Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Active Sky 6.5

I have a new computer with FS2004 on it and I just now purchased and installed Active Sky 6.5. For years I used AS V. I'm not sure which is the CORRECT way to use AS 6.5. Maybe some of you old hands with it could straighten me out.1. Do you start it BEFORE or AFTER starting FS2004?2. Once it loads do you "minimize" it or do you "close" it ?3. If you use one of the "random" cloud programs, do you have to "reload it" before each and every FS2004 flight?4. What happens if you load one of the cloud programs once and do NOT call up AS 6.5 on future flights? Will it keep using the last selected set of clouds all of the time?Thanks, jerrycwo4

Hi,I'll answer here but just so this thread doesn't get too long. If you have further questions, please post in our forum.1. You start AS before FS.2. AS must stay running, so minimized.3. If you mean the cloud program, no. Once you install textures into FS, they stay installed until you install new ones. Always make sure FS is closed while doing this.4. That is correct, but without starting AS you will not get real time weather.Thanks!

The order of applications depends on add-ons used, etc. There really is no one way but several correct ways. I use the fsbuild v 2.3.7 which connects to the AS 65 snapshot of weather for flight planning including fuel consumption. I also use Radar Contact 4.3 for ATC. These influence my startup order. Here's my recommended procedure:I first start AS 65. I download weather usually as an archive based on the current date but adjusted for the zulu flight time of the saved FS parking location and status I'm loading. I know approximately what time that will be based on location and the fact that I usually save flights around local noon to 14:00. The reason is that weather characteristics do change according to time of day such as thermals, convective storms, effects of the sun strength on winds aloft and jet-stream, surface temperatures affecting visibilility, etc., of which AS 65 all produces effects very well.I now create my flight plan in FSB, save it in FS format, and load the plan into AS65 and process it. I then print in AS65 the full AS navlog since it contains data for the environment used by possibly an FMC. I then load in FSB the aircraft performance profile (approximate). I rebuild the plan in FSB (exporting to FS9 and the FMC format if needed) since the weather data has now been optimized in AS 65, then print its navlog which includes fuel planning, leg times, etc. I then close FSB.I now load the saved parking situation in FS. All FS saved flights have been set to the clear weather theme and FS dynamic weather off as prep for AS 65 manipulation. I alt-tab to AS, which I have as an option auto-refresh on FS start off, and click the Refresh button. When the weather writes are complete I wait a coupled of minutes and then in AS click the AI refresh button. I found that this immediately updates the FS ATIS and restarts the AI (which has already been started for the not current weather) so they use the correct active runways for take-off and landing.Since the weather is now complete and updated I do FMC work entering the plan (importing if available) setting surface data for take-off and winds aloft for fuel planning by the FMC, adjust fuel, etc., on the aircraft. I then load Radar Contact, load the flight plan, and start it. RC also now will choose the correct runway based on AI use (if present) or best runway based on runway properties and winds. RC delivered ATIS should now match the surface METAR reported in your AS 65 navlog. Knowing the runway in the FMC I can modify in the FMC anticipated runway if needed and the weather provides the correct V Speeds.I then proceed with the flight getting clearance delivery, taxi instructions to the active runway, etc.Now this is lengthy because I explained the reasoning behind my procedure order. It takes longer to read this than actually do it and I'll let you write your own summary based on the aircraft and planners you use.As a side note there are other third party flight planners that connect directly to AS65 for aircraft fueling and performance planning. It is handy to have that feature.

1. You start AS before FS.
[snip]I don't really think that is the best way. The problem I find with that is that it doesn't automatically know where in the world you are.I load it after I have selected my starting location in FS - this ensures that it loads the local weather for the start of the flight. Even then still takes a little while to download the weather and display it but if you take as long planning your route as I do you won't notice. On the other hand I do find that if you load weather for the wrong location, it often doesn't seem to want to recognise a changed decision for a considerable time. I often find it quicker to shut down and restart Active Sky.Finally, you may find the downloading of real weather has changed the runways in use causing AI confusion. The prescribed way to tidy this up is the use the Refresh AI button but I find if you use one of the "real time" correcting utilities to compensate for the time taken planning the flight it will do the same job.I'm sure there are many other ways to load up, but that's the way I find the most straightforward and efficient. But do what suits your way of using Flight Simulator best.Kindest regards,John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Briefly:When you hit the Refresh (not Refresh AI) it gets your current starting location. Prior to AS 65, loading the flightplan gave better performance along the route. I believe it is not as necessary now but I use the navlog in the flightplan processing to get winds/temperatures aloft for FMC environment data entry such as winds and temp at cruise level.AS weather real time or otherwise are global fetches I believe, bot just where you are.

Hi John,Thanks, but that is the best way because you can still load textures that way.Also, even if you just enter a basic flightplan by hand AS can process the weather.If you start FS and AS doesn't immediately recognize your current location, just click on the Refresh button.Thanks,

Hi John,Thanks, but that is the best way because you can still load textures that way.Also, even if you just enter a basic flightplan by hand AS can process the weather.If you start FS and AS doesn't immediately recognize your current location, just click on the Refresh button.Thanks,
Yes, of course, I was forgetting some users will want to change cloud textures, it is essential to load first for that. I never use them myself and assumed that those who do will generally stick to whatever set they have adopted as their favourite.But aside of that, "just entering a basic flight plan" is unnecessary by my method, it is one step less. The less you need to do when starting FS the better, in my mind. Noted the use of the Refresh button but it so often doesn't respond (same for other buttons) if it is busy downloading weather for another location. I just find my method the slickest way to start up and have not experienced any problems working that way.But as I said, "do what suits your way of using Flight Simulator best."John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Thanks to all of you for the time and effort to explain your personal method (s). Just to read them really blows my mind! Seems very, very complex to me. I did look thru the manuel ( did not ready evey word) looking for answers to my questions but I'll have to take the info that all of you gave me and devise my own proceedure. Thanks again for your effort. jerrycwo4

John, AS always detects your proper current location weather you start it before or after fs. When start before, I made load the default location first, but will quickly load the closest weather station within a few seconds. You do not have to refresh the weather itself and the download loads all weather stations.

Yes, of course, I was forgetting some users will want to change cloud textures, it is essential to load first for that. I never use them myself and assumed that those who do will generally stick to whatever set they have adopted as their favourite.But aside of that, "just entering a basic flight plan" is unnecessary by my method, it is one step less. The less you need to do when starting FS the better, in my mind. Noted the use of the Refresh button but it so often doesn't respond (same for other buttons) if it is busy downloading weather for another location. I just find my method the slickest way to start up and have not experienced any problems working that way.But as I said, "do what suits your way of using Flight Simulator best."John
You think that's bad? Check this out :1. Flight Environment randomizer (for clouds)2. Load AS 6.5 and update weather.3. FSBuild, build flight plan.4. Load flight plan into AS.5. Depending on the aircraft, might have to use load manager (especially with PMDG MD-11).6. GEPro (using AS info)7. AlacrityPC to start FS9.8. Once FS has started with weather and default Cessna at departure location, select aircraft.9. Start Radar Contact and load flight plan.10. Start FSNav and load flightplan.11. Set up aircraft.12 . Go flying! :( At least with GA, I can skip a few steps! Cheers, SLuggy