Sign in to follow this  
strider

Removing the 757 VC?

Since I have the "JustFlight" version of the PSS 757, I do not have the option of using a Non-VC model with some type of panel program that came with the original PSS 757. Not sure why JF chose to remove this option (as I've read here and elsewhere) but, so be it. I will have to do it manually as I never fly with VC in anything but open cockpit or acrobatic aircraft. The PSS 757 is a bit FPS "hungry" (old tech?) and I can certainly guarantee an FPS improvement with the VC disabled...it's worked in many older payware addons. I can live with it at "nowhere regional airport" but, at large airports which I have as addons, it becomes tediously slow. Have any of you done this? I know how to disable the VC with a hex editor but I'm wondering if any of you have replaced the side views (which will disappear when VC is disabled) with some 2D view BMP's? Whose did you use, if so? If any of you have the original PSS 757, I'm wondering if you could share your 2D view BMP's and a copy of your panel.cfg? Also, did you lose taxi and takeoff lighting (when viewed from the cockpit)? I have a few aircraft that lose the taxi and take-off lighting representation when you disable the VC. It shows up fine in any external view, but when you're looking out from the cockpit, there is no lights shining on the tarmac. It has something to do with the lighting being modelled in the .MDL file, as opposed to the "Aircraft.cfg", I believe. Anywho, any help or info on this is appreciated. Vic

Hi Vic,I tried to remove the VC with the Hex editor but lost the side views so I discarded that method. If you want to keep the runway lights look for the second occurrence of 00 22 00 39 00 in the .mdl file, and change the 39 to 38 (not 00). This should kill the VC textures and keep the landing lights coded into the model visible from the 2D flight deck view. The tip was sended to me by a friend and I haven't tried it.Apparently, the latest version has VC textures that are used in the 2d panel so you can't separate them.I did all sorts of tests by renaming the mdl files but I found the best way to gain on FPS was to erase the VC related lines in the panel cfg file. I can fly my PSS 757 decently on my middle end laptop without any problems in the low 20s.Hope this helps

Onur, Thanks for your reply! I did learn the tip about changing the 2nd occurence of that string from 39 to 38, I used to use "00" and found I lost aircraft shadows...I never realized it would also keep my landing lights...I must have never checked that :( . I guess I will have to do it manually, by finding side views and adding them to the panel and "panel.cfg". I've done this with the Wilco 737 PIC (as using the 2D model it provides has no side views, which seems a bit silly?) and the old Ironknuckles DC-9. I found a panel for the CS757, at Avsim, which has the 7 views in BMP, and will attempt a VC disable and addition of these views only, from that file. I will be glad to let you know how it goes and what I had to add to the "panel.cfg" to make it work, if your interested? I've never tried your suggestion of deleting the VC related lines in the panel.cfg...I may resort to that if my "Plan A" doesn't work out. I'm like you...I want side views if I disable the VC in an aircraft. Thanks again, Onur! Vic

Success! Onur, I managed to delete the VC AND add 2D views. The BMP's for the 2D views are all I could find and are NOT that pretty...but it all works. You can see the full sized screenshots at my FTP:http://users.frii.com/viciii3/PSS757_noVC_views/This is a picture, with 100% Traffic, at KDEN. Before disabling the VC my FPS was about 15, as you can see I am now hitting close to my "Lock" of 40 FPS:KDEN_s.jpgHere are the "views" I added to the PSS 757 panel:fsscr018.jpgfsscr019.jpgfsscr020.jpgfsscr021.jpgfsscr022.jpgfsscr023.jpgfsscr024.jpgfsscr025.jpg As I said, they are not the quality that I would prefer...but it is better, for me, than dealing with the FPS hit of an old addon like the PSS 757? It turned out to be pretty simple, as I thought, as I have done this before. If you wish, I will PM you the file name I downloaded (at FlightSim) to get the view BMP's I used, the simple instructions (you already know how to use a Hex editor) and my "panel.cfg". You would, of course, back up any file I suggest changing :( , and try it yourself. My "panel.cfg", that I would send, has only one change...the addition of the 2D views...but you must protect yourself FIRST. BACK UP! Keep in mind that if we can ever find a higher quality set of 2D views, we could easily replace the ones I have used by renaming the BMP's. If you find some, please, let me know.Yours, Vic

Vic, this is AWESOME!!!The bitmaps are not bad at all.Go ahead, shoot me the file name and your cfg. I would certainly love to try it!!!

Onur, I just returned from a week of camping and fishing...give me a bit and I'll PM you! Vic

Onur, I just returned from a week of camping and fishing...give me a bit and I'll PM you! Vic
OK, Vic I got your PM and replied :(

hey Guys,just followed your thread here and found it quite interesting.I also own theJustflight-Version of PSS 757 and I also wished for the option to get rid ofthe VC,since it really eats up my frame rate.Unfortunately I#m not that much of a computer crack.Could you tell me againand a bit more detailed, how I can disable the VC like you did?I understood I need a hex editor,but what exactly do I have to do with it?And Strider if you can send me your changes to panel.cfg regarding to the2d side views,that would be really nice!Thanks already a lot in advance, Corey

Hi Corey,Just open the mdl file with Hex editor, search for 00 22 00 39 00 and change the the 39 to 38 in the 2nd occurence of the string. The Hex editor will also make a back up of the original file.The mdl file is in each variant's model folder.Vic's modifications are very simple, paste the bmps in the main panel folder and add the lines in the panel cfg. I'm sure Vic will post them, if he doesn't, I will later on as I'm not home right now.

Hi Onur!Thank you very much for explaining it again to me.Now I understood perfectly!Have a great day and thank you again.Happy landings,alwaysCorey

Corey, here's what I did:Here is what I did to get the 2D views, with no VC, in the 757 Professional:1. I used a hex editor to disable the VC (I only did 1 Model, as a test. I will now go back and do the rest). I only did the ".MDL" files in each aircraft...the others don't seem to do anything so I deleted them. If you need help using a hex editor let me know.2. From Flightsim, I downloaded file "cs757.zip". It's a complete panel replacement for the CS 757...but I was only interested in the 2D "views".3. I unzipped the "cs757.zip" and copied the following files to "X:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\PSS-B757\panel":"180.BMP""FORWARD_LEFT.bmp""FORWARD_RIGHT.bmp""LEFT.bmp""REAR_LEFT.bmp""REAR_RIGHT.bmp""RIGHT.bmp"4. I BACKED UP(!!) my "panel.cfg", also located in X:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\PSS-B757\panel.5. I altered my "panel.cfg" to show the 2D side views, you can find my new one here:http://users.frii.com/viciii3/panel.cfgYou can compare your original CFG to mine to see what I did. Since the VC is disabled I left all references to VC alone, in the new panel.cfg...none of it will matter.If you have any problems at all, please let me know. Vic

Hi Gang.The link to the panel cfg is dead, so I wondered if someone would post their one instead. Also, which Hex Editor did you use for this. A Link would be fantastic as I'm new to them.Many thanks.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.