Sign in to follow this  
Lonepilot

Boeing 73XNG FLAP position 2

Hi Captains!Well, I've searched many sites, including the technical site http://www.b737.org.uk/ but did not have a practical explanation about the FLAP 2 Position on the 737's.I see that flap 2 pos. is seldom used, according to flight/tech. videos. 1st FLAP1 then FLAP5 according to TO and LDG procedures.So anyone can explain me or point me some info/site with the explanation of FLAP2 position? Is it for NON-NORMAL procedures when operating with ALTN FLAP system?Many thanks in advance.Best regards from Portugal :(

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

I'm not a 737 expert, based on my scant knowledge Flaps2 is only used as an intermediate stop between Flaps5 and flaps up on takeoff where the flaps are retracted on a schedule indicated on the speed tape, or extended on schedule for approach. Normal takeoffs are Flaps5, under certain conditions Flaps10, but I don't know of any procedure that calls for Flaps2.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Pedro,I am not an expert either but, you're right : Flap 2 is either not mentioned at all or mentioned as "rarely used" in the available documentation. And as you mention correctly, Flap 1 is the fist step in the sequence, not Flap 5 (ie you go from flaps up to flap 1 and then flap 5). Dan will probably blame his failing memory but I think the truth is he spends too much time in the J41 ! :( Since there are quite a few real 737 drivers in this forum, I hope someone knowlegeable can expand on the topic.Bruno

Hi Pedro,I am not an expert either but, you're right : Flap 2 is either not mentioned at all or mentioned as "rarely used" in the available documentation. And as you mention correctly, Flap 1 is the fist step in the sequence, not Flap 5 (ie you go from flaps up to flap 1 and then flap 5). Dan will probably blame his failing memory but I think the truth is he spends too much time in the J41 ! :( Since there are quite a few real 737 drivers in this forum, I hope someone knowlegeable can expand on the topic.Bruno
On approach, I use this quick and easy-to-remember rule (of my own) that suits very well a wide range of landing weights for the 737:SPEED --- FLAPS POSITION205 ---------- 1195 ---------- 2185 ---------- 5175 ---------- 10165 ---------- 15 And gear down.155 ---------- 25145 ---------- 30 Normal landing flaps.135 ---------- 40 (short and wet runway). Caution: tends to make the aircraft float.

From the Classic and on, I've heard of using Flaps 2 on approach. This was only to annoy other pilots you didn't like - just to throw them a little curveball.But, I believe F2 is a hold-over from the "Jurassic" models (-100/-200). There was some benefit to using F2 on a mid-length runway with a obstacle in the 3rd or 4th stage.

Matt Cee

Dan will probably blame his failing memory but I think the truth is he spends too much time in the J41 !
Truth is, I'm spending too much time on sidstar procedures. My wording was not accurate, my recall was perfect :)

Dan Downs KCRP

From the Classic and on, I've heard of using Flaps 2 on approach. This was only to annoy other pilots you didn't like - just to throw them a little curveball.But, I believe F2 is a hold-over from the "Jurassic" models (-100/-200). There was some benefit to using F2 on a mid-length runway with a obstacle in the 3rd or 4th stage.
Hello again Captains!Well, I guess that are valid explanations. Thanks again and best regards :(

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

Just to finish the post, sadly I have never had the chance to be on a working real 737NG. I was inside a 734 in maintenance though. eheheAvailing the animations in the PMDG 73XNG, going from FLAP1 (krueger inboard flaps extends and 1st stage of outboard slats(?) ) to FLAP2, there is no motion.The motion continues in FLAP5 with 2nd stage of slats and 1st stage of TE FLAPS.Best regards and happy landings! :(

Pedro Lima
My videos