

Hi I run Flight Simulator FSX SP2. Addons: Fspassengers, World of AI Traffic.My configuration has been normal for the past 3 days with nothing changing. Last night I flew Boston to San Francisco no problem. 25 FPS in Boston, 40-50 in the air, and around 18 FPS in San Francisco. Today I turn on my computer and plan for a short flight from KSFO to KLAX but my fps is 5. I tried different airports, turned off AI traffic, ect. but I can now never get more then 11 FPS. I am doing a defragment now but XP says that the drive does not need defragmenting.Specs: Windows XP Pro NVIDA Geforce 8600M GT 4 GB of RAM (2.8 in XP) Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6Thoughts?
Hi LrussoWhat defrag program are you using?

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Guest Lrusso
Hi LrussoWhat defrag program are you using?
The default XP defragmenter.

Guest Lrusso

No change after the defragment with either program.

So you are telling me that you downloaded, installed, and ran the defragmentation of your entire hard drive in 2 minutes!!??

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Before doing anything rash - just rt-click your fsx.cfg and make a copy of it - then delete the original. Start FSX and let it rebuild a new .cfg file. It only takes a couple of minutes, and if this doesn't do anything for you - you can always copy it back, but it's often the culprit of many a weird problem.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest Lrusso

Yeah the fragmentation only took like 45 seconds I had it set to fragmented files only should I change that?

Before doing anything rash - just rt-click your fsx.cfg and make a copy of it - then delete the original. Start FSX and let it rebuild a new .cfg file. It only takes a couple of minutes, and if this doesn't do anything for you - you can always copy it back, but it's often the culprit of many a weird problem.
Yeah I i just thought of this before reading your post just tried it. No change except maybe that the FPS jumps to 80 and then back to 5. Could it be a hardware problem? overnight? the fans seem to be spinning fine and the computer is acting as it normally does.

So try a limit of, say 24 fps and see how she behaves..uh.. you don't have an a/v scan going on, do you???

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest Lrusso

I appreciate everyone's help. With the limit set to 24 it holds around 5 FPS. Overall the game is totally different from how it used to be! The tree's have black outlines around them and its just extremely jerky.

I appreciate everyone's help. With the limit set to 24 it holds around 5 FPS. Overall the game is totally different from how it used to be! The tree's have black outlines around them and its just extremely jerky.
OK - so that sounds solidly like a video driver gone and corrupted itself...!!! You can't harm anything, so go ahead and redo - or update the driver.

Try rebooting your computer. this has happened to me on a couple of ocassions and a reboot seemed to do the trick.Andrew Dixon

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Guest Lrusso

No change with the display driver uninstalled and reinstalled.