Sign in to follow this  
Guest nbquidditch

Controlling AI Traffic!

Guest nbquidditch

Hi Guys, I really enjoy just sitting at certain airports and watching the AI traffic come and go. I use both AI Smooth & AISeperation but both are flawed! With AI Smooth I watch with annoyance as several aircraft move into a holding pattern while absolutely nothing is on approach, baffled at why it will not release a flight for landing! This results in my airport emptying over a period of time while my incoming just circle in frustration before Smooth decides to release!!With AISeperation I think it's a much better tool but you still get several instances were traffic has to go round due to not being seperated correctly.My first thought are the settings of both utilities. My AISeperation is set as follows.Min Seperation (nm) 8Desired Seperation (nm) 10Refresh Rate 5Heading Difference 20No Move Zone (nm) 6reduced Seperation Zone Start 30Has anyone experimented with both Smooth & AIS and come up with the best settings for each utility? If so can you share your findings? Or indeed is there an even better utility out there that some genius has designed?Cheers in advance. :(

Sorry, I have no answer for you. But I wanted to ask..AISepeation is better then SmoothAI? I've always used SmoothAI, thats why I'm asking.

Hi Guys, I really enjoy just sitting at certain airports and watching the AI traffic come and go. I use both AI Smooth & AISeperation but both are flawed! With AI Smooth I watch with annoyance as several aircraft move into a holding pattern while absolutely nothing is on approach, baffled at why it will not release a flight for landing! This results in my airport emptying over a period of time while my incoming just circle in frustration before Smooth decides to release!!With AISeperation I think it's a much better tool but you still get several instances were traffic has to go round due to not being seperated correctly.My first thought are the settings of both utilities. My AISeperation is set as follows.Min Seperation (nm) 8Desired Seperation (nm) 10Refresh Rate 5Heading Difference 20No Move Zone (nm) 6reduced Seperation Zone Start 30Has anyone experimented with both Smooth & AIS and come up with the best settings for each utility? If so can you share your findings? Or indeed is there an even better utility out there that some genius has designed?Cheers in advance. :(
Here is a tutorial on using both at the same time. I don't remember the author's name and it doesn't appear in the text. But there is an email address at the end. I don't know if it is still valid as I downloaded it in Oct. of 2008. Hope it helps. I'm posting the entire text here.Jim D.Making AI Separation Recognizing User's AircraftIncl.: Tipps 'n' Tricks To Make Ai Separation More Effectiv (look for file Tipp's 'n' Tricks's in this Folder)Before reading this I highly recommend to read my other file in this folder called "Tipp's 'n' Tricks"!Introduction:Well, it is a neverending Story in the History of the MS Flight Simulator, at least since FS2002. I am talking about the AI Traffic Management. Of course, AI Traffic makes our FS very lifely and more realistical but their is one thing that bothers almost everybody: The Traffic Jam.In 2003 a programm was invented, called Ai Smooth. It was the first AI Traffic Management Tool. It made and makes a great Job but it has some disadvantages.In 2005 a second programm entered the Simmarked, it's called "AI Separation".For many users AI Separation is the better Tool to make the Traffic more "clean".Unfortunately AI Separation got a huge disadvantage:It does NOT recgonize user's aircraft!Althoug it's attention is payed entirely to the AI Traffic it is very bothering for our own flight that AI Separation does not pay attention to user's aircraft.As I do not like AI Smooth at all I still used AI Separation although I had to find my way down to the Runway through all this traffic crossing my way.During some of my longer FS real time flights I had some time to think about how to make AI Separation will pay attention to user's aircraft and not only to AI Traffic.Well, the answer how to do it is short:It is not possible!BUT:I found a way for users like me who do not want to use AI Smooth but want to have Traffic Management that pays also attention to user's aircraft.I tested my idea and it is working well.Perhaps my idea sounds unusal and weird to you but give it a try, it's working!The Manual:What Do You Need?- AI Separation Version 1.1 (available at avsim.com)- AI Smooth V111 (available at avsim.com)- 10 - 20 minutes of your timeThe main idea is to use both programms at the same time when using FS2002 / FS2004 or FSX.Now you will say "STOP!, No way, This will end in an error in one of the programms!"I have to say, No it does not, at least during my tests. You only have to pay attention that both programms do not conflict with each others advices for AI Traffic and this is the solution!You have to configure AI Smooth and AI Separation in a way that both programms do not conflict with each other. Making this is possible without getting Traffic conflicts, just follow my manual.!This Manual is for AI Separation Users ONLY!1. Stop all programms running on your System. Do not open Flight Simulator2. Open both programms, AI Smooth as well as AI Separation3. Minimize both programms in size so that both programms are visible on your screen at the same time.4. Now you make your desired settings in AI Separation. Make the setting you are usally using. (I recommend reading my Tipp's 'n' Trick's file first!!!)Now we start to configure AI Smooth in a way that users aircraft get's recognized without getting AI Smooth in conflict with AI Separation1. Please have a watch to the AI Separation Setting "Minimum Separation" 2. Now go to the AI Smooth Setting "Distance of AI aircraft to landing aircraft" Change the value to a lower one than "Minimum Separation" in the AI Separation SettingMy private settings:AI Sep.: Minimum Separation 6AI Smo.: Dis. of aircr. to. 5.0000003. Take the AI Separation Settings and put a value of your wish into the "Desired Separation" sectionMy private setting: 84. Now the most important thing. Go to the AI Smooth Setting called "Distance of user aircraft to landing aircraft" This setting is responsible that AI Smooth will recognize your plane. Please set a value of your choice. Recommended is 5.000000 and this is also my setting.5. Next to the AI Smooth Setting "Heading range For intercept". Please put Value 1 (for 1

AI Separation skews traffic into various positions at a very fast unrealistic rate. This can sometimes be visual from the cockpit and also to me is annoying looking at the TCAS targets on the ND or TCAS display unit.AI Smooth moves (skews) traffic slowly into holding patterns. It can be set to respond to your aircraft or not. I don't set that to respond since if you are traffic spotting from a position close to the runway it could lock out arriving aircraft. I just space them out when they are on approach so I can squeeze in. It also can reduce the size of AI takeoff queues especially with the mad initial rush of AI when activating a flight as they strive to catch up to their schedule. Arriving AI also initially can come in a cluster. Arriving AI holding can be dense and do not operate first-in first-out if that matters.Here's my settings:Distance of AI aircraft to landing aircraft [NM] 3.000000Distance of user aircraft to landing aircraft [NM] 5.000000Heading range for intercept [

Guest nbquidditch

Wow guys, as usual you've excelled in your response :( I've played around with both using all your suggestions and am currently on test. The early results are very encouraging. I'm using Dublin EDIW which is a surprisingly busy airport!!Cheers Fox