Sign in to follow this  
markturner

Advice on settings for i7 DO920 overclock please

I wondered if any of you guys overclocking your i7920 could give me some advice as to settings to use.I have just built a new secondary pc to run fsx on, and wanted to clock my processor to as near 4Ghz as i can get it. I am using a titan fenrir cooler, apparently the best in class. My memory is Mushkin redline ascent PC3-12800 DDR3 part number 998692. I am using an Asus P6TD deluxe motherboard. I have found some pretty good articles on line, but as some of the descroptors did not exactly match what I had in the BIOS, I was a bit hesitant to commit. ( For example in this guide at www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-4-a.html the guy is referring to vdimm, which I cant find and his list of settings is not exhaustive) i wondered if anyone could post complete bios settings and any recommendations for memory settings. i overclocked my other PC with NickN's help, but am not really confident to try this without a bit more advice. Thanks, Mark

Guest Nick_N

ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 Template i7 920 DDR3 1600 6-7-6-18JumperFree Configuration SettingsAI Overclock tuner: MANUALCPU Ratio Setting: 20xIntel

Nick, you must have those settings memorized by now. Mark, I have a SLBEJ (I think there were a couple batches of D0 chips) and I got to 4Ghz at a vcore of 1.34 using these settings. 1.32 gave me strange results in OCCT (one core temp dropping down to 28c...) Max temp with FSX running is around 72c (usually around 68c) and my cooler/case is not that great.So far, the system is running great. I haven't thrown any AI aircraft at it yet so I am sure ai will hurt performance quite a bit.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Perfect Nick, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much. I tried these settings and everything was cool, booted up fine first try, running at spot on 4GHz, temperature wise it was sitting at around 78 degrees, for the first one hour OCCT run I did. I will do some more OCCT runs today and double check how it goes. Thanks again guys, very helpful. I am planning to use this as my main FSX rig now and using the wideview software, network it to my older PC and use both to run FSX, one running instruments and cockpit view on 2 screens, the other displaying outside view. Should be cool!! I have a sexy new Dell 30 inch monitor that runs at 2560 x 1600 for the main display, its awesome !! Cheers, Mark

Guest Nick_N

If you are using the P6T DELUXE v2 Mark, make sure you are on BIOS 504

Hi Nick, in system information, in the bios it says version 0106 dated 07/15/09. At the bottom of the bios screen it says v02.61 american megatrends. A bit confusing!The boardis a P6TD deluxe, i thought I was buying the P6T Deluxe v2, maybe I have not quite the same board? Cheers, Mark

My Bios options are slightly different Nick, for DRam, nearest option is 1603MHz, and for UCLK 3208MHz. My DRAM frequency nearest choice is DDR3-1603MHz. My base clock frequency is 200, My CPU voltage is at 1.35, but is highlighted red, same as the QPI/DRAM voltage value.I have confused myself a bit here, I had up on the screen this thread: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=30486 while you were obviously replying to my OP and when I glanced at your reply, it seemed as though the values were the same. ( It was late and I was tired!) Now I can see that the values are slightly different in the two threads. The ones I followed were on the simforums reply.I think I must have a slightly different board, ( it looks identical to pictures I can find of the deluxeV2 however) but hopefully no drama, as i say, it is clocked at 4ghz seeminly ok at the moment . Do you want me to screenshot CPUz details? Edit, i just found this thread: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=798500 that explains the differences. From what I can see its essentially the same board but with slightly different cooling and power characteristics.cheers, Mark

With the initial settings from this thread Nick, it failed OCCT after 10 minutes, too hot. It was good on the settings from Al Jordans thread, albeit some values very slightly different as in this bios there were not the exact same values to choose, so I went nearest. Am currently trying your "if fail try the 3.8ghz" settings.Are the values in the other thread still relevant, or have they been superceeded by bios releases etc? Cause i seemed to be able to hold 4ghz on those settings.Cheers, Mark

Guest Nick_N

I did not know this was the P6TD, then you are on the release BIOS which is fineMark, what may be happening with settings differences could be related to a bug in the BIOS

Hi Nick, I am back on Al jordans settings as originally, just had to drop the CPU voltage a tad to get it right but its stable at 4 GHz and not exceeding 78 degrees now, thank you, best, Mark

Cool, glad you got it locked in. You're gonna love it!

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

If you are using the P6T DELUXE v2 Mark, make sure you are on BIOS 504
Hi NickWhat about vers. 0610. Dated: 2009/09/08? Do i have to use vers. 0504 or....?BRGDSStein-OveNew Owner I7 920 :-) :(

Guest Nick_N
Hi NickWhat about vers. 0610. Dated: 2009/09/08? Do i have to use vers. 0504 or....?BRGDSStein-OveNew Owner I7 920 :-) :(
reports of overclock instability with 610 which is why I suggest 504.. its been rock stable for a long timeYMMV

reports of overclock instability with 610 which is why I suggest 504.. its been rock stable for a long timeYMMV
Ok, thank you. Stein-Ove

Hi NickI have now bios 0504, CPU Voltage: 1.25v,CPU PLL Voltage: auto,QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.30,Running at 3800 mhz on air.And OCCT 1 hour and not over 70c. (Run 4 times now) same result each time. 21581 in 3DMark 06.I must say i'm pleased with that, and that's by help from your's post's here on the forum. Thank You. :( Specs: Win XPx64, I7 920 D0, 3x2 Mushkin 1600, 7.8.7.20, Evga GTX 285, and 4 HDD's Sata2, now it's time to go on with your guide's to tune my computer and the sim's... :( BrgdsStein-Ove