Sign in to follow this  
JHepburn

Flare Maneuver

So, if I read the tutorial correctly, the correct landing procedure is to retard thrust to flight idle at 200ft above landing elevation. In doing this, I get what amounts to a very long flare maneuver as the airspeed bleeds off in order to stay on the glide...followed by another flare just prior to touchdown to reduce airspeed.Is this the correct procedure? No one said this should be easy, but I'm finding this very difficult when adding in some other things...like kicking out crab angle in a x-wind. Thoughts?Thanks!

So, if I read the tutorial correctly, the correct landing procedure is to retard thrust to flight idle at 200ft above landing elevation.
:( Are you sure you have read or interpreted it correctly? Perhaps it says 20 ft or it is a typo. I never heard of any aircraft in which you would go to idle that high unless you were executing some sort of short-final emergency approach/landing from downwind leg.

:( Are you sure you have read or interpreted it correctly? Perhaps it says 20 ft or it is a typo. I never heard of any aircraft in which you would go to idle that high unless you were executing some sort of short-final emergency approach/landing from downwind leg.
Tutorial, pg 92...third paragraph from the bottom."Descending through 200

I think the pertinent info is 'begin bringing the throttles back GENTLY to idle' after disconnecting AP. Doing this from 200 ft does reduce the speed to about ref depending on your handling - takes a bit of practice. Just pulling the throttle back to idle and trying to hold the descent path will result in falling out of the sky. Try to aim for idle at the lever at about 40 ft, this seems to work for me.

I think the pertinent info is 'begin bringing the throttles back GENTLY to idle' after disconnecting AP. Doing this from 200 ft does reduce the speed to about ref depending on your handling - takes a bit of practice. Just pulling the throttle back to idle and trying to hold the descent path will result in falling out of the sky. Try to aim for idle at the lever at about 40 ft, this seems to work for me.
Ok, fair enough. I can certainly adapt, but I'm curious to know if this is how it's really done? It seems like this commits you to a landing sooner and increases chances of landing short more than keeping the props spooled until closer to the ground would. Robert/Nick...any further information?

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Hi Jeff,I don't have the J41 or its manual installed at the moment so I can't review the section you cited, but I'm pretty sure that the intended result is to arrive over the threshold at Vref. Remember that the normal procedure is to fly the approach at Vref+15, but you don't want to be carrying that speed into the flare. So a power reduction at approximately 200ft is appropriate in order to get slowed down to Vref, but this shouldn't be confused with the flare maneuver itself. It may well be that under ideal conditions, a slow and steady power reduction beginning at Vref+15 at 200ft and ending at Vref at 20-40ft could be accomplished in a single movement, but I think the two phases (the deceleration and the flare) are distinct.I'm positive that Robert can give you a much more insightful answer. Hope that helps though.

Those geared props are not going to turn into air brakes just because you dump the power, in my opinion this bird doesn't need power inside the fence line unless you are already slow or have lots of head wind. The key is not being too fast because she doesn't like to slow down. I like holding the flare (in light winds) until I touch the mains at the same time I get a stall warning but it takes practice and a few extra feet of runway (but don't float for more than 500 ft).

Dan Downs KCRP