Sign in to follow this  
Guest maxb

PMDG 7470400X and available memory

Guest maxb

Dear PMDG Support,Before even taxiing with the programmed 747-400X, FSX shuts down with this message: "Your computer has run out of available memory ..." I remember that someone mentioned this same problem, but stopped looking for this hit, after searching through 8 pages, consuming nearly half 'n hour.My new PC, fast enough for FSX, has 4 gig DDR2 memory. Guess it's not enough. Anybody out there having solved this issue?Thanks,Max Moehl

If you have a 32bit OS then that is the problem, it cannot access your 4Gb of memory. Do a search on 32b switch to find more information.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest mercair

I use Vista 32 bit and suffered the same problem. Recently Microsoft issued a SP2 for Vista. My computer now reads 4GB memory. Crashes disappeared.RegardsGraham mercer

do you use winxp?if so open the boot.ini located in C:\behind /fastdetect you can add /3GBYour 32bit system is always using 50% of your memory. with this "switch" win xp will only use 1GB

hi ok trying to located the boot.ini in my c drive but unable to locate it yet

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

It's a hidden file; go up to folder options and check "show hidden files and folders". Hope that helps.

yes i got show hidden files and folders checked was wonderiong where is the boot.ini is under c drive which folder is it under

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Dear PMDG Support,Before even taxiing with the programmed 747-400X, FSX shuts down with this message: "Your computer has run out of available memory ..." I remember that someone mentioned this same problem, but stopped looking for this hit, after searching through 8 pages, consuming nearly half 'n hour.My new PC, fast enough for FSX, has 4 gig DDR2 memory. Guess it's not enough. Anybody out there having solved this issue?Thanks,Max Moehl
The fix is a 64-bit operating system however this may help:This is for 32bit XP ONLY. For Vista and additional information on XP and FSX tuning see this: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041This will give you the option at boot to either utilize the 3/GB switch or not.This method is safer than adding the /3GB switch to the existing boot line because if something does go wrong you will have the option to boot without the switch as per normal. I also will add that the 3/GB switch is a dirty band-aid that can cause a host of other issues. It is a last resort and should not be viewed as a permenent cart blanch fix all. The real fix is to use a 64-bit system. This is also the reason to add the switch as a seperate line so that you do not have to use the 3GB switch all the time. The 3GB switch was intended by MicroSoft to be used for testing purposes only. Also the switch needs to be tuned by using the USERVA setting in order to better ensure that the 3/GB switch if used alone does not cause other memory issues. It's dirty I don't like it and I changed to xp-64 so that I didn't have to do it anymore. I would also like to say that this switch is usefull regardless as to the amount of physical memory installed (RAM). In other words it works with 1GB or 2GB or 4GB of physical memory. It tunes the virtual memory of the operating system and has nothing to do with the amount of physical memory installed on the system is my point. The OOM issue is a virtual issue not a physical issue at least when using 2GB or more of physical RAM. clicking on

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

hello, as i understand it, according to the Microsoftwebsite, this "boot.ini" fix is only available to users of windows xp Professional and NOT to xp home edition. i stand corrected if i misread the subject. richard welsh

hello, as i understand it, according to the Microsoftwebsite, this "boot.ini" fix is only available to users of windows xp Professional and NOT to xp home edition. i stand corrected if i misread the subject. richard welsh
Everything I posted is equally applicable to Home as well Richard. XPP does have a feature that Home is lacking and that feature is a boot ini configurator see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Gary,how exactly do you edit your "exe" file?Charles Poole
Charles, down load this program: http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.phpFollow the instructions here http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=249474 Post#21 NickNEven though the instructions are for FSX SP1 the process is the same just use the file path for FS instead of FSX.Also see: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70063I have never had to do this myself as I run FSX-SP2This should be done for FS2004 ONLY! This should be done regardles of what operating sytem is in use Vista, XP 32 or 64 bit systems. This is not for FSX-SP2 not for FSX with Acceleration but should be used if running FSX-SP1 only.

Regards,
Gary Andersen