Sign in to follow this  
pampiermole

radar contact and fmc

What is the best way to use radar contact and a plane with a good fmc, eg PMDG. The FMC calculates a good path of desent, but it's different from the instructions gives by radar contact. So VNAV is a problem? Same issue with sids and stars. Can it be used together?Martin

What is the best way to use radar contact and a plane with a good fmc, eg PMDG. The FMC calculates a good path of desent, but it's different from the instructions gives by radar contact. So VNAV is a problem? Same issue with sids and stars. Can it be used together?Martin
as in the real world, when it comes down to whether the fmc is to be followed or atc, atc is always the authority. that being said, rc will typically start you down sooner than the fmc says is optimal. that is why we added the "pilot's discretion" descent option. so when the controller tells you to start your descent, you choose the "pilot's discretion" choice, and fly further until the fmc thinks it's time to descend. then you can start your descent.but you still have to make your crossing restriction, which your fmc may not be taking into account.jd

Regarding terminal procedures (SIDs/STARs) RC4 knows nothing about the waypoints involved. They must be put into the FS flight plan sent to RC.I use a flight planner that contains a SID/STAR database. I export the built plan to the FMC for import (proprietary PMDG format) and in the FS format for loading in RC. That way RC and your FMC will have the same plan.If you wish you can just export your plan up to a starting a common SID waypoint or ending at a common STAR waypoint within about thirty miles from the airport. The common point should be in both the FMC database and the .pln file. In RC you can use a no altitude restriction option for departure and on arrival after handed off to departure select IAP. In these cases RC will expect you to navigate your own way during terminal procedures so you should be able to use your FMC database for these.The simplest method is the first where the entire plan from a flight planner is put into the FMC and RC. That eliminates the need for AIRAC sync of the planner and FMC data.For the PMDG 737NG and probably the 747 the procedure to import a plan select CO_ROUTE on the FMC RTE page 1. You can find if you wish the available labels of flight plan on the FMC by going to INDEX/NAVDATA/FLIGHT_PLANS. Scroll through the list available and LSK the name you want to put it in the scratch pad. Then go to RTE page 1 and LSK it into the CO_ROUTE. you can then activate it and EXE it if you wish. Alternately you can manually key the name into the scratch pad.This takes care of HNAV. For VNAV if importing the terminal procedures you'll have to edit the LEGS page as altitudes are not imported from flight plans. If you use the FMC database the altitudes will be there. For RC if you wish to use FMC altitudes you can choose NOTAMS which will let you deviate during approach from RC dictated altitudes when receiving vectors without redress. If you are using the RC IAP method where you navigate your full approach that is not necessary as you will be totally on your own until told to contact tower.Whether using a STAR or not from the FMC database, I always load the runway final approach from the FMC database (right side of the FMC arrivals listing) so it displays on the ND and gives altitude guidance. This shows the extended runway center line which is handy for doing an LOC/ILS intersect as you can judge when to start turning the aircraft and what altitude is needed for the intersect point.One other hint is to use the FMC FIX page. Enter the ICAO code of the destination airport and for the heading/distance enter /40. This will put a range ring of 40 nm around the airport center on your ND. This is just outside of where your crossing restriction altitude will be located so on descent you can alter speed and V/S monitoring the ND altitude trend descent arcs to insure you'll meet that restriction.

That's what I do. I use the FIX option on the FMC to place that crossing restriction and disconect VNAV and use manual inputs into the VS. Usually, for the PMDG 737 800/900, when told by RC to descend I find that putting in a vertical speed of around 1400-1600 (depending on what FL you are at) I get there close to or around that restriction. From what I've seen, most people (actual pilots included) when descending usually don't descend using VNAV.Chris

That's what I do. I use the FIX option on the FMC to place that crossing restriction and disconect VNAV and use manual inputs into the VS. Usually, for the PMDG 737 800/900, when told by RC to descend I find that putting in a vertical speed of around 1400-1600 (depending on what FL you are at) I get there close to or around that restriction. From what I've seen, most people (actual pilots included) when descending usually don't descend using VNAV.Chris
That is what I do too, but it feels as a waste of my beautiful FMC

Why not insert a 40 mile waypoint into your plan? FSNav for FS9 makes this easy; not sure if other planners make it so.Then when you're given the instruction to descend to FL110 / 120 insert that against the waypoint and leave the MCP in VNav mode? Works fine for me every time. :(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather