Sign in to follow this  
maverickr

FS and Mac

Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I was considering buying an Apple and was wondering if any version up thru FSX and any 3rd party add-ons work on a mac? Thank you.Mike

The new Macs with the Intel chips are dual boot. You can run Windows and anything that runs on windows. I have run FSX nicely on my Mac Book Pro, but not as nicely as on my dedicated gaming computer, however. Still, it is not a bad setup.But you are out of luck if you don't want to install Windows. OS X will only run X-Plane.

Indeed. For FSX you need Windows. To get Windows on a Mac, you can do three things:-Bootcamp: this will make your computer a dual boot. This means having a separate partition on your hard disk, which will hold the Windows OS.-Emulators: Parallels and VMWare are popular for that. You have Windows running within your Mac, so you can use both Mac and Windows at the same time. However, because running two OSs at the same time is resource hungry, I do not recommend it for anything that requieres a lot of processing power.-Crossover: Crossover is like WINE, but running on a Mac. It's principal is that you can run Windows programs without needing Windows. it works for some programs, but for most it doesn't. Don't count on it running FSX.Your'e best bet is dual boot. that's what I'm doing on my mid-2008 Macbook Pro, and it works quite well. What computer are you thinking of buying? Laptop, desktop? The laptops are quite good, but the iMacs might be better. problem though: ATI cards. I don't know how FSX works with them, although my old iMac ran it fine with its old ATI Radeon 1600X. With these newer iMacs and their ATI cards you might be fine, but honestly I wouldn't know. I only know my Macbook Pro runs it to my satisfaction and I hope it will be running it for some years to follow.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

The Macs works fine. I have a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro and run both dual boot (Apple's bootcamp-which comes standard with the Macs) with both FSX and FS9. You have to buy XP, Vista or Win7 separately. I'd recommend a USB mouse with the laptop instead of its trackpad, which can be a little flaky in XP. I can suggest a Mac reseller who will install XP OEM with your purchase if you PM me.