Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

basic fsx navdata

Has anyone ever been able to update the fsx navdata. Im not talking about Navigraph 3rd party info, Im talking about a service that updates the legacy ( native ) data in the sim itself in order to make it consistent with all navigraph downloadsThoughts?Peter

Hi,No updates that I know of are possible to the stock FSX data.

It is possible to update the navaids used around airports, of course - addon scenery developers do that, or you can use a tool like http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/If you are asking about something that updates everything in one fell swoop, I don't think that is possible.

It is possible to update the navaids used around airports, of course - addon scenery developers do that, or you can use a tool like http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/If you are asking about something that updates everything in one fell swoop, I don't think that is possible.
I did not think it was possible, when i download 3rd party navdata it is always a bit off my native data. sometimes it is way off on an ils approachThanks for the help.Peter

I did not think it was possible, when i download 3rd party navdata it is always a bit off my native data. sometimes it is way off on an ils approach
If you download current AIRAC and procedure data e.g. from Navigraph, there *will* be problems at some MSFS stock airports. As an example, the stock EDDF (in FSX) uses 110.70 as the ILS frequency for rwy 25L, but the real-world airport (and Navigraph) uses 111.15. And of course, some airports have built new runways, or renamed existing runways, and again there will be a difference between the navdata updates and stock FSX. Buying addon-airports that you are particularly interested in (or making updates yourself) is one solution.In general, though, FSX is reasonably up-to-date - after all, these things do not change on a day-to-day basis. If you are *always" having problems with navdata updates, something is wrong with your setup. What type of problems are you having?I like flying online using real-world charts, on VATSIM or IVAO, so I update my navdata on a regular basis in order to be reasonably sure that I have the same fixes and procedures as the controllers. If you mostly fly offline, using the stock FSX airports, there is probably little reason to update.

One of the reasons this upgrade ability doesn't exist is due to how MSFS records the facilities information.Unlike add on airplanes, which typically use a database format, these bits of information are considered "scenery" by MSFS, and that makes updating problematic. Airport information, VOR/ADF transmitters, ILS, and GPS waypoint information are all stored inside of BGL files, the task of updating them is near impossible. This is why addon airports have the ability to alter and adjust these facilities, but a wholesale global changeout won't ever really come.

Unfortunately, it appears the way MS designed the navdata makes updating it a problem. FSX first reads all the default scenery folders and constructs a navdata database. then based on user aircraft location will read other scenery folders for that location. MS has provided a mechanism for substituting navdata via the other scenery folders, but that doesn't seem to be capable of fully modifying what is in the default database.As a result, some navdata can be updated by using the sdk bglcomp mechanisms which allow for replacement of default data (using a tool such as ADE) but for the rest, the only real solution is to replace the default files. The one exception is adding new elements probably works, but moving or changing existing elements won't. In most cases, if what needs to change is an approach, it can be done as long as the default VOR, marker, or ndb navaids don't have to be changed. scott s..

If you check the library, you will find that updated fsx navdata is available for some areas -- enterprising simmers have created addon bgl's to achieve this.For example, for Australia, check for "ants_aussie_waypoints.zip"Ron McKeirnan

As has been said, the sheer amount of work involved to keep up with the Navigraph cycle would be impossible to achive simply because all the data is scattered among so many different files... :( It's pretty much the same reason why there aren't any additional "voices" available. The sheer number of individual .wav files involved just for ONE voice is too terrible to contemplate! :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator