Sign in to follow this  
Bentree

The JS41 just isn't going to start

Hello,I have spent more then 25 hours now, and to be specific more then 10 hours sitting behind the PC and try to actually start the engines.I have read the manuals, followed the tutorial, watched and followed the YouTube video about starting and shut down the JS41 engines, watched and followed the tutorial video, loaded a flight with the JS42 with running engines....shut them down properly (like is written in the manuals and video)after cooling down the EGT started the JS42 properly..... but nothing seem to help.It actually started once.....that was after that i started up FSX with a default Cessna and then loaded the JS41 Tutorial flight.After that i followed this procedure again and again, but it never started anymore.......It must be some kind of problem in my FSX or a programming issue in the JS42.....but i am out of resources and am quitting this JS42when there is no solution for me.To my great regret though, because i would really love to fly this aircraft.It is not that i am a beginner, i use FS for more then 17 years now and i fly in RL for 18 years (no JS42) so you can assume that idid investigate possible faults in my procedures approaching this JS42.It really must be something in the sim or the JS42 software.Maybe anybody is suffering the same problem?Any tips?Any feedback is realy appreciated.regards,Ben

While some have problem getting the engines started, none have claimed to be unsuccessful.Maybe you are missing something, and you keep on trying not knowing what you are missing.What usually happens? RPMs never increase or engines burn up?

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello Dan,Thanks for jumping in.What happens is that the RPM's never increase....just nothing happens at all with all engine parameters.regards,Ben

I myself had previously experienced this problem. Before I can explain the solution, you have to understand how the engine works. I presume you understand that propellers' pitch can be changed. In the J41, the pitch is maintained by oil pressure in the nose cone. When the engines are shut down properly, the propellers are held in position by stop latches. If they are not, the oil pressure drops and the propellers end up in the fully feathered position. See the stickied post on stop latches for pictures.If the props are fully feathered, they have a much larger surface area in the direction they spin, but the starter motor doesn't have enough power to move them quickly enough to start the engine because of this larger surface area. Had the engine been shut down properly this would not be a problem since they would not be feathered and therefore the surface area in the direction which the prop spins is smaller and the starter motor has enough power to start the engine. In order to move the props to this correct position, before you start the engines you have to use the UNFEATHER PUMP. This is a three-way switch located just under the #1 throttle control. Switch it to the L position then look out the window to your left and observe the propellers unfeathering. Wait for this to complete then: Turn on the fuel pumps; Turn off the avionics; Set the START SWITCH to L GND; And press the L ENGING START switch. Observe the engine stabalises before repeating the process for the right engine. Just make sure you set the UNFEATHER PUMP switch to R this time and switch to the copilot's seat to observe the propellers unfeather before commencing startup.Hope this helps, if you have any questions just ask.Thanks,Andy.

Hi Andy,Great explanation!Since i owe a Twin Engine License in RL, i know the story about feathering and unfeathering and my props indeed are unfeathered.To be sure i didn't make any mistakes, i did try what you said (in several load flight stages) just now, but no show unfortunately.Stay with me and come up with some more.....maybe we sure find a mistake and i can play with the bird....thanks anyway.regards,Ben

I can only start the engines of the j41 if I load the default cessna before jumping into the j41.Try to load the default cessna and then change to the j41 and perform an engine start.

It's quite late :(. If you can wait until tomorrow I'll make a post with some pictures stating clearly what should be done.Cheers,Andy.

If you are loading a saved JS41 flight, you really should load a default plane first. Mine is the Trike ultralight. There is a problem getting information to the JS41 program regarding its saved state when loaded from free flight that is overcome by loading from the load flight menu item.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Jimmatc
What happens is that the RPM's never increase....just nothing happens at all with all engine parameters.
So the engines don't turn over at all when you press start? Can you hear the starter motor turn?Check that the start selector is set to the correct engine. Also, sometimes you need to hold the start button in briefly.

So the engines don't turn over at all when you press start? Can you hear the starter motor turn?Check that the start selector is set to the correct engine. Also, sometimes you need to hold the start button in briefly.
Probably no gain for you, but I had the engines cranking but not lighting for a bit until I realized that the fuel pumps weren't on - noticeable in the tutorial where it has you check the fuel pressure/flow gauges. Good luck, Bruce.

Also, unless you put the props on the start latches when you unfeather them, you'll only have about 60 seconds in which to get them started before they feather again. Before you toggle the UNFEATHER switch, be sure to pull the power levers ALL THE WAY to the aft stops and leave them there until the unfeathering is complete. Then, move them back to ground idle.You'll need to use F2 or the mouse to pull the levers all the way back.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

I can only start the engines of the j41 if I load the default cessna before jumping into the j41.Try to load the default cessna and then change to the j41 and perform an engine start.
Hi carlos,Thanks for the tip, but i am doing that all the time :-)regards,Ben
It's quite late :(. If you can wait until tomorrow I'll make a post with some pictures stating clearly what should be done.Cheers,Andy.
Hi Andy,I understand......this would be great because one never knows when making a hidden failure....Thanks in advance!regards,Ben
If you are loading a saved JS41 flight, you really should load a default plane first. Mine is the Trike ultralight. There is a problem getting information to the JS41 program regarding its saved state when loaded from free flight that is overcome by loading from the load flight menu item.
Hi Dan,I do load FSX with the default Cessna, but i will try the Trike !Thanks,Regards,Ben
Hello James,The start motor works, but nothing is turning over.....i noticed that holding the start button is needed sometimes, so i do that.I check the right side of the startselector allway's, but thanks anyway.Regards,Ben
Probably no gain for you, but I had the engines cranking but not lighting for a bit until I realized that the fuel pumps weren't on - noticeable in the tutorial where it has you check the fuel pressure/flow gauges. Good luck, Bruce.
Hello Bruce,Thanks for jumping in, but the fuel pumps are on indeed.regards,Ben
Also, unless you put the props on the start latches when you unfeather them, you'll only have about 60 seconds in which to get them started before they feather again. Before you toggle the UNFEATHER switch, be sure to pull the power levers ALL THE WAY to the aft stops and leave them there until the unfeathering is complete. Then, move them back to ground idle.You'll need to use F2 or the mouse to pull the levers all the way back.
Hi Kurt,Thanks for attending this questionairy :-)Maybe here is something.....My props are never featured when i load the JS41 (Tutorial flight or my saved flights).So maybe we will have to search in that direction?I do use F2 to pull back the levers.Thanks again,Ben

Ben, I hope you share the fix when you find it, which I am sure you will. Sharing thus will help others with same problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ben, I hope you share the fix when you find it, which I am sure you will. Sharing thus will help others with same problem.
hello Dan,I wish i could...... :-(After again 4 hours trying even deleted and reinstalled the JS41 product and still no show.....I give up......no JS41 for me....am i the only one? .......would really love to use this product.....but when the engines do not start....i cannot use it.Even starting up the JS41 with running engines, shut them down properly (like it should) and after cooling down try to start them....but again...no show.Giving up....going back to FS2004......the JS41 was the only reason to switch over to FSX.I spend the money to buy it, spent about 30 hours to get it work......useless.lost my money but gained frustration......at least that is something :-)Thanks for jumping it in order to try to help me out.regards,Ben

Sorry to hear about your troubles Ben one thing reading this post did was remind me of a trim/AP issue I had where it was my trim control on my joystick is actually causing the problem. Is it possible that your mixture axis on whatever controller you are using is possibly malfunctioning or set wrong? Just a stab at it.