Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

O&O Defrag special for simmers...

Guest Nick_N

This was posted as a special offer for those who do not use O&O Defrag or wish to upgrade their version (either way) for 19.95This is not meant to be spam .. its a legitimate offer and a good price for the software which I have absolutely no ties to financially or otherwise=========================Hi guys,My name is Andreas Blaeser, I am working with O&O Software. I want to thank Nick, that he brought the problems with O&O Defrag 10 Pro to our attention. That was a great help to make O&O Defrag even better.It's been quite a while since I found the time to visit simviation.com, but I can see that the link to our expired special offer for O&O Defrag 8.6 + O&O Defrag 10 is still in use. I would therefore like to give all simviation members (or other sim users) who are still using O&O Defrag 10 Professional Edition, or who are not using O&O Defrag at all, the opportunity to buy O&O Defrag 11 Professional Edition at a special price, to get the maximum out of their FSX machine.That special offer is: O&O Defrag 11 Professional Edition for US$19.95 (instead of 49.95). The offer is valid until August 31st, 2009.Please use the following link to purchase the special offer:https://shop.oo-software.com/36/uurl-be5zv494tzThank you all for your kind words about O&O Software.Take care and many happy landings.Andreas BlaeserE-Commerce ManagerO&O Software, Berlin, Germany ============================================

Guest UlfB

Hi Nick,I might add that I received an email from O&O today offering me "O&O Defrag 12 exclusive pre-sale offer - 50% off the full price!". This new version has a new defragmentation method called "Zone Filing", which is "for ultimate organization of your files". Looks like you could place all FSX files on the outer hard disk tracks to decrease access time.I received this email as an owner of a O&O 11 license.

Bought it, although I must profess I have no idea how to use it LOL. I read the help file and started with the recommended setting which was the "space" setting. Can either of you provide an "FS enthusiast" the best way to use this program? Proper settings etc.?My specs are in my sig. Currently FSX is installed on the on the AMD machine, with FSX on the 2x Seagate Raid partition . Vista 64 is on the Raptor. This is a fairly recent install of Vista and FSX. Thanks, Larry

Guest UlfB

Hi,I'd recommend your to defrag your FSX drive with the Complete/Name method. I defrag all my drives with this method.

I first defrag with space, then I defrag a couple of times with NAME. I read somewhere that is the best way and that's what I have been doing.

GuysJust interested, does ANYONE have CONCRETE FACT that using one of these (or this particular one) defrag programs is really as essential as it is claimed to be?During my seven years of flight sim I've seen so much misinformation and snake oil around the forums that I no longer bother with anything vague, especially if it costs money like this one. If the result is you gain a 0,1% performance increase, what's the use? Well who said the performance increase is just that much? That's right, no one has in fact said anything.I don't mean this with any disrespect especially toward the very reputable topic starter, I love NickN's FSX guide and just set up my system using it, but just saying "the Windows defrag program is useless, O&O is so much better" is not really concrete. A hundred users posting detailed reports on the forum saying their i7-975 system can finally run FSX effortlessly, well that is concrete to the extreme.Why is the Windows program "useless"? I've used it for years and never had any problems?What I'd like to see is some before - after comparisons complete with system / software specifications and screenshots.

Thesis:It is a improvement defraging with O&O, not the default programFact:1. Complete/name defrag in O&O puts ALL files at the beginning of HDD.2. First sector of HDD is ~30-40% faster than the last on particular driveThus You know, it is an improvement. Not that big, but it definitively is! You should notice less blurries, or get ride of them faster (according to fragmented drive).I can see the difference in loading times also. Not big, but few secs after every plane change.

Jet1 - Sorry I don't have the links handy, perhaps NickN has them but there have been several threads on this topic in which Nick posted data relating to the order in which the files were defragged and the fact that many defrag programs leave spaces between files after they're done. It was concrete info not snake oil.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

As I type here at work, my home PC is using O&O to run a SPACE defrag, then I'll reboot the PC tonight and run an offline SPACE defrag followed lastly by a COMPLETE/NAME defrag. Two SPACE defrags followed by a COMPLETE/NAME defrag, I think that is Nick suggested.

Cool! If I didn't already have Ultimate Defrag, which does the same thing, I'd spring for this one.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest AVN8tr

It is nothing but snake oil... if a texture doesn't load it's not because the hard drive wasn't fast enough, it's because there was no RAM to spare... :) But it will help in the initial load. I use Perfect Disk.. it's about a million times faster than O&O....especially after the first run.

Thanks for the help all. Worked like a charm :) I bought 2 licenses, one for each PC :)Larry

Guest djt01
It is nothing but snake oil... if a texture doesn't load it's not because the hard drive wasn't fast enough, it's because there was no RAM to spare... :) But it will help in the initial load. I use Perfect Disk.. it's about a million times faster than O&O....especially after the first run.
Wow, more great information from AVSIM