Sign in to follow this  
L_Fassam

FS9 anti aliasing settings Nvidia GTX285

Dear All,Am looking for a little bit of guideance here with my new system and am looking for a little bit of guideance.Was running FS9 on an older 2GB single card ATI system to pretty good effect. Earlier this week I took delivery of a i7, 12GB GTW285 dual card system with the hopes my sim would run like a dream.My expectations are not being met. The frame rates and stability are much much better than what I was getting.However, anti aliaising is my issue. I see lots of lovely jagged edges that I was not seeing in the previous sim set up. Have tried all the settings within FS9 i.e. turn off AA etc. It is my graphic card settings that I am struggling with and can not get them right. Have tried nHancer but to no reall great effect.If anyone has any tips or hints with AA and Nvidia cards I would relly appreciate them

Dear All,Am looking for a little bit of guideance here with my new system and am looking for a little bit of guideance.Was running FS9 on an older 2GB single card ATI system to pretty good effect. Earlier this week I took delivery of a i7, 12GB GTW285 dual card system with the hopes my sim would run like a dream.My expectations are not being met. The frame rates and stability are much much better than what I was getting.However, anti aliaising is my issue. I see lots of lovely jagged edges that I was not seeing in the previous sim set up. Have tried all the settings within FS9 i.e. turn off AA etc. It is my graphic card settings that I am struggling with and can not get them right. Have tried nHancer but to no reall great effect.If anyone has any tips or hints with AA and Nvidia cards I would relly appreciate them
With a GTX 285 card you should be able to run 16xs AA with SuperSampling enabled for Transparency AA. I reccomend the 182.50 drivers. Also, try setting your GLOBAL settings in NHancer to the same as your profile settings. Oh yeah, make sure you have disabled AA in the sim, unchecked the enhance-in game AA setting in Nhancer and set the following in Nhancer:Like I said, I set these in both Global and Profile:Main PageAA-------16xSGamma CorrectionSuper-Transparency AAAF---------16xI have VSync at Application otherwise I get tearingOptimizations TabTexture filtering-------HighTrilinear-----OffAniso Sample Optimization---OffNegative LOD Bias---------ClampAdjust LOD Bias------------ -0.500 (sharpens things just a bit)Force DXT3---- Off Pre-Render----3Compatability TabForce Mip Maps----TrilinearHDR-------OIffCPU Multi Core Support--- Single CoreEverything else is default...Hope that helps,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Paul,Thank you sir for the speedy response. I will try out these settings this afternoon and will be sure to let you know how I get on.TaLiam

The most important thing to do in Nhancer is to disable the default profile for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. Simply select that profile and remove the file association it has (fs9.exe).Then create a new profile, call it FS9 for example. Associate fs9.exe to it and make all the settings descibed in the earlier post. It is recommended to set the global profile the same, but I don't know know if that'sreally necessary.16xS AA might be a bit too much in heavy clouds though, I use 8xS with great results.That should do it!Oh, and a little tip if you use Vista or Windows 7... Set CPU multi core support to multi core. The video drivers will utilize multi cores better in Vista and Windows 7. Start task manager while flying and see for yourself.

Hi Chaps,Applied those settings as described and changed Global and Profile to match each other. The Anti aliasing on the aircraft and close uo objects is ok but it is further away it looks rough. I am also getting this strange shape chaning (am assuming it is what others are calling shimmering) when I move views or the aircraft.It is almost feels like which ever settings I make to the card they are not being replicated in the sim.

The most important thing to do in Nhancer is to disable the default profile for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. Simply select that profile and remove the file association it has (fs9.exe).Then create a new profile, call it FS9 for example. Associate fs9.exe to it and make all the settings descibed in the earlier post. It is recommended to set the global profile the same, but I don't know know if that'sreally necessary.16xS AA might be a bit too much in heavy clouds though, I use 8xS with great results.That should do it!Oh, and a little tip if you use Vista or Windows 7... Set CPU multi core support to multi core. The video drivers will utilize multi cores better in Vista and Windows 7. Start task manager while flying and see for yourself.
Do you find at 8xS you get a lot of shimmering, especially over water when the wave effect happens? I always do which is why I use 16xS because there is no shimmering in the sim at all. I just tried your suggestion of deleting the FS9.exe and creating a new profile so I will see if that helps...Thanks,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Do you detect actual changes when changing the enhancer profile or no? Then we know that atleast you have setup the profile correctly (ie, there should be a major different in app AA and 8X AA when set in enhancer).Also, the amount of shimmer present is subjective but i'll tell you I still get a fair amount of shimmer, esp around add-on airports with my 512mb 8800gts no matter what settings i choose. I've always believed nvidia cards just resulted in my shimmer then ATI, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you detect actual changes when changing the enhancer profile or no? Then we know that atleast you have setup the profile correctly (ie, there should be a major different in app AA and 8X AA when set in enhancer).Also, the amount of shimmer present is subjective but i'll tell you I still get a fair amount of shimmer, esp around add-on airports with my 512mb 8800gts no matter what settings i choose. I've always believed nvidia cards just resulted in my shimmer then ATI, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Personally, I know with 16xS I get no shimmers at all, I am trying the suggestion above of deleting the original .exe from the stock profile and configuring a new one with 8xS now and I already see a noticeable difference between the two. With the GTX285 I can run 16xS with performance still locked at 40 FPS dipping down to 28-29 at places like KEWR so the performance hit is acceptable although 8xS seems smoother. Running 16xS was impossible with my 8800GTX cards though...I need to figure out which has the best balance of IQ/Performance for me, 8xS or 16xS but I think 16 :( -Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I just posted a "How to use Nhancer" tutorial in the Tutorials section (top of the page) as I thought it's about time there was one :( It's complete with screenshots and should be quite easy to follow.

Dear Neumanix (could not see real name)Thank you very much for the tutorial. After following your step by step guide coupled with Pauls settings my sim now looks bloody perfect!between yourselves, you have made one middle aged wanna be pilot who got stuck in the logistics business and is over weight chap very happy ;-) LOLThank you and I recomend this tutorial for Nvidia users who like me are not technologically minded......thanks once again chaps for your help.

GentlemenI have been following this thread with great interest and have applied the settings in Nhancer as suggested. I have to say everything looks great, the best I've ever had it. Here is the catch, every time I try to load a PMDG 737, (any series), I get a CTD. All other aircraft seem to be fine inc 747, MD11. Any thoughts please.Best regardsMalcolm "Rooster" Hancock

Malcolm Hancock

GentlemenProblem solved. Did a re-install of all PMDG's. I am so pleased with the end result everything looks so good. Thanks for the Nhancer tutorial, it certainly worked for me!Best regardsMalcolm "Rooster" Hancock

Malcolm Hancock

Hi All.Well, this thread is as good as the other one I started a few days ago, and it seems to have attracted the same faces in this one here too.This is great because it shows how willing we all are to try and help each other, what a refreshing change this is compared to some hobby's.Anyway, the reason I joined this one is to say a big thank you to psolk and neumanix again for their help, and to neumanix for making that splendid tutorial for nHancer.Guy's, I now have FS9.1 looking wonderful again. I have not tried it on higher than 8xs in nHancer, but might do just to see what happens.I have kept my 190 driver version, and have installed the latest Beta version of nHancer which seems to have made a very noticeable difference.The only thing left now is a small rather annoying issue with the ground scenery display coming in to view.I am trying to get it to load slightly faster, and to be more "in focus" that it is right now. I use a registered latest version of FSUIPC, and have set the display / sight distance to 55nm.I know for example, than one of the two sets of figures below alter this scenery display thingie, as I have had it set before, but I just can't for the life of me remember which one it is that sets the scenery focus range. Here are the two sets of figures that I am referring to.TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000 < Not sure if it is one of these threeTERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.90000 < or if it is one of these three insteadTERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4Any thoughts would be very welcome guy's.Thanks again all.

The shimmering effect can be got rid off by upping the anisotropic filtering settings.Vololiberista
Not that easy Vololiberista, I am guessing every single person who is complaining of shimmering is already running 16X AF yet still sees horrible shimmering... Also, it is much more pronounced at different levels of AA not AF and upping the AA to 16xS will virtually eliminate any shimmering and all the while AF hasn't changed from 16X. So while in theory you are correct, in practice it just isn't working like that. It is almost like we have to crank up the AA to make up for the lack of proper AF...-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk