Hello. I believe this is my first time posting on here. I'm still using ActiveSky 6.5 for FS9 and I've been having trouble trying to depict solid IMC conditions. I always create a flight plan and load the plan in ActiveSky. For some reason, I can NEVER get a good, solid overcast condition. Nor am I able to actually fly "through" the clouds. It always seems that no matter where I am in a descent to a cloud deck, I never actually descend into it, into a white out. The clouds are always just below, or just in front of the airplane. I want to be able to fly into the cloud layers. I want to be able fly in solid IMC without having to set the visibility low. Sometimes, I'm able to get an overcast condition, but it always seems thin and shallow. I can ALWAYS see the ground directly below me no matter what the condition.I've been through all the tweaking posts and have set up the options in every variety of configurations that is possible. I am able to get good layers and fly through clouds when I use the default weather in the simulator, although it doesn't solve my problem with seeing the ground below me. Another issue is with the last flight I completed. The weather at KIAD (my destination) was visibility 10 with broken at 2300 and overcast at 4000. I arrived with 3 miles and haze. I checked the metar that was pulled by the program and it was 3 hours old. It depicted the right weather, but at too late a time.Here are my configuration settings.//ASv6.5 configuration file Build 552[General]WindowPosX = 4230WindowPosY = 0DefaultWeatherFolder = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Modules\ASv6\SuppressionCeiling = 2000SurfaceWindLimit = 10FS9Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\PersonalAppDataFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\CloudLayerLimit = 10LocalSuppressionRange = 50MinimumVisibility = 0MaximumVisibility = 30LastPlanFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\AutoVasFrequency = 30AutoVasStrength = 30TurbulenceFrequency = DefaultStartupLocation = KOKVDefaultGraphicsFullTheme = Wx-InfluencedDefaultGraphicsCirrusTheme = Wx-InfluencedAutoSubmitGraphicsTheme = TrueIncreasedWake = FalseDisableWindsAloft = FalseForcePrimaryServer = FalseForceSecondaryServer = FalseGEProAutoSubmit = FalseUseFetchedStationforGEPro = TrueShowDecodedMBasDecimal = FalseSkyOverride = GEPROFavorCumulus = FalseForceRoutePressure = FalseForceLowestCeiling = TrueUnpauseOnReadyStatus = FalseDisableWriteThrottle = FalseDisableProcessThrottle = FalseForceTstormsWithCB = FalseAutoSetFSTime = TrueIgnoreFSLocationUntilReady = TrueAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueAutoRefreshAI = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseEnableGEProWideFSMode = FalseExtendedThrottling = FalseForceRouteAloftTemp = FalseOfflinePlayback = FalseEnableVAS = FalseAutoGenVAS = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = TruePreventIcing = TrueOnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseDisableAllGroundUpdates = FalseGlobalWrites = FalseDepictFS9HazeLayer = FalseExtendTstormLayers = TrueDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = FalseLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = FalseDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = FalseUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = TrueFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = FalseAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = TrueAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 10VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = -4AloftPredictability = 90WindDriftRate = 0MaxCloudThickness = 20000MinStratusSeparation = 500TAFProcessing = FalseEnforceVisibilityLimits = FalseWakeTurb = FalseStartPaused = FalseUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEThank you for your help.Robert

Hi Robert,1. You need to Force Cumulus, not force your destination weather and not force lowest ceiling.2. In FS you need to have cloud coverage set to maximum with 3D clouds at %100.3. What are your system specs?4. Are you locking FPS in FS to a certain value?Please let me know.Thanks,

Hi Robert,1. You need to Force Cumulus, not force your destination weather and not force lowest ceiling.2. In FS you need to have cloud coverage set to maximum with 3D clouds at %100.3. What are your system specs?4. Are you locking FPS in FS to a certain value?Please let me know.Thanks,
Thanks for your reply. I'll go ahead and change those settings. I do currently the FS settings setup correctly. My computer is an Intel i7 920 at 3.5 Ghz...Nvidia GTX 275...4GB memory. I'm running XP Pro 64bit. I have my frames locked at 50. If I set it to unlimited, I get really bad stuttering issues.

Hi Jim, may i ask, what is the best settings to achieve this within ASA? RegardsChris

Chris Howard

Hi,Please try this:Default settings in ASA but with cloud layers set to 20.Lock your FPS in FS to a low enough number.3D clouds set to maximum coverage in FS.Not sure if you are using FS04 or FSX.Thanks,

Hi,Please try this:Default settings in ASA but with cloud layers set to 20.Lock your FPS in FS to a low enough number.3D clouds set to maximum coverage in FS.Not sure if you are using FS04 or FSX.Thanks,
Hi Jim, sorry i forgot to mention this was regarding fs9 but anyway i tried your suggestions and it has made a very big diff, so as always thanks for your help!Chris

Chris Howard

I currently trying out a flight with the new settings. Took off from KORD with some rain and couple of broken layers. It's looking better now. Thank you for your help.Quick question - does ActiveSky Advanced offer anything new in regards to depiction of IMC. I was thinking of buying it.Robert