Sign in to follow this  
Guest james_2k

DX10 Runway/Taxiway flickering FIX !

Guest james_2k

Hi guys, Im using DX10 mode because of the quadruple framerate it gives me. but the texture flicker was highly annoying, i noticed when i was doing up my local airport (dundee - on the library now) that the flicker stopped and after a few modifications, came back. i didnt know why this was.then i found out if i added a taxiway with a concrete texture, the flickering wouldnt happen.tested at egpt. stock airport - flicker. added a concrete taxiway (by itself) in ADE. no flicker. removed that taxiway. flicker!same result with glasgow. with that small concrete taxiway there was no flickering.Tested also at KPLDso could someone test this on an airport they know flickers with dx10 on?load it up in fsx, check for flickers.if it has them then load it up in Airport Design Editor, check what taxiways are used (the examples above use asphalt) then add a concrete one just a small one with 2 nodes, doesnt need to connect to anything.then boot up fsx and check for the flickering.if its fixed then you can try removing that taxiway and they should come back.---Also please try this in the ones that worked for me: EGPN - EGPT - EGPF - KPLD.---If you dont have ADE:it wont let me attach a zip to this post but my uploaded EGPN doesnt flicker. so you can test if you like if you dont have ADE installed. so load up egpn, see if its flickering, then put this file in /addon scenery/scenery. and let me know if it worked :)sorry if this is old news :Saddons:Gex, Rex, UTXAddenum:lookie here for info on how to improve your rain/snow effects in DX10. just found it myself and its insanely awesome

Guest james_2k

i didnt use his file i just made the changes to the shader file in the fsx folder. but if you pm me your email address ill send the .fx file to you. 100% credit to cbuchner1 of courseit goes inF:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\miscyou replace the existing file there (backing up of course)Then you have to delete the file: Rain40.fx_0-...in the :F:\Users\James\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10\ShadersHLSL\miscreplacing james with your username of course :) assuming withdows 7 or vista as you cant do it on xp anyway. once you load fsx it recompiles the file and sticks a fresh copy into that appdata folder.And thanks for looking into it, it certainly has fixed my flickering (just need to edit any flickery airports i come across though)

Guest james_2k

had a couple of PMs about the rain/snow fix so rather than have to email everyone ill upload the .txt file.with this, open it in notepad, select ALL the text, then cut/copyopen the 'rain40.fx' file (in X:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\misc) (not the .fxh one) with notepad and delete its contents, then paste in the text you just cut/copied from the text file and save. (remember to backup before you do this of course).now as i said above, go to X:\Users\James\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10\ShadersHLSL\misc replacing my name with your username.and delete the file beginning with rain40 (theres only one)then load up fsx. done.then come and tell us how much better it is, because it really is :)DX10 only.if you get no rain, the text wasnt all copied, just run through the steps again.

James, I suggest that you open another thread with the rain fix.This one was about the DX10 Runway/Taxiway flickering...BTW the solution to avoid flickering is to replace the asphalt apron surface with a concrete one.The flickering appears where the asphalt apron meets the asphalt (or concrete) taxiway or runway.This trick works in any place.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest james_2k

all the airports i listed above have asphalt runways linking to asphalt taxiways in asphalt aprons. with no flickering (unless i remove the small concrete taxiway). so i dont think thats correct, not directly anyway.feel free to split the topic into two if you like. was just supposed to be a 'ps'

all the airports i listed above have asphalt runways linking to asphalt taxiways in asphalt aprons. with no flickering (unless i remove the small concrete taxiway). so i dont think thats correct, not directly anyway.
You're maybe right.I'm gonna give a try and report.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest james_2k

thanks! the airports above at stock are confirmed flickerers :) -strange that one little concrete taxiway anywhere on the airport would fix it.

thanks! the airports above at stock are confirmed flickerers :) -strange that one little concrete taxiway anywhere on the airport would fix it.
James, it works as well!So both the solutions are OK:Yours, adding a small concrete taxiway anywhere.Mine, replacing one of the asphalt aprons with a concrete one.:--))

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest james_2k

nice one. i was very happy to find any solution! :)

Isn't adding a ADE afcad enough to solve the flickering (without changing any of the surfaces)? Just a thought. I remember i had flickering surfaces in DX9 with Afcad tool #1, while with Afcad tool #2 the surface was solid (just as an example).Gerrit

Guest james_2k

i thought so too initially but this isnt true.you can test by removing the 'fix' from the ade bgl. you will get the flickers back.

Will also test tonight. KORH default is a terrrrrible flickerer.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest Hardwater

I'm lost with how to fix DX10 mode. Can someone do a quick run through of what I need to do. And what about the rain fix is this for everyone? Or just the people that were experiencing problems? Thanks

Guest james_2k

ill write a quick guide in a bit.about the rain: its not for the flickers. but it is for dx10 which this thread is about. and it makes it look way better :)