Sign in to follow this  
nandrews

"Blue out" in rain!

Very recently I have found I get a complete blue view (thru' front screen or sometimes all windows) whenever there is rain present!It is not seen in all aircraft but certainly in some default aircraft. and different airfields.If I switch to outside view there is no problem, but if I then look down I see the edge of a blue surface which seems to be floating!I think I accepted upgraded the video drivers a few days before the problem, but as it doesn't always rain I can't be sure of the cause.I accpted a later nVidia update yesterday but tha has made no difference.I have not noticed this before, even when it has been raining and haven't made any major cges to the PC or FSX set-up.Any ideas would be very welcome.ThanksNigel

Yes, I have seen this one too and wanted to ask about it, but forgot. I get this only in the Wilco 737 PIC, not in any other aircraft I tried.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Nigel:yes, fixes all aircraft ... just like darem stated.
"Fixes" is a relative term. It actually installs "dummy textures" for the 32 original bitmaps......which results in no VC Rain effect at all.The best solution is to d/l and install Joe Binka's file: vcrain.zip from the library.This will both eliminate the cited problem AND re-enable the VC Rain effect at the same time... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

But... in FSX by default there never was a VC rain effect, so what is the difference? The file you speak about also is a FS2004 mod, not a FSX one, does it work, and if it does, do you actually get the VC rain effect back in FSX?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

"Fixes" is a relative term. It actually installs "dummy textures" for the 32 original bitmaps......which results in no VC Rain effect at all.The best solution is to d/l and install Joe Binka's file: vcrain.zip from the library.This will both eliminate the cited problem AND re-enable the VC Rain effect at the same time... :(
Bill,They may be "dummy" files, but we did not make available Microsoft default files which legally is a no no and appears to be in the file you linked too. Only MS can do that.They solved the problem for everyone and we did it gratis. JimAlso available here: http://www.fsinsider.com/tips/Pages/Suppor...eintheRain.aspx

Whoops! have I stirred up a nest of hornets?!I would be interested to understand why the 'blue out' occurs and why it has only recently started appearing.I am surprised to read that rain on the screen was never a feature in the original FSX.Nigel

Bill,They may be "dummy" files, but we did not make available Microsoft default files which legally is a no no and appears to be in the file you linked too. Only MS can do that.They solved the problem for everyone and we did it gratis. JimAlso available here: http://www.fsinsider.com/tips/Pages/Suppor...eintheRain.aspx

I am surprised to read that rain on the screen was never a feature in the original FSX.Nigel
Yeah sorta sad isn't it, like we went backwards in timeOh well, tried the Lotus L-39 Albatross yet? (realistic landing lights, rain on VC canopy, good stuff)http://www.lotussim.com/

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Actually, Joe Binka's files are replacement textures he created for use in FS9. His "vcrain.zip" file predated F1's by several years, and he likewise "did it gratis..."The actual FS9 textures may of course be copy/pasted from any FS9 installation, or downloaded from MS directly via the page you referred to:http://www.fsinsider.com/tips/Documents/FS9VCRain.zipAgain I simply stated that "fix" is a relative term. Where one simply eliminates the initial problem of opaque glass in FS9 ported aircraft, the other not only "fixes" the problem, but "restores" the original functionality.In no case have I attempted to diminish the value of the freely given work from F1, but did wish to point out the alternative.

Fr. Bill    

Whoops! have I stirred up a nest of hornets?!I would be interested to understand why the 'blue out' occurs and why it has only recently started appearing.I am surprised to read that rain on the screen was never a feature in the original FSX.
FSX will support VC Rain effect for aircraft which have either been ported from FS9, or for which the modeler has made manual edits to the .x files prior to recompiling in the case of a native FSX interior model.Unfortunately, ACES "forgot" to include the 32 bitmaps required for the VC Rain effect to occur. Without the transparency provided by the bitmap's, Alpha channel, the "windows" of an FS9 interior model are rendered opaque in FSX whenever it is raining.The reason why ACES chopped the VC Rain effect from FSX models is simply because they changed the rendering engine to make use of Shaders, which eliminated the chained-texture rending for FSX models.

Fr. Bill    

Just looked for "vcrain.zip" in the AVSIM library but only come up with vcrain.jpg.Any thoughts?ThanksNigel

Just looked for "vcrain.zip" in the AVSIM library but only come up with vcrain.jpg.Any thoughts?ThanksNigel
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=57104

Fr. Bill