Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Some General Updates

Captains-Now that we've all had a chance to get caught up after the release of the BAe JS4100, I wanted to drop in with a few thoughts and some general updates on progress for a few projects.PMDG Launches US Retail Distribution:=========================First, by now many of you have noticed that the PMDG 747-400X is currently available in Best Buy stores throughout the USA. For a few year now, we have been exploring ways that we might be able to expand the awareness of the flight simulation products to customers who might not otherwise stumble across the vast online resources related to MSFS. In Europe, the market for add-ons is very strong, but here in the USA the homogenization of retail stores makes it very difficult to breach this market without significant costs and risk factors. We have been fortunate to be able to partner with our friends at Aerosoft and our (new!) friends at Best Buy to provide a range of titles to the US market for the coming holiday season.Our ambition is that we might reach the attention of some holiday shoppers who might not otherwise realize the depth of products available to the aviation enthusiast.Getting into Best Buy comes with some positives and one or two negatives. One of those negatives is that we do not control their pricing mechanism, and as such this endeavor is putting downward pressure on our pricing for the 747 product line. Effective tonight we have lowered the price of the PMDG 747-400X by $25, the PMDG 747-400 for FS9 by $15 and the PMDG 747-400F for FS9 by $10. This price change was supposed to be in effect on 14OCT09 to coincide with product availability at Best Buy, but an error on my part caused it not to be made live in our system. (Yes, it was a really simple data entry item that I've done a few dozen times, and yes, I put the numbers into the system incorrectly... Conspiracy theorists will have a field day with this- so lets just tell them it is part of a sinister master plan, shall we?)As a courtesy, we are in the process of issuing refunds to anyone who purchased any of the three products listed above beginning 14OCT09 because our intent was that you should have had a lower purchase price. It will take a few days to process the refunds, but you can tell that you have been processed by checking the price listed in your PMDG eCommerce account.)The obvious question to ask: Why is the online price higher than what Best Buy is selling for? The 747-400X is an older product now, and the price at Best Buy is a promotional price. If you want this fantastic product at that price, I recommend acting quickly. :-)All of us at PMDG are very excited with this test marketing effort as it gives us the opportunity to reach out to customers who might not know about this little hobby of ours. We hope that simmers here in the USA will embrace these titles at Best Buy.PMDG 737NG2=========Work is progressing nicely on the NG! I'm going to be realistic and tell you that we will not show you anything in the airplane in the near term. As we've mentioned, the BAe JS4100 was the technology testbed for the visual processes that will be used in the NG. The process of building that cockpit has just begun in earnest, and I'm certain it will catch up to the code-side of the project that is now officially one year old.We already have a few features in the airplane that we anticipate will generate quite a bit of excitement. I must remain cagey about what they are- but to quell the obvious hopefuls- they have nothing to do with weather radar. We are examining a few ways to simulate radar, but as is our usual approach, if it cannot be done reasonably realistically it won't happen. (Insert my usual comments here about how the prevailing "radar" technologies currently available aren't even remotely like the radar we use in flight...)I've read some conjecture that the PMDG 737NG2 would be released before the end of 2009. I want to make it clear that PMDG has not offered any release date expectation, but I can assure you it will not happen in 2009. :( We MIGHT have some images to show you before the end of the year, depending upon some engineering support from Boeing, but we will not have a releasable airplane for you before 2010 arrives!There have been a number of threads asking whether we intend to support FS9 with the NG2 product. The last time we evaluated platform support was over two years ago- and it was decided at that time to support both FSX and FS9. We have made no further evaluation or decisions on the topic, and will continue to monitor the marketplace. We DO know that the FSX version will be first to market and that we will evaluate the state of FS9 product sales as we near release of the FSX version. While we certainly have a large number of customers still supporting FS9, the global sales of FS9 products have fallen off a cliff during the past six months, so we need to constantly evaluate the trends. If we see that FS9 customers are still supporting the sale of FS9 products financially (and not just verbally) then you can expect an FS9 version. PMDG MD-11 Advanced Tutorial:=====================We now have this in-house for review. This tutorial has been a significant source of frustration for me, for the forum mods and for a number of you because it was anticipated that it would be released with the product on 13OCT08. That obviously didn't happen, and it has taken poor Markus quite a bit longer to complete than I think even he realized.We have some QC checks to run on it, and a few other detail items to take care of- and we'll get it out to you when ready. This could take days, or it might take a few weeks- it is hard to say at this point because my plate is full with some other tasks that are pressing.As we've advised all along: When it is ready, we'll send it out to you!PMDG Paintkits:==========We have (Re)released the PMDG MD-11 FS9 paintkit. This was available and was accidentally removed from the downloads page quite awhile ago. It is back.The PMDG BAe JS4100 now has a paintkit available on that page also!PMDG Dash-8:=========We will have some preview information on this project soon. Prepare to have your assumptions turned on their ear. :( That is all I have for now- we are hard at work and looking forward to the big-final push on the NG2!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Robert,Thanks for the extensive update. One thing I miss: how are things going with the reported artefacts error in the Js41? Is there going to be a new service pack or could you maybe give us a 'hot fix' to get rid of it?

Pieter-We have not decided on this as yet. The artifacts are localized to certain users- and generally speaking seem to appear in conditions where the simulator is heavily loaded. Dialing down the detail level (either in our model, or in the scenery/traffic/app demand) appears to be the fix.I an trigger them on my (very heavyweight) development rig- but I can make them disappear just as easily by unburdening the sim a bit.As I mentioned - we are still debating how we want to address it...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thank you Robert.Although I am from Europe, I wishes you the best luck with the Sales Start in USA at Best Buy.Nice to hear about soon previews for the Dash 8. Since your J41 I mostly fly short distance flights with it and I sure will be flying with your Dash as soon as it will be released - may it be this year or next year - I don't care because you guys do an amazing job :)best wishes,

Captains-PMDG 737NG2=========There have been a number of threads asking whether we intend to support FS9 with the NG2 product. The last time we evaluated platform support was over two years ago- and it was decided at that time to support both FSX and FS9. We have made no further evaluation or decisions on the topic, and will continue to monitor the marketplace. We DO know that the FSX version will be first to market and that we will evaluate the state of FS9 product sales as we near release of the FSX version. While we certainly have a large number of customers still supporting FS9, the global sales of FS9 products have fallen off a cliff during the past six months, so we need to constantly evaluate the trends. If we see that FS9 customers are still supporting the sale of FS9 products financially (and not just verbally) then you can expect an FS9 version.
Sad to read it. This is cold water over the heads of us, FS9 simmers... :( :( What can we expect now ?. "Always the worst of the possibilities is the one that will happen" (From Murphy's laws).

Thanks for the updates.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest Jeffreymg

Robert, Thank you for all the new updated information and for keeping us informed on the tutorial. JeffG

Many thanks for the update and releasing the J41 paintkit, much appreciated. At last some Dash 8 screenshots and which version it may be ?Once again, many thanks for your efforts.

The PMDG BAe JS4100 now has a paintkit available on that page also!
any takers for a Lufthansa livery? hey, you may call me n00b but I don't care whether LH flies a JS41 :( But treat me nicely or I will hit the alarm button :( Phil

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

What a pity you couldn't give us FS9 users a clear yes or no for our sim. I've always anticipated the 737 to be released for either platform... I'm a bit dissapointed to hear this might actually not become the case :(

...good luck in the U.S. for you all!! Nice to read, that now someone more can enjoy your hard work- Fs without yours would be a much smaller community!! :)But don

Reg

Klaus

from LOWG

This is all good news. A field day for PMDg supporters!Concerning the 747X: A friend of mine in the US bought the 747X (ended up being $35 or so, including shipping costs to his house), and will then send it to me (I live in Holland). That way, I get a boxed version for a very low price. It's a pity I have to wait so long, but I think it's worth it. Any of you know how long it generally takes for Bestbuy stuff to arrive? Anyway, it is good to know that the prices have been also lowered at the online store, although the news has come too late for me. Anyway the Bestbuy stuff is cheaper :-PI'm very happy to hear about the progress of the NG2.0. I have officially decided to wait for it before I buy an Ariane plane, simply because I want a way to save my panel and then get the ability to load it later. Ariane planes don't have that option, and I'll need it for flights that take longer than 1,5 hour (flying time. I usually take 30 minutes to review everything and start the plane up, then taxi to the active and get ready for takeoff).And wow. Although I already knew it, I'm sooo glad we finally get a good Dash-8 for FSX. It's the plane I have been yearning for for god knows how long.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Thanks, Captain, for the updates. I hate to ask (for fear of opening up an entirely new can of worms) but can you provide us with any info on the A320 program?Many thanks,Ron Priever

This is certainly a great news for us! Thanks for your information!!But I still couldn't stop myself from asking: Can we have a final update for MD-11?? :(