Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

737 NG Autoland and Speedbrake Deployment?

After a very long break, I am re-learning the 737 NG in FS2004 and find that while she autolands beautifully every time, the speedbrake rarely ever deploys on touchdown of the mains. After some testing I have concluded that the reason for this could be that during an autoland, N1 only spools down to around 40% by the time the mains kiss the ground and as a result the speedbrake sensor is not triggered because the engine is still considered to be "flying". In contrast, if I do a hand landing and pull back N1 at 30' AGL to the idle stop, N1 is at 30% or 28% by mains touchdown and the speedbrakes then deploy right away. Is my observation correct and is that in fact how speedbrakes are supposed to deploy on touchdown on this a/c?Thanks!Jonathan

The NGs A/T is supposed to retard throttles to idle, but I usually hit F1 myself at 30-50ft as a prep for the F2 for reverse when mains are on.

Dan Downs KCRP

After a very long break, I am re-learning the 737 NG in FS2004 and find that while she autolands beautifully every time, the speedbrake rarely ever deploys on touchdown of the mains. After some testing I have concluded that the reason for this could be that during an autoland, N1 only spools down to around 40% by the time the mains kiss the ground and as a result the speedbrake sensor is not triggered because the engine is still considered to be "flying". In contrast, if I do a hand landing and pull back N1 at 30' AGL to the idle stop, N1 is at 30% or 28% by mains touchdown and the speedbrakes then deploy right away. Is my observation correct and is that in fact how speedbrakes are supposed to deploy on touchdown on this a/c?Thanks!Jonathan
Make sure you throttle is at idle even in autoland.

Well, sure, but that's the heart of this particular problem: how do you get autothrottle to get to idle by T/D? Almost every autoland carries some power on touchdown so there is mostly no auto deployment of speedbrakes. Jonathan

This same problem is driving me up the wall :( . I have disabled joysticks/throttles with the same result . It happens every time with the 737 sometimes with the MD-11 and never with the 747 or LDS767. I use FS9 ,a registered copy of FSUIPC, CH yoke, T/Q, and rudder pedals.

This same problem is driving me up the wall :( . I have disabled joysticks/throttles with the same result . It happens every time with the 737 sometimes with the MD-11 and never with the 747 or LDS767. I use FS9 ,a registered copy of FSUIPC, CH yoke, T/Q, and rudder pedals.
I am sure your rig and config is just fine. I use the same stuff as you with many pieces of additional GoFlight hardware and it's all worked great for years. Maybe it's just a glitch in the programming or design of the autoland system for this specific aircraft? It is frustrating, for sure, but the only workaround I can see for this is to not arm the speedbrakes during an autoland approach and then to pull the lever back manually on touchdown. Not as realistic, but does work. Alternatively, do a hand fly approach, arm the speedbrakes, throttle to idle position by 30' AGL and that works too. Jonathan

It's weird because it worked back when I used a saitek x52 system w/ saitek software and no FSUIPC. I'm to the point now where I have keyboard imprints in my forehead from banging my head against the desk. :(I don't think it's the programming of the 737; I think it's just something isn't right with my cocktail of controllers and software. I can't get the auto spoilers to deploy even if I fly in manually (which is how I land unless the visibility is crap). I even went to idle at 500' AGL just as a test and it still didn't deploy. As for the MD-11, it happens often but it's so intermittent that I'm having issues troubleshooting it.

You must make sure your joystick throttle is positioned at idle even in autoland. You must also make sure that the throttle axis is generating the lowest value at idle. I have a CH Yoke and Quad and get deployment and brakes every time. Dan, make sure your using the latest CH manager and you have used the program to calibrate. I had a bunch a problems with previous versions of CH manager as well as trying to use default MS drivers.

You must make sure your joystick throttle is positioned at idle even in autoland. You must also make sure that the throttle axis is generating the lowest value at idle. I have a CH Yoke and Quad and get deployment and brakes every time. Dan, make sure your using the latest CH manager and you have used the program to calibrate. I had a bunch a problems with previous versions of CH manager as well as trying to use default MS drivers.
I have triple checked the CH throttle levers and they are ALWAYS at the idle detent. I move them prior to final to ensure they are at idle. It doesn't help. This has definitely got something to do with the N1 being still spooled up above idle by touchdown. It's not a hardware issue. The CH Manager is not necessary for FS2004 under Windows XP, CH has told me this at least twice.Jonathan

George,I don't use the CH Manager software as I use FSUIPC. I've re-calibrated my T/Q a few times to try to isolate it, thinking that maybe the throttles weren't going to idle completely. I've increased the dead zones, filtering, max/min positions, etc. I even disabled the spoiler axis in FSUIPC and let FS9 have a go at it to no avail.During landing (auto or manual) the spoilers don't even attempt to move in the 737. In the MD-11 I can here the lever deploy but then it snaps back to the stowed position and the co-pilot calls out "no spoilers". Auto spoiler fails:-100% of the time in the 737-80% with the MD-11-Always works normally with the 747-400/747400F and the LDS 767.I can't speak for the 737 but the auto spoiler on the MD-11 worked flawlessly before my last reload of Windows. The only thing that's different from the last reload of Windows is an upgrade to my proccessor, ram, and motherboard. I appreciate the suggestions.

Did you check out gaming options calibration since you upgraded/reloaded windows and put in a new mobo?

-------------------------snip---------------------Auto spoiler fails:-100% of the time in the 737-80% with the MD-11-Always works normally with the 747-400/747400F and the LDS 767.I can't speak for the 737 but the auto spoiler on the MD-11 worked flawlessly before my last reload of Windows. The only thing that's different from the last reload of Windows is an upgrade to my proccessor, ram, and motherboard. I appreciate the suggestions.

I think you guys have narrowed it down away from the plane and more to the computer, but for those who are interested (like me):During landing, the Automatic Speed Brake System operates when theseconditions occur:

Matt Cee

Dan:So you don't get ANY speedbrake deployment even flying manually? That really is weird. I always get deployment hand flying with the s/brake armed. When I touchdown, the N1 has spooled down to 30% or below and the deployment is normal and reliable. No such luck with autoland.It can't be the PC or my hardware because I always get normal speedbrake deployment with the LDS 767 and the PMDG 747-400 and the PSS 777 ! So there must be a glitch in the programming or coding of the 737 NG with regard to this particular function.I am not going to break my head over this. I am intrigued to learn however that others have a similar issue with an otherwise excellent commercial add-on that has given years of pleasure.Jonathan

I'll try the calibration in windows (I can't believe I forgot about that). My uninstalled my 737 recently but after the calibration I'll run flights with the MD-11 and see it it has improved. Thanks for the help.

Just did a flight from KSFO to KLAX with the MD-11 and the spoilers didn't deploy again. I calibrated them through Windows as per suggestions. I hand flew the last five miles of the approach into RWY 24L and retarded the throttles at 100' AGL. It's driving me crazy; all I did was reload my O/S and all my software after a mobo and processor upgrade.