Sign in to follow this  
Hippo

Unable to change volume of clicking sound

Hi,RE: PMDG JS4100I am unable to change the volume of the clicking sound in the cockpit, either with the PMDG volume button (which actually doesn't seem to do anything), or by using the FSX volume sliders.This is quite annoying, as it is too loud.I do not wish to change the master volume of my system as this would affect everything else I use on my computer.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,John Nunez

Guest UlfB
Hi,I am unable to change the volume of the clicking sound in the cockpit, either with the PMDG volume button (which actually doesn't seem to do anything), or by using the FSX volume sliders.This is quite annoying, as it is too loud.I do not wish to change the master volume of my system as this would affect everything else I use on my computer.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,John Nunez
John,I guess the PMDG support would appreciate if you told them with what PMDG aircraft you have this issue.

Sorry about that. JS4100. Edited the initial post. Thanks for the reminder.

Actually, there are appear to be a number of sounds for which I can't adjust the volume. This includes things like the FO saying "Condition levers taxi"; I assume these are the PMDG sounds, whose volume should be adjusted by the PMDG volume control. Can someone confirm whether they are able to adjust the volume of these sounds, and how?

These sounds, especially the FO callouts were very soft on my machine to start with. I installed 2 more speakers in the meantime and is running 4 now, 2 front, 2 back and these callouts are now much louder. I hear them on the front speakers and the engine noise is coming from the back.FRED

I've realised that the volume control I described is probably there from my PMDG 747 - well it seems to work in the 747. However, my problem remains, I am unable to change the volume of the sounds in the cockpit.

I've realised that the volume control I described is probably there from my PMDG 747 - well it seems to work in the 747. However, my problem remains, I am unable to change the volume of the sounds in the cockpit.
I'm not sure if this is applicable in fsx/js4100 as I use neither,but with the pmdg 737 and XP for example you can adjust the sound file using microsoft sound recorder and lower the volume of any sound file you wish in seconds.regards Jim

OK, thanks for that. I'll give it a go. I'm not at my PC, but I assume it's just one file, and it should be easy to find?

OK, thanks for that. I'll give it a go. I'm not at my PC, but I assume it's just one file, and it should be easy to find?
If you're using Vista I believe you can't edit the volume in the wav file but you can in XP.fs9/sounds/pmdg(find aircraft model)/ and locate the sound file you want.With sound recorder go to accessories/entertainment/sound recorder and bring up the file you want and then go to 'effects' in sound recorder and choose 'lower volume',then play the sound and if its now ok ,you're done.regards Jim

For now, editing the wav files is going to be the only way - you should be able to lower the volume as a batch operation using a sound editor like Audacity, which is free.If we do an SP2, we'll see about adding in the volume control functionality, but it's not as simple as it sounds. The sound code used in the MD-11 and 744 is not the same as the J41s for a legal reason I'm not going to go into...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Would this lowering of the sound files also work on external view sounds of PMDG aircraft? I've always found external sounds to be quite loud. Is there common PMDG filename for external sounds among the three FSX PMDG aircraft?

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

OK, put the files through Audacitiy and this is now fine for me. Thanks everyone for your help.